Author Topic: Hey Congress! Focus on Jobs, Not on Us!  (Read 48418 times)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Re: Hey Congress! Focus on Jobs, Not on Us!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 12:34:41 pm »
However, I think I have a solution.

Let's take all the abortion clinics, and have the doctors turn them into Vasectomy Clinics.  Men could go in and have the reversable surgery, which will prevent pregnancies, and then there would be no need for the abortions.

That solution is already available. Its just that men who want the procedure go to a regular hospital rather than a clinic.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 12:36:31 pm »
Besides, I don´t think that´s what it is about. I think it´s about trying to please certain groups of voters.

Of course. They are trying to please those voters who don't want their tax money going to fund abortions.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 12:39:59 pm »
Of course. They are trying to please those voters who don't want their tax money going to fund abortions.
My guess is that they are rather trying to please groups who don´t want abortions at all.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 12:57:17 pm »
My guess is that they are rather trying to please groups who don´t want abortions at all.

Some of that population of constituents doesn't want abortion at all. But since they'll never get a ban passed, eliminating federal funding is a reasonable compromise.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 01:01:43 pm »
Some of that population of constituents doesn't want abortion at all. But since they'll never get a ban passed, eliminating federal funding is a reasonable compromise.
No, nothing reasonable about it.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 01:07:44 pm »
No, nothing reasonable about it.

You might not think so, but it beats a complete ban on all abortions.

If you were in office, what kind of compromise would you offer??

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 01:15:32 pm »
You might not think so, but it beats a complete ban on all abortions.

If you were in office, what kind of compromise would you offer??
Remember, Milo, that I live in a country where a ban on abortions hasn´t been on anyone´s agenda for a long time. The only times I ever discuss this issue is here on Bettermost.

I wouldn´t do anything that could possibly constrict women´s access to abortions.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 01:36:38 pm »
I wouldn´t do anything that could possibly constrict women´s access to abortions.

Again, keep in mind that removal of federal funding is not the same thing as a constriction on access. The non-profit organizations that manage the clinics where poor women get their abortions are only partially funded by the federal government. Those organizations will continue to operate without the federal funding, but they will have to find ways to make up for the federal dollars they will lose.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 02:02:29 pm »
Again, keep in mind that removal of federal funding is not the same thing as a constriction on access. The non-profit organizations that manage the clinics where poor women get their abortions are only partially funded by the federal government. Those organizations will continue to operate without the federal funding, but they will have to find ways to make up for the federal dollars they will lose.
You taking for granted that the federal dollars don´t make any difference sounds strange. These clinics often have a strained budget to being with. And besides, if the federal tax money didn´t make any difference, I doubt that the pro-life gang supporters would pursue this ban as strongly as they have.

That this ban targets poor women makes it even worse. Politics should be humane.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 02:49:37 pm »
You taking for granted that the federal dollars don´t make any difference sounds strange. These clinics often have a strained budget to being with. And besides, if the federal tax money didn´t make any difference, I doubt that the pro-life gang supporters would pursue this ban as strongly as they have.

That this ban targets poor women makes it even worse. Politics should be humane.

Notice I didn't say that the $$ don't make a difference. I said that they will have to make up the difference if they want to perform the same number of abortions. The histrionics over this budget cut is exactly the same kind of "sky is falling" routine that my fellow opera singers go into every time there is a budget cut to money for arts organizations. What ends up happening is that the opera companies employ a variety of cost-cutting techniques paired with a variety of revenue-generating techniques. The opera companies have managed to survive all these years and several cuts to government arts funding.

If the opera companies can make it, the abortion clinics can make it too. Maybe they work with lower-cost medical staff. Maybe they ask their medical staff to see X number of patients each week for free. Maybe some of the clients that use the clinic are at an income level where they can pay at least part of their fees. Then again, being non-profits, they can always solicit more donors, and apply for grants.  

Here's an idea: All the Americans who want to make free abortion available can get together, pool their money, and start a foundation that provides grants to health clinics specifically for the purpose of abortion services.