Author Topic: New inventions in our lifetime........  (Read 38082 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: New inventions in our lifetime........
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2006, 08:25:35 am »
Sepaking of cameras, another invention of our lifetime were the polaroid instant cameras. I remember when they became trendy and everyone had one. 

Polaroid was invented by a man named Edward Land and the early models were called "the Polaroid Land camera." For years, I thought that mean you could only use them on land, ie, you couldn't take Polaroid on a boat to take a picture. I had a "Swinger" (remember those? the $19.99 Polaroid?) and one day I decided to be very daring and yes, take it on our boat to take a picture. Imagine my amazement when it worked!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2006, 11:01:09 pm »
Polaroid was invented by a man named Edward Land and the early models were called "the Polaroid Land camera." For years, I thought that mean you could only use them on land, ie, you couldn't take Polaroid on a boat to take a picture. I had a "Swinger" (remember those? the $19.99 Polaroid?) and one day I decided to be very daring and yes, take it on our boat to take a picture. Imagine my amazement when it worked!

Leslie

Is that the Polaroid camera that opened up like an accordion? My dad had one of those. You had to pull the picture out of the side of the camera, count to 60 (or something like that) and then peel the paper from the picture. Sometimes the picture would still have some white gooey slime on it. It would disappear a few minutes later. NASTY!  :P

I wonder what the hell ever happened to that camera?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2006, 11:03:08 pm »
WARNING NOT GUY FRIENDLY -

SKIP OVER SKIP OVER!!

pads with sticky strips on them...remember those little belts and the pads with the long ends??

Are you whispering again?

I heard you!  ;)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2006, 11:06:36 pm »

Leslie

I too, Leslie, used to think it was a land camera.....i didnt go on boats or fly, so wondered why they would distinguish it as a "land" camera........

Another thing with an ambiguous sounding name also had me confused for many many years......."pelvic floor exercises".......even after I had kids, and was told to do "pelvic floor exercises"....i thought i would have to get down on the floor to do pelvic exercises.......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2006, 11:25:31 pm »
Haa, katie (Sue?)
Yes, I remember the "Modess" so well. The belts...the short skirts...no pantyhose...trying to make sure your skirt covered the hose connection...and it never quite did.... !!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

injest

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2006, 12:08:32 am »
Are you whispering again?

I heard you!  ;)

well if you got grossed out then it is your own fault!! I warned you!

(D was watching TV one time...I guess he was about ten...and we just managed to catch several commercials for women's products. He turned to me with this LOOK on his face and said "girls are gross"...THANK YOU MADISON AVENUE!!)

I get his point though...you never see a man sitting out by the creek with his son discussing whether he feels 'fresh'...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2006, 12:24:48 am »
The switch/rocker deals on pop cans.

(Sorry, I don't know the correct name for them)

It may not be the most exciting invention in our life time, but remember those awful pull tabs they use to put on pop cans?

You would pull them off, and there was NEVER a trash can nearby to put it in. So, people would just throw them on the ground. Those little suckers were sharp too. I have no idea how many times I stepped on them barefoot as a kid. I saved a lot of mine and made chains with them. Sometimes I would just drop them down in my pop can. My mother hated that. She would say "Don't do that! You'll choke on it".

Now they have the little rocker thing on there and it stays on the can. It cuts down on sidewalk litter too!  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2006, 01:46:39 am »
Rechargeable Batteries

God. Everything uses batteries today... especially those AA batteries.

Now that I own some digital cameras, I really go through them. My Sony camera has its own rechargeable battery, but my Canon digital camera EATS AA batteries. I finally broke down and bought a charger and some rechargeable batteries. Now, every time my camera flashes that rude battery sign with the line through it, I just take the batteries out and recharge them again. EAT THAT CANON!  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2006, 08:33:12 am »
The switch/rocker deals on pop cans.

(Sorry, I don't know the correct name for them)

It may not be the most exciting invention in our life time, but remember those awful pull tabs they use to put on pop cans?

You would pull them off, and there was NEVER a trash can nearby to put it in. So, people would just throw them on the ground. Those little suckers were sharp too. I have no idea how many times I stepped on them barefoot as a kid. I saved a lot of mine and made chains with them. Sometimes I would just drop them down in my pop can. My mother hated that. She would say "Don't do that! You'll choke on it".

Now they have the little rocker thing on there and it stays on the can. It cuts down on sidewalk litter too!  :)

Actually, I remember cans when you had to open them with a can opener, then I remember the pull tops, and the kind they have know.

I saved the pull tops and made chains and chains of them. Not sure why, just something to do...the good old days, when you had time to waste! LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2006, 09:58:24 am »
"Blew out my flip-flop. Stepped on a pop-top."
--Jimmy Buffet, "Margaritaville"  ;D

Hey, how about toasters with slots wide enough for bagels?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.