Author Topic: As women get bigger, models get smaller  (Read 79979 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: As women get bigger, models get smaller
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 04:48:13 pm »
Sure.  Even more if the bra was specially made for them.  My grandma had her own dressmaker.  She'd spend a lot of money for her custom made dresses.  I don't remember how much, but it was a tidy sum, considering all the fabric involved!

Of course "bespoke" is more expensive than off-the-rack.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 07:29:45 pm »
Of course "bespoke" is more expensive than off-the-rack.

Oh!  :)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 08:07:02 pm »
Yes, I've had a bag made by the same designer (several, actually) since the 70s and they are in excellent condition.  If my daughter and niece hadn't already claimed them, I would put my vintage bags up for sale on Ebay.  I may sell a few of them, but I haven't decided yet.

My sister didn't even blink when she put down $860.00 at the boutique for me to get that bag for Xmas.  But she says she'll never buy one for herself.

Del, I love, love, love your avatar picture!  Gorgeous!  :)

OK, but I tend to be hard on my handbags.  I've seen designer purses at pawn shops and such places and they do show wear after heavy use.  No way I would spend $800 on a designer handbag just to have it look run down after a few years.

I guess if you have a closet full of designer handbags, so that each doesn't get much wear, I could justify it (assuming I had the money to buy a plethora of designer handbags).

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 09:24:56 pm »
OK, but I tend to be hard on my handbags.  I've seen designer purses at pawn shops and such places and they do show wear after heavy use.  No way I would spend $800 on a designer handbag just to have it look run down after a few years.

I guess if you have a closet full of designer handbags, so that each doesn't get much wear, I could justify it (assuming I had the money to buy a plethora of designer handbags).

Yes, I've seen designer bags at consignments shops and places like Goodwill that were jacked up.  But I've also seen bags that were in almost pristine condition at the same places.  I guess it all depends on how you take care of them.

I have some designer bags but I can't afford the ones I really want.  The bags I'm drooling over run so high ($800.00 is real cheap for a premier designer bag) that I can't justify spending the money on them, even if I saved up.   But then again, I didn't buy all of my designer gear.  My relatives have been good to me over the years, and so have the men in my life.  :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 05:15:00 am »
Whatever floats your boat.  Frankly, the idea of leaving a handbag to one's daughter made me laugh. And I can't imagine carrying the same bag for 30 years.  It would be like washing out and wearing the same underwear every day for a decade.

Of course, my own view of it is colored by the fact that an $800 handbag would represent almost 2 months of our mortgage payments.  Or half a year of electric bills.

But well kept vintage stuff is sooo nice! And if good nick, can really retain (or increase) their value - just like a vase or picture would.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 12:22:56 pm »
But well kept vintage stuff is sooo nice! And if good nick, can really retain (or increase) their value - just like a vase or picture would.

Very true!  I've seen purses by famous makers exceed their value just because they were a limited edition item. 

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2012, 05:58:31 pm »
I just saw this thread. I have never spent more than $100 on a handbag (and probably not even that), but if someone can afford it and that's what makes them happy, why not? It's their business. You could say, well, she should take that money and give it to the poor instead, and that's a valid argument. But you could say the same thing to someone who spends $800 on travel. Spending money on travel is not intrinsically morally superior to spending money on apparel. It's a personal preference (it also happens to be my personal preference).

That said, I hate it when media stories act like it's reasonable to call purses, shoes, shirts, etc. with three-figure pricetags "inexpensive." To me, anything short of maybe a winter coat that costs over $100 is expensive, period. And I believe that manufacturers have brainwashed the public into thinking that designer items are worth as much more as their prices would indicate. A $100 designer T-shirt is no doubt better made than a $25 Old Navy T-shirt -- but not four times better.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2012, 10:06:29 am »
The image of leaving a handbag to some luckless heir in one's will* is still hilarious but otherwise, I'm wondering why this thread was resurrected.  

*  "To my son Jimmy I leave my business and its inventory, and my stocks and bonds. To my daughter Erica I leave my house and bank accounts.  And to my other daughter Bristol I leave all my handbags and underwear."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:10:04 pm by Marge_Innavera »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2012, 10:41:03 am »
A $100 designer T-shirt is no doubt better made than a $25 Old Navy T-shirt.

Not necessarily.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2012, 01:05:35 pm »
But the $100 designer T-shirt can give the wearer that priceless feeling of superiority.   :laugh: