Author Topic: Joshua Tree, 1951: A Portrait of James Dean (a film about the actor's gay life).  (Read 32522 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4cCTkpPsxs&feature[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jwaZrHC2RQ[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.gay.net/movies/2012/01/14/james-dean-1950s-studio-rent-boy

James Dean:
1950s Studio Rent Boy?

By Scott Ragan

A stylish new indie film is looking to take the rumors of James Dean's bisexuality even further. The trailer for Joshua Tree, 1951: A Portrait of James Dean shows just how far the Rebel was willing to go to become a major motion picture star, and the trailer seems to pretty much imply that he slept his way to the studio top. At one point in the preview, Dean says to a friend: "These studio men. They want a special talent. A young man like me. They want something I have. If they want me, they're going to have to pay."

Former Abercrombie & Fitch model James Preston stars in the role of Dean, alongside co-stars Robert Gant of Queer As Folk, and The L Word 's Erin Daniels; Out.com reported that the film doesn't have a distributor yet.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2012/01/12/WATCH_James_Dean_Hustling_For_Fame/

WATCH:
James Dean Hustles For Fame

By Jeremy Kinser
January 12, 2012 07:00:30 PM ET

The pre-fame years of immortal screen star James Dean, including his liaisons with helpful gentlemen in the entertainment industry, are chronicled in an upcoming film Joshua Tree, 1951: A Portrait of James Dean.

James Preston stars as the late icon, who was rumored to have used his relationships with well-connected gay men to advance his career. Preston strikes a number of Dean-esque poses in the stylish, mostly black-and-white trailer, while the wistful ballad "I Fall In Love Too Easily" is sung in a smoke-filled bar.

"[The film] is not a conventional biopic," writer/director Matthew Mishory says exclusively to The Advocate.  "It is set very narrowly in the early years before Dean was a star, as he found his way in the world — in every sense. It is the first film to deal with the relationships that were truly important to Jimmy."

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://anfnewsnow.blogspot.com/2011/02/models-so-hot-they-were-featured-more.html

James Preston:
Models so Hot
They were Featured
More than Once!

Friday, February 18, 2011

James Preston as the main face of Abercrombie & Fitch Spring 2011

Profile shot of Preston in Spring 2011

James Preston is the main model of the Abercrombie & Fitch Spring 2011 marketing campaign. So that makes it his second appearance in a campaign for A&F. Last year, Preston was featured in the Spring 2010 A&F Book. The A&F Book was a great online gallery of photography shot by Bruce Weber for the Spring 2010 season, and it was in a sense a warm up to the launch of A&F Quarterly Screen Test for Back-to-School 2010. The guy was also the main face of abercrombie for the Summer 2008 fashion season. Interestingly enough, he is an actor (if anyone didn't know) and has locked in screentime in The Gates  and Blue Bloods.  Check out the previous shots below:

Preston as the main face of abercrombie summer 2008
Photographer: Bruce Weber

Another shot of Preston for abercrombie summer 2008

Another shot of Preston for abercrombie summer 2008

Preston with mindblowing hair in the A&F Book Spring 2010

For some strange reason, Abercrombie & Fitch has his name
as James Flook in A&F Casting. Note that Preston in noted
as an A&F store model: He was previously posted as an HCo.
model  What a cover-up...

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://anfnewsnow.blogspot.com/2011/10/models-profiled-james-prestonas-james.html

Models Profiled!
James Preston...
As James Dean!

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

James Preston as James Dean

James Preston has been one very popular Abercrombie & Fitch model! The Sitch on Fitch posted on him in Models So Hot They Were Featured More Than Once | James Preston  and it became a hit! Everyone fiinds this guy extremely attractive... On that note, I will assume you all will also find this post interesting...

James Preston,
A&F Spring-Summer 2011

Our Abercrombie boy will be starring in Joshua Tree, 1951: A Portrait of James Dean.  Yes, and he will be playing the leading role as the iconic James Dean! The film (produced by Iconoclastic Features, and written and directed by Matthew Mishory) explores the sexuality of James Dean (1931 - 1955). Dean played an influence in the image of RUEHL No.925 and it is very fitting for Abercrombie model to play his role! And get this: it was A&F photographer Bruce Weber who told Preston to drop out of college to pursue acting! Preston himself makes a great Dean. However, Preston is, too, a model and so he kinda comes across as a bit too touched up faced than the genuine Dean. Joshua Tree, 1951  is nevertheless wholly nostalgic and - pardon me - bad-ass! ...Only worthy of a complete rebel without a cause.

Intimate, romantic warmth... | Screenshot from Joshua Tree, 1951

Purely classic! | Screenshot from Joshua Tree, 1951

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2085979/James-Dean-biopic-Joshua-Tree-1951-portrays-alleged-gay-affairs.html

Fact or fiction?
Upcoming biopic
Joshua Tree, 1951
portrays James Dean's
alleged gay affairs

By Iona Kirby
Last updated at 8:40 AM on 13th January 2012

Spitting image: Actor James Preston portrays James Dean in the biopic

James Preston has been one very popular Abercrombie & Fitch model! The Sitch on Fitch posted on him in Models So Hot They Were Featured More Than Once | James Preston  and it became a hit! Everyone fiinds this guy extremely attractive... On that note, I will assume you all will also find this post interesting...

Redefining: The movie hopes to shed a new light on the iconic actor

There has always been speculation as to what was the true sexuality of Hollywood legend James Dean.

But now a film about the star will take a very specific stance on his personal life.

Upcoming biopic Joshua Tree, 1951: A Portrait of James Dean,  includes scenes that depict the actor having sexual encounters with a series of men.

One scene shows the character of Dean making love to his male roommate in a corridor.

He is also seen in the movie indulging in a tryst with another male character, this time on top of a mountain.

Dean is played by relatively unknown actor James Preston, who is most famous for his role as werewolf Lukas Ford in supernatural TV drama The Gates.

Also starring in the movie is Robert Gant of Queer as Folk  fame, The L Word  star Erin Daniels and Walk The Line  actress Clare Grant.

The film, which is due to be released in the summer, claims that it 'redefines' James Dean 'for a new generation', according to its website.

It is not the first tribute to suggest Dean was gay.

Dean's first biographer and close friend William Bast stated that the pair had a intimate relationship.

He was also described as a homosexual by screenwriter Gavin Lambert and Nicholas Ray, who directed Dean's most celebrated movie, Rebel Without A Cause.

Dean apparently avoided being drafted into the war by registering as a homosexual, which was at the time classified as a mental disorder by the US government.

However according to the book The Unabridged James Dean: His Life and Legacy from A to Z,  he denied being gay.

He allegedly said: 'No, I am not a homosexual. But, I'm also not going to go through life with one hand tied behind my back.'

Dean died in a car crash in 1955, aged 24, one month before the release of Rebel Without A Cause.

Experimental: James Dean is alleged to have had affairs with a series of men

Fact or fiction? Upcoming biopic Joshua Tree, 1951 portrays James Dean's alleged gay affairs

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

James Dean in a cowboy hat during the filming of Giant
photographed by Richard C. Miller

Icons through the Ages - Heath Ledger as Ennis Del Mar

James Dean publicity stills for Giant,  on location in Marfa, Texas,
by  Floyd McCarty

"Camping Out"

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
So Cool! Looking forward to the movie.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
1950s Studio Rent Boy?

He was a ho??

Does anyone know this for sure?

Sad.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
He was a ho??

If true he certainly wasn't the first boy to use the casting couch to advance his career.

Not that it really matters, but I'm not exactly sure what that article means by saying he "avoided being drafted into the war." Perhaps Korea is meant, or perhaps simply avoided being drafted into the service (period). He was too young for World War II.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
If true he certainly wasn't the first boy to use the casting couch to advance his career.

Not that it really matters, but I'm not exactly sure what that article means by saying he "avoided being drafted into the war." Perhaps Korea is meant, or perhaps simply avoided being drafted into the service (period). He was too young for World War II.

No, he wouldn't be the first scumbag to do so. But if turning bitch got him out of a draft (regardless of which war) he's all the more despicable. And if he did do it for money, he was all the more dishonorable.  

If any of these allegations are true, I see no value in holding James Dean up as some sort of "example" of homosexual men. He's pathetic. There are far better among us.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
If any of these allegations are true, I see no value in holding James Dean up as some sort of "example" of homosexual men. He's pathetic. There are far better among us.

Is that what this movie is about, or is it just a salacious and ultimately sad story of a self-destructive kid?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
Is that what this movie is about, or is it just a salacious and ultimately sad story of a self-destructive kid?

I honestly hope that the story is salacious and fallacious. But "sad" and "self-destructive" are not excuses for dishonor.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Milo, I'm not sure why you think he was a "scumbag" just for telling the truth as he believed it to be?  If he had entered the service, and been caught in an act with another man, wouldn't he have been dishonorably discharged anyway, and just gone right back to Hollywood?  The way I see it, he just saved himself a trip.  Plus, I don't think a buzz cut would have been a good look on him, despite his gorgeous face.

Jeff, I'm curious -- why do you think of him as "self-destructive"?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
(restoring my lame review)

Has anyone actually seen this mess? 

I finally did, last night. 

Oy.  I'll be brief:  it's a pretentious film-school-oh-so-artsy project that should have been a short film.  Clunky acting and laughable dialogue.  Not-very-sexy sex scenes.  Nonlinear story telling for its own sake.  Heavy-handed cinematography.  Ooh, and literary references to Rimbaud and Le Petit Prince.  Ugh.  It stars James Preston's hair.

Don't waste your time--go see "Giant" instead. 

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
(restoring my lame review)

Has anyone actually seen this mess?  
Don't waste your time--go see "Giant" instead.  

Being old enough to have been there when James Dean burst on the scene, I remember the effect he had on my horny teenage heart.  I know exactly how Sal Mineo felt in Rebel Without a Cause.  But East of Eden was the Dean film that really swept me away.  You urge us to watch Giant.  That for me was a disappointment. Imagine what Dean could have done with Shelter or Weekend--but maybe those 2 films are not the place for tortured angst that Dean does  so well--perhaps Undertow?

Your reaction to Joshua Tree was like mine--pretentiousness, and silly acting and screenplay--if that's what you want to call the script.  The whole mess had nothing to do with Dean, and was a pathetic attempt to cash in on his name.  And for heaven sake, why was Robert Gant in that movie?  He should be ashamed.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:07:51 pm by x-man »
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
X-man, I agree with you about East of Eden.  It was because of the western connection that I mentioned Giant.

I too was surprised to see Robert Gant (Michael's hubby in QAF) in this mess.  Ugh.  And he allowed that awful makeup! He looked embalmed.