Author Topic: Happy Christmas!  (Read 167440 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Happy Christmas!
« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2017, 12:53:00 pm »
Here's Chrissi's facebook post for St. Nikolaus Day:

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2017, 08:12:08 pm »
awwww, cute!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2017, 02:07:49 pm »
Thanks for bringing it over here, Paul! :)
Yup, I totally love Nikolaus :)

I have to find a new photo hosting site after the photobucket disaster. :-\

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2017, 03:22:01 pm »
Your post inspired me to go research St. Nikolas and he was very loveable. How St. Nikolas morphed into Santa Claus is understandable language-wise but not imagery wise. I understand that he was Byzantine and was born in what is now Turkey.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2017, 07:50:11 pm »
I have to find a new photo hosting site after the photobucket disaster. :-\

Currently using flickr, but looking for something better.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2017, 08:17:07 pm »
Your post inspired me to go research St. Nikolas and he was very loveable. How St. Nikolas morphed into Santa Claus is understandable language-wise but not imagery wise. I understand that he was Byzantine and was born in what is now Turkey.

Tell you what, I've gotten to wondering how the visit from St. Nicholas got transferred from December 6 to Christmas Eve. Was that unique to the United States and spread like McDonald's to the rest of the world?

It would seem the Christmas Eve visit was well known, at least in the New York region, by the time "A Visit from St. Nicholas" was published in 1823, otherwise readers would probably have been mystified. So when was the tradition established? Did the change originate with the Protestant Dutch settlers of New York, and did it have anything to do with anti-Catholic prejudice, since St, Nicholas was a Catholic bishop?

Our familiar image of St. Nicholas/Santa Claus really originated with the cartoonist Thomas Nast. I guess it was the poem that introduced the eight tiny reindeer?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2017, 01:30:20 am »
Our familiar image of St. Nicholas/Santa Claus really originated with the cartoonist Thomas Nast.

Thomas Nast was a local from where I live! :D He was from Landau, the next town from me. My kids go to school in Landau and the yearly Christmas Market is called Thomas-Nast-Nikolausmarkt.

St. Nikolaus is Sinta Claas in Dutch. From there it's only a small step to Santa Clause, linguistically. But how he got transferred from Dec 6th to 24th/25th I don't know.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2017, 11:17:41 am »

Thomas Nast was a local from where I live! :D He was from Landau, the next town from me. My kids go to school in Landau and the yearly Christmas Market is called Thomas-Nast-Nikolausmarkt.

Wow! I din't know that Thomas Nast was an immigrant to the U.S. I think perhaps it was before he "designed" Santa Claus he was also a political cartoonist. He was known for making cartoons about corrupt politicians in New York City.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2017, 02:24:57 pm »
I just checked: he was only six years old when he (with his mother) emigrated to the US.
He created Santa Claus and the elephant as symbol for the Republican Party. He did not create, but popularize, the donkey for the Democratic Party, Columbia and Uncle Sam.

he was also a political cartoonist. He was known for making cartoons about corrupt politicians in New York City.

Yes, he is considered to be the "Father of the (political) American Cartoon".

Anyway, even though he was only six when he left Landau, people around here are very proud of him and consider him as one of them/us. :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2017, 02:40:00 pm »
I just checked: he was only six years old when he (with his mother) emigrated to the US.
He created Santa Claus and the elephant as symbol for the Republican Party.

I forgot about the elephant!  :laugh:

Anyway, even though he was only six when he left Landau, people around here are very proud of him and consider him as one of them/us. :laugh:

He's still a home-town boy who made good.  ;D