Author Topic: Most annoying/least favorite holiday songs  (Read 93578 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Most annoying/least favorite holiday songs
« on: December 19, 2011, 10:03:13 am »
I can't believe this hasn't been discussed, if not here, then in the polling place,  but I just did a general search of the site for "most annoying christmas songs" and nothing turned up.  ???

Anyway, I have three songs that I dislike intensely: The Beatles' "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time," Jose Feliciano's "Feliz Navidad," and "The Little Drummer Boy," no matter who sings it!

I think the reason I dislike these songs so intensely is that once I hear one of them, it's stuck in my brain for hours and hours!  :laugh:

If anybody can find a preexisting thread on this topic, kindly bump it? Thanks!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Most annoying/least favorite holiday songs
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 03:03:26 pm »
Good subject for a thread Jeff...

but I must say, your choices are not prime 'annoying' fodder for me; I actually like "The Little Drummer Boy" and I really really like "Feliz Navidad".

My most hated (can't just call it annoying) holiday tune is, hands down, "Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer". It was odd the first time I heard it, but each subsequent hearing just makes me dislike it more.

BTW, that's a Paul McCartney recording, not a Beatles's  song.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 03:24:47 pm »
My most hated (can't just call it annoying) holiday tune is, hands down, "Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer". It was odd the first time I heard it, but each subsequent hearing just makes me dislike it more.

That is a vile song and is just one more redneck embarrassment, IMO.  Not at all like 'Tender Tennessee Christmas' or 'Christmas in Dixie', not that I can get anyone else interested in hearing them.   :P

On the other hand, I've decided I actually like 'Santa Baby' - repetition will do that as well, it turns out.  :)

I like almost all of the carols - 'Good King Wenceslas' has terrific lyrics.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 03:43:00 pm »
BTW, that's a Paul McCartney recording, not a Beatles's  song.

Thanks for setting me straight on that one. Now I can just blame Sir Paul and not all of the Beatles.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 03:51:04 pm »
That is a vile song and is just one more redneck embarrassment, IMO.  Not at all like 'Tender Tennessee Christmas' or 'Christmas in Dixie', not that I can get anyone else interested in hearing them.   :P

Never heard of them, much less heard them.  :(

I confess I find "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" still good for laughs and something of an antidote to all the saccharine one hears this time of year.

On the other hand, I've decided I actually like 'Santa Baby' - repetition will do that as well, it turns out.  :)

Check the "Glee" thread; did I read somewhere that the gay boys do that one? I know I've read that Michael Buble does an interesting version. But I can't imagine that anyone outdoes the great Eartha Kitt.

I like almost all of the carols - 'Good King Wenceslas' has terrific lyrics.

That one, along with "O Come, O Come Emmanuel." is one of John Mason Neale's Victorian fake medieval carols. Sounds good when played by a brass ensemble, I think.  :)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 03:56:22 pm »
Never heard of them, much less heard them.  :(

I confess I find "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" still good for laughs and something of an antidote to all the saccharine one hears this time of year.

Check the "Glee" thread; did I read somewhere that the gay boys do that one? I know I've read that Michael Buble does an interesting version. But I can't imagine that anyone outdoes the great Eartha Kitt.

That one, along with "O Come, O Come Emmanuel." is one of John Mason Neale's Victorian fake medieval carols. Sounds good when played by a brass ensemble, I think.  :)

I will dig them up later tonight, Jeff, when I can get to youtube.

In the meanwhile, YES, the boys on Glee did a fab version of 'Santa Baby' I posted in my blog over the weekend:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgdLdl60EMA&ob=av3e[/youtube]

I will need to review the Eartha Kitt version - Paul played about 12 takes and I'm not even sure he got to that one.  ;)  :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 04:10:13 pm »
Got another really offensive suggestion, with proof ...

Two years ago, Neil Diamond released a third Christmas album including the awfully self promoting "Cherry Cherry Christmas". Only just heard it a couple of times (thank god).

Cherry Cherry Christmas

Wish you a very merry, cherry cherry Christmas
and a holly holy holiday, too.
Underneath your tree may there always be
sounds of harmony, not a song sung blue .
Just a very merry, cherry cherry Christmas.

And if all of those who love you gather near,
you'll have a very merry, cherry cherry, holly holy,
rock and rolly Christmas this year.

When the snow drops on the treetops
it's a pretty amazing scene.
Hear the choir, light the fire.
Feels like pretty amazing grace if you know what I mean.

Oh yeah, it's Christmas time
In a world of make-believe I'm a believer,
and I believe in things not always understood,
but the things you feel make believing real.
That's why Christmas feels so good, so good, so good.

When you imagine all the world as one great chorus,
you're gonna learn that every voice has got a song.
Let's raise a Christmas toast of red, red wine,
we'll even sing Sweet Caroline while the whole world sings along.

I hear music in the sound of children laughing.
It's a beautiful noise that fits you like a song.
Makes you wanna have a very merry, holly holy,
cherry cherry Christmas time the whole year long.
The whole year long...sing your Christmas song...the whole year long.

Cherry Christmas, Everyone!!!

Oh, and, by the way, the album contains yet another, not really humorous (and annoying) Adam Sandler composition, "The Chanukah Song"
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 04:17:43 pm »
I have TONS of xmess CDs, and very few songs actually annoy me.  However, "Little Drummer Boy" does not need to be heard more than once a year.  

"Santa Baby" is a lot of fun.  Eartha Kitt's is the classic version.  I also like Madonna's "Betty Boop" version.  Jane Krakowski does an awesome, sexy version.  Not sure I like Michael Bublé's though.  Try RuPaul's!

While we're at it, RuPaul does an awesome "I Saw Daddy Kissing Santa Claus".

I bored Lynne with sixteen versions of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" on youtube this weekend.  The "Glee" version is quite good, but check out the version with Margaret Whiting and Johnny Mercer, the composer.  

I hear there are a few southern xmess songs too...

Roland, I'm with you:  don't even need to hear that one; anything by Neil Diamond is guaranteed to be annoying.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 04:25:52 pm »
My three most hated Christmas Songs!!!

#3.  "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer."  It wasn't funny the first time I heard it, and it hasn't ever been funny any other time I've heard it.  Now there's even a 30 minute animated cartoon based on the song.  

::)

#2.  "Dominick The Donkey."  Recorded by Lou Monte, the song is about a donkey that helps Santa give out gifts in Italy.  Lou sings it with an Italian accent, saying things like "jingity jing, hee haw hee haw"  

::)

#1.  "The Christmas Shoes."  I understand that not everyone has a happy Christmas, but I don't think you'll hear a more depressing song.  This song chronicles a man who is tired of Christmas and standing in line in stores.  He's behind a child who doesn't have enough money to pay for a pair of shoes, and he overhears the child tell the cashier that his mommy is sick and needs to have these shoes "in case she meets Jesus tonight."

Heard it once, I was in tears halfway through the song, and I turn it off anytime I hear it start.  I know many people who tell me they do the same thing.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 04:36:06 pm »
Wasn't bored - I was getting educated!  8)

And Chuckie - about those Christmas shoes - I had to sit through the *play*.  Never never never again.  Manipulative.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."