Author Topic: New inventions in our lifetime........  (Read 38149 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: New inventions in our lifetime........
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2006, 04:25:07 pm »
Something else I forgot....regarding black and white tv....

I remember some friends who had a screen (like a screen you put in front of an open fire to stop the cinders flying out)....which they put in front of their black and white tv set.....it had three strips of colour.....blue at the top, red in the middle and green at the bottom, and it was supposed to give you the sense of colour on your tv shows.......(i guess it was better 'n nothin')....

Its fun remembering all this stuff.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2006, 08:03:58 pm »
Something else I forgot....regarding black and white tv....

I remember some friends who had a screen (like a screen you put in front of an open fire to stop the cinders flying out)....which they put in front of their black and white tv set.....it had three strips of colour.....blue at the top, red in the middle and green at the bottom, and it was supposed to give you the sense of colour on your tv shows.......(i guess it was better 'n nothin')....

Its fun remembering all this stuff.....

I don't remember those color screens Sue, but your comment made me think of something else. Do you remember those aluminum Christmas trees? They were silver, and a spinning color wheel was placed in front of the tree so it would "change colors". The color wheel had a light in it. Everybody had those aluminum trees when I was a kid. People wouldn't be caught dead with one these days.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2006, 09:03:39 pm »
Yes I remember those trees David....but I dont think Australia got those spinning wheels that threw colour on to them...we just decorated them with electric lights, until a few unfortunate people got electrocuted, and they realized that those trees and electricity were not a safe mix.

Talking of Christmas.....remember when we only gotone present from our parents for Christmas?......nowdays, kids seem to get a room full....

Also at Christmas time, Mum used to make the boiled plum pudding, she used to wrap it in a bag of muslim and cook it in the copper.....she also used to put small silver coins in the mix, and it was our delight to find a threepence or sixpence while we were eating it...Unfortunatley, with the advent of decimal currency, the new coins were made of some other metal, and we were advised not to cook them in our puddings, so that was the end of that.

Thinking about the good ol' days is fun.......Just think....these will be the good ol' days to our grandchildren....makes you wonder what they will have in their lives then.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2006, 09:58:03 pm »

Thinking about the good ol' days is fun.......Just think....these will be the good ol' days to our grandchildren....makes you wonder what they will have in their lives then.

The good ol' days to today's kids will probably be remembering life without PR's (Personal Robots), cars with steering wheels that actually travelled on the ground, taking boring vacations here on Earth, massive computers the size of a notebook, 2 dimensional television screens, some crazy, primitive thing called the "Internet", watching movies in a place called a "cinema" or "movie theatre" and purchasing something with pieces of paper and shiny metal.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2006, 10:03:43 pm »
Katie, Nicky, Jeff:  my life is flashing before my eyes :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:...I remember all of this very clearly.  I think my sister still has that silver tree packed away somewhere in her garage.  We were just little kids but got so excited when it was decorated; I even milked Santa for as long as I could .  I think I was 11 when the gifts from "Santa" stopped coming.

My remotes are to TV, DVD, VCR, and CD player only.  I've thought about getting a universal one, but they are too advanced for my feeble mind to understand...hell, I'm still trying to figure out the telephone ;D :laugh: :laugh:...Doug

Offline Katie77

« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2006, 10:23:43 pm »
My remotes are to TV, DVD, VCR, and CD player only.  I've thought about getting a universal one, but they are too advanced for my feeble mind to understand...hell, I'm still trying to figure out the telephone ;D :laugh: :laugh:...Doug

We had had our new tv for about 6 months, and I had always wondered why the remote was about 8inches long (in this day when everything is getting smaller and smaller)....the buttons we needed to change channel and volume were at the top of the remote.....then one day, we needed the technician to come out and fix something on the tv, and he asked me to press a certain button on the remote....when I couldnt find it, he then showed me, that the bottom of the remote had a sliding panel, which revealed about 30 other buttons....so thats why this remote is so damn long......needless to say, i slid the panel back up and still on really need to use the few buttons on the top.......

And I know this may shock some of you...but I dont use a mobile phone....I do have one, but I only use it when i go on holidays, and then i usually have it turned off and in the bottom of my handbag.....I have never sent or received an SMS message, and I dont know how to clear the "missed calls"......

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2006, 09:14:48 am »
And I know this may shock some of you...but I dont use a mobile phone....

Sue, I have a friend who has never, and claims he will never, own a mobile phone. He works from home & says that if people need to reach him he's always there anyway. BUT... recently he's had a couple of incidents where even he has recognised their usefulness in an emergency. I think he might be weakening. And my parents only got a mobile just over 6 months ago, and that's only 'cos my sister bought them one!  :D My mum's still scared of it, bless her... :laugh:
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

moremojo

« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2006, 01:31:09 pm »
Sue, I have a friend who has never, and claims he will never, own a mobile phone.
I too find it extremely unlikely that I will ever invest in that contraption either. I note how these now ubiquitous phones isolate and distract their users from their immediate environment, and I think that's a real shame. I can't deny their usefulness in possible emergencies myself, but don't find that sufficient motivation to become the owner of one.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2006, 04:37:16 pm »

massive computers the size of a notebook

This one really tickles me, even though I know it's true.  Heck, I carry around a computer the size of a pack of cards in my purse (my Palm), still it's funny.

purchasing something with pieces of paper and shiny metal.

This one is already true - my daughter almost never sees me pay with cash.  I use my debit card a lot.  She has a piggy bank with coins, but I'm not sure she actually completely connects those coins with paying for something...

As to remotes, I can only add that we have a remote for our gas fireplace that has a thermostat in it.  So that if you want it, say, 68 degrees where you are sitting, you can set the thermostat to 68, and as long as you have the remote sitting by you, it will be 68 degrees at the couch or even all the way over at the dining table.  BUT, I've learned it really doesn't work if you hold the remote or have it on your lap - then it thinks the room is already about 98.6 and the fireplace won't kick on at all.  :)

Offline Katie77

« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2006, 05:15:24 pm »
My mum's still scared of it, bless her... :laugh:

Oh yes, we should feel for the oldies, with all this computer stuff, and new fangled contraptions....While working at the credit union, we found it so difficult to convince the older customers to use ATM's....I'm sure they were convinced, that if they pressed the wrong button, the whole machine would blow up....

Heres a naughty little cartoon, I got in an email yesterday....Hope you get a giggle out of it....