Author Topic: Let's Play "Stump the Chef"!  (Read 18196 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Let's Play "Stump the Chef"!
« on: December 22, 2011, 12:16:01 pm »
Here's another fun holiday food game. All you do is think of between one and three ingredients, and the chef will come up with a recipe or a way to use them in a holiday dish!! I'll be the first chef...okay, friends, who can stump me??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
Re: Let's Play "Stump the Chef"!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 12:46:58 pm »
What a fun idea, Lee!

Hm, let me see.....

Oh, I know!  Herring, matza-balls and pumpkin.

I expect that will do for a cross cultural dish!   ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 01:09:17 pm »
What a fun idea, Lee!

Hm, let me see.....

Oh, I know!  Herring, matza-balls and pumpkin.

I expect that will do for a cross cultural dish!   ;D

Good one. I can imagine a herring & mathah-ball combo, but I'm at a loss for what to do with the pumpkin.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 01:15:46 pm »
Oh oh. I´m gonna have to google matza-balls.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 01:53:23 pm »
Oh this is starting out fun!! Monika, you have probably found that matza is spelled several different ways...matzo, matzah, etc. However it's spelled, it's unleavened bread, eaten ceremonially by Jews because they had to leave Egypt so quickly they didn't have time to let their bread rise. Matza balls are typically plopped into a soup, so I would make a matza ball soup with chicken broth and thicken it with pureed pumpkin, adding bit-sized chunks of herring along with some chard and sesame seeds. Although matza balls have very little taste, they will make a great foil for the salty herring and the sweet pumpkin. Serve in a hollowed out pumpkin shell!

If you're willing to give me the Lee-way to use matza meal instead of balls, here are some great suggestions for toppings on matza flatbread:

69. to 76. Dirty Matzoh, a Pesach version of a savory kugel, Cajun-style. Whole-wheat matzoh with peanut butter or almond butter along with pumpkin butter and a sprinkle of flax seeds. Topped with a poached egg and a bit of melted Gruyère or Manchego. Thin, egg matzoh spread with cream cheese and lox—toast it for a minute to slightly broil the lox. Leftover cooked salmon works well, too. Matzoh brei with onions and roasted broccoli and cooked salmon. Matzoh brei with fried salami. Everything matzohs with a mozzarella stick or with hummus!
—Marcie C. Ferris, author of Matzoh Ball Gumbo

Get more deliciousness at 100 Matzoh Recipes | Leite's Culinaria

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 02:00:36 pm »
Oh oh. I´m gonna have to google matza-balls.

Kind of klimp.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 02:03:53 pm »
Oh this is starting out fun!! Monika, you have probably found that matza is spelled several different ways...matzo, matzah, etc. However it's spelled, it's unleavened bread, eaten ceremonially by Jews because they had to leave Egypt so quickly they didn't have time to let their bread rise. Matza balls are typically plopped into a soup, so I would make a matza ball soup with chicken broth and thicken it with pureed pumpkin, adding bit-sized chunks of herring along with some chard and sesame seeds. Although matza balls have very little taste, they will make a great foil for the salty herring and the sweet pumpkin. Serve in a hollowed out pumpkin shell!

If you're willing to give me the Lee-way to use matza meal instead of balls, here are some great suggestions for toppings on matza flatbread:

69. to 76. Dirty Matzoh, a Pesach version of a savory kugel, Cajun-style. Whole-wheat matzoh with peanut butter or almond butter along with pumpkin butter and a sprinkle of flax seeds. Topped with a poached egg and a bit of melted Gruyère or Manchego. Thin, egg matzoh spread with cream cheese and lox—toast it for a minute to slightly broil the lox. Leftover cooked salmon works well, too. Matzoh brei with onions and roasted broccoli and cooked salmon. Matzoh brei with fried salami. Everything matzohs with a mozzarella stick or with hummus!
—Marcie C. Ferris, author of Matzoh Ball Gumbo

Get more deliciousness at 100 Matzoh Recipes | Leite's Culinaria

Hey, well done!

I thought that one was a bit of a challenge myself, actually.

I've never heard of herring in a soup, but everything is worth trying at least once!  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 04:01:11 pm »
Many seafaring cultures have some kind of fish soup or stew, which can feature a combination of fish and shellfish. Now, herring is usually eaten pickled or smoked (kippered) but there's no reason it can't be eaten fresh. In fact, you might get more nutrition out of it that way. Like salmon, it is an oily fish with lots of flavor and antioxidants.

Here is a recipe for fried herring from Jeff's Scotland recipes: http://www.seabrite.com/jeffs_great_british_eats/Scotland_fried_herrings.htm. It also tells where to find fresh herring and how to select smoked herring if you decide to substitute it.

I have seen recipes using pickled herring where you soak the fish in water to remove the pickling and the salt. Right now, I have 3 jars of pickled herring in my fridge from IKEA. I prefer the fresh fish.

Okay, would anyone like to play another round? Throw out some more ingredients for us to chew on, or step up to be the chef, if you dare!!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 04:18:07 pm »
I always forget that nowadays IKEA bestows its Swedish herringy blessings upon the world.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 04:46:02 pm »
Now, herring is usually eaten pickled or smoked (kippered) but there's no reason it can't be eaten fresh. In fact, you might get more nutrition out of it that way. Like salmon, it is an oily fish with lots of flavor and antioxidants.

I've always liked kippered herring, but I never knew i was good for me. I guess I should have moved to Norway when I had the chance.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 05:02:41 pm »
Pickled herring is really good. I like it best when my mum do it herself. Yum.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 05:27:52 pm »
Pickled herring is really good. I like it best when my mum do it herself. Yum.

Sorry for taking this thread away from playing the game (I'll make up for that shortly), but can you tell us what ingredients she used in the pickling process??

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 05:46:52 pm »
No problem, I would like to know as well!

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 05:53:51 pm »
Since I couldn't think of anything that used the last 3 ingredients, I'll toss out another trio:

Turnips
Lamb
Broccoli Rabe

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 06:45:22 pm »
Sorry for taking this thread away from playing the game (I'll make up for that shortly), but can you tell us what ingredients she used in the pickling process??

I had to ask mum  :laugh:

For the pickle solution she uses water, vinegar, sugar, bay leaves and cloves.

She boils the solution, waits for it to cool off and then pours it over the herring filles, leek, dill seeds, carrots and allspice (which is placed in alternate layers).

I

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 06:48:21 pm »
I've always liked kippered herring, but I never knew i was good for me. I guess I should have moved to Norway when I had the chance.

Yep, lots of herring, kippered, smoked, pickled, fermented and fresh here in Scandinavia!

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 08:20:57 pm »

She boils the solution, waits for it to cool off and then pours it over the herring filles, leek, dill seeds, carrots and allspice (which is placed in alternate layers).

I

That's far more involved than I anticipated, but DANG does it sound delicious!!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 12:05:42 am »
Okay, I'll admit, I'm stumped! But, not because I can't think of what to do with turnips and broccoli rabe, but just because I can't think of what to do first!! They are both some of my favorite ingredients. I guess I would use them in a shepherd's pie, for starters. Brown the ground lamb with onions and garlic in olive oil in a large skillet and add the cut up turnips and broccoli rabe. When they have wilted and browned at the edges, add a dash of broth or wine, cover them with a layer of smashed potatoes, and add some grated parmesan cheese over the top. Cover with a lid and simmer until the entire dish is hot and bubbly. A wonderful comfort food, and very appropriate for the holidays, too!!

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 12:36:11 am »
Okay, I'll admit, I'm stumped! But, not because I can't think of what to do with turnips and broccoli rabe, but just because I can't think of what to do first!! They are both some of my favorite ingredients. I guess I would use them in a shepherd's pie, for starters. Brown the ground lamb with onions and garlic in olive oil in a large skillet and add the cut up turnips and broccoli rabe. When they have wilted and browned at the edges, add a dash of broth or wine, cover them with a layer of smashed potatoes, and add some grated parmesan cheese over the top. Cover with a lid and simmer until the entire dish is hot and bubbly. A wonderful comfort food, and very appropriate for the holidays, too!!

Shepherd's Pie is a great idea!!

I had these ingredients at a Passover Sater when I was a teenager. The turnips were masked and whipped with garlic & olive oil. The broccoli rabe was chopped and steamed. And it was served with slices of lamb roast. It was one of the best meals I can remember. I had never had lamb before, and the experience encouraged me to venture into trying other unusual foods. At this point in my life, I'll try anything except cat or dog.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 03:12:57 am »

OT

Speaking of food - it´s Christmas! Yay!

Tonight we´ll stuff ourselves silly! You´re eating your Christmas food tomorrow in the US, right?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 04:29:16 am »
I volunteer to be stumped.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 06:30:19 am »

That sounds delicious, Lee!

I've had shepherd's pie in England, and there it's an oven dish. But your way sounds just as good.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 06:31:28 am »
OT

Tonight we´ll stuff ourselves silly! You´re eating your Christmas food tomorrow in the US, right?

Hi Monika!

Happy stuffing!   ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 10:11:34 am »
I volunteer to be stumped.

Okay, Elle, dear, here are some ingredients for you:

Strawberries and ... coffee!!

Now let's see what you do with that!! Chime in everyone... and happy stuffing!!

Today, I will make a pie, empanadas, cream cheese-cranberry turnovers, and a roast!!

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 11:01:47 am »
OT

Depending on one's ethnic traditions, Americans either stuff themselves on Christmas Eve, or on Christmas Day. Even though I am African-American, I enjoy the Italian tradition of the Feast of the Seven Fishes. On Christmas Eve, Italians have a meal that is made of seafood dishes. There's squid, shrimp, clams, mussels, octopus, scallops, and cod. But you can make any seafood you want.

This year, I made a cioppino with scallops, shrimp, squid, and mussels in a white wine cream sauce, served over rotini.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 12:25:13 pm »
Okay, Elle, dear, here are some ingredients for you:

Strawberries and ... Coffee!!!

I think I would put the strawberries into the freezer just until quite firm, but not hard, and then chop them.  I would make a coffee ice cream, and fold the chopped strawberries into the completed ice cream, and serve with gauffrettes.

I can't believe I've never seen that, it sounds good.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 01:11:17 pm »
Wow, Clarissa, that sounds scrumptious!! I can just visualize it now!! I can also see this as a Pavlova, with beaten egg whites instead of ice cream if it's too cold for ice cream. What a heavenly dish!!

And Milo, I can just smell the cioppino cooking...it sounds wonderful! The tradition in our family is to have scallop empanada for Christmas Eve dinner. But this year we will not have scallops because my daughter's family doesn't eat shellfish. Fortunately, you can put just about any fish, chicken, or meat in empanadas and it works just fine. The other ingredients are sweet peppers and onions sauteed in olive oil. I always use a combination of red and green peppers.

We have had a traditional Italian dinner for Christmas in the past: a crown roast of beef or pork, filled with vegetables and a first plate of pasta in walnut sauce, with a salad of bitter greens and fruit and an assortment of cheeses, followed by tiramisu. But this year our Christmas dinner will be all American, with a Christmas pumpkin pecan pie at the end.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 04:47:15 pm »
Wow, Clarissa, that sounds scrumptious!! I can just visualize it now!! I can also see this as a Pavlova, with beaten egg whites instead of ice cream if it's too cold for ice cream. What a heavenly dish!!

And Milo, I can just smell the cioppino cooking...it sounds wonderful! The tradition in our family is to have scallop empanada for Christmas Eve dinner. But this year we will not have scallops because my daughter's family doesn't eat shellfish. Fortunately, you can put just about any fish, chicken, or meat in empanadas and it works just fine. The other ingredients are sweet peppers and onions sauteed in olive oil. I always use a combination of red and green peppers.

We have had a traditional Italian dinner for Christmas in the past: a crown roast of beef or pork, filled with vegetables and a first plate of pasta in walnut sauce, with a salad of bitter greens and fruit and an assortment of cheeses, followed by tiramisu. But this year our Christmas dinner will be all American, with a Christmas pumpkin pecan pie at the end.

No offense, but I always think of empanadas as fast food. When I sing in Houston, I find it convenient to grab one at one of the numerous tequerias throughout the city. They're great piping hot.

Food is such a wonderful part of holidays.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 06:37:12 pm »
Lee, you may be the best chef I know.  Of anyone.  Anywhere.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2011, 01:39:58 am »
What a wonderful compliment, friend! I am not really a chef, I am just an enthusiast. Yes, empanadas are usually a fast food, but they take many forms. I actually cooked the empanada in a paella pan...the family really liked it, thought it was the "best ever:!!! A first this year, I added artichoke hearts.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2011, 11:29:57 am »

Speaking of herring, I forgot to mention earlier that when I was out with my work last week, for a traditional Xmas buffet (smörgåsbord), the restaurant offered 22 different varieties of herring!! All home made. I tried 7 or 8 or them, and they were all very yummy! I could have done with just the herring, I really didn't need any of the other stuff.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2011, 12:17:58 pm »
No offense, but I always think of empanadas as fast food. When I sing in Houston, I find it convenient to grab one at one of the numerous tequerias throughout the city. They're great piping hot.

Food is such a wonderful part of holidays.

Amen, friend! I was reading about buffalo empanadas in the new cookbook I got for Christmas from The Fort Restaurant. Those empanada are finger food and they are deep fried. But the empanada I make for Christmas Eve is baked, and it is definitely not fast food. The dough has to rise for 1 1/2 hours, then you punch it down and let it rise for another hour. Then you saute the filling ingredients (I only saute the onion, the rest I put in fresh), pop on and seal the top pastry and brush it with beaten egg. It is quite large...I bake it in a paella pan which has an 11 inch diameter!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 12:26:39 pm »
Happy New Year, everyone! It's been fun playing "stump the Chef"! If any chefs want to step up before the festivities end, be our guest! We can also nominate some healthy ingredients for January dishes too.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 09:57:45 pm »
Is anybody interested in an Easter or spring themed chef's challenge?? Less than a month until spring!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 08:28:08 pm »
Today I learned that you can make yogurt in a crock pot! I can't wait to try it! So I'll throw out some ingredients here...yogurt, maple syrup and any kind of alcoholic liquor (or vanilla if you don't do alcohol). Any chefs out there willing to take on this challenge?

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 01:45:02 pm »
Sounds like youghurt ice cream to me.   8)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2012, 06:49:08 pm »
Today I learned that you can make yogurt in a crock pot! I can't wait to try it! So I'll throw out some ingredients here...yogurt, maple syrup and any kind of alcoholic liquor (or vanilla if you don't do alcohol). Any chefs out there willing to take on this challenge?

I'm confused. How are you making "yogurt in a crock pot" if one of the ingredients is ... yogurt?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2012, 07:41:03 pm »
Jeff, the post about making yogurt in a crock pot was just a little divertissement to keep the thread alive between holidays.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 07:27:00 am »

I suppose you could use the crock part of the pot, (mine comes out,) and put it in the fridge..?

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 09:37:49 am »
Jeff, the post about making yogurt in a crock pot was just a little divertissement to keep the thread alive between holidays.

Aww, so you're just tryin' a fool us!  ;D  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.