Author Topic: The Wretched Lift Their Voices: Anne Hathaway & Hugh Jackman in 'Les Misérables'  (Read 63510 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Catherine de Medici was in the 16th century. She introduced the fork from Italy. It did not take off in England (and I guess the US) until the 18th century. I do not think I would like to watch the average Englishman eat in the 16th century.

Forks were considered foreign (you know how zenophobic the English are) and  ... effeminate.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Well, I didn't watch the awards last night, but I hear that Les Miserables won three awards, including the ones won by Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Well, I didn't watch the awards last night, but I hear that Les Miserables won three awards, including the ones won by Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway.

and Best motion picture, comedy or musical.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.

Catherine de Medici was in the 16th century. She introduced the fork from Italy. It did not take off in England (and I guess the US) until the 18th century. I do not think I would like to watch the average Englishman eat in the 16th century.
Watching the Nepali people eat would drive you crazy, brian. Their national dish is a large mound of white rice with a lentil soup spooned over it, sometimes with some curried vegetables on the side. It is called daal bhat. No utensils are used. The diner makes his right hand into a sort of scoop and scoops up the rice-daal mixture, dips the rice covered hand over the dish a few times to shake off excess moisture and then shovels it into the mouth. There are no napkins used either. The left hand is not used in eating because it is used in the bathroom. Shudder!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Watching the Nepali people eat would drive you crazy, brian. Their national dish is a large mound of white rice with a lentil soup spooned over it, sometimes with some curried vegetables on the side. It is called daal bhat. No utensils are used. The diner makes his right hand into a sort of scoop and scoops up the rice-daal mixture, dips the rice covered hand over the dish a few times to shake off excess moisture and then shovels it into the mouth. There are no napkins used either. The left hand is not used in eating because it is used in the bathroom. Shudder!
I have been to Nepal way back in 1974.
Although I stayed in a grade 2 hotel,  I went to the top hotel for dinner.  I discovered my umbrella was useful as they threw their slops over the balcony. Butcher shops cut up the meat on the pavement.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
I do not think I would like to watch the average Englishman eat in the 16th century.

Table customs varied with social class and changed as the century progessed.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.