Author Topic: Please help get Question 1: The Movie shown in theaters in the US  (Read 2757 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
I saw this movie back in November when it was screened in Maine. It's tells the story of what really went on here in Maine in 2009--and what will likely be going on in other states (Washington, Minnesota, Maine) this year. Schubert/Flint Public Affairs are the bad guys in black hats--really bad--and this movie makes their involvement clear (involvement that was not known to us in 2009). They are already headed to NC for the Amendment 1 vote in May.

Please...send an email to take this movie nationwide and if it ends up in a theater near you, go see it. It will be 90 minutes of your life well spent...

From AmericaBlog...

Ask Landmark Theaters to show "Question One," about Maine marriage campaign, nationwide
By John Aravosis at 3/30/2012 02:02:00 PM

Gang, I'm bumping this because I think it's important.  We'd like your help in convincing Landmark Theatres to show a gay filmmaker's documentary about how the religious right stole marriage away from us in Maine in 2009 by lying about the threat we posed to children.  The documentary even captures the head of the anti-gay side of the campaign admitting that they lied to the voters. How can you help?  Send a quick email to Landmark, telling them where you're from, and argue them to show the film in their theaters: [email protected] The goal here isn't to pressure Landmark, but rather to show them that it makes good business sense to show the film, as there's a lot of community interest in attending.  I think sometimes people assume they don't need to take action because everyone else is. Well, they're not. Please help :)

More info in the original post below - and please ask your friends to send an email too. Thanks.

Landmark Theatres is the largest art house theater chain in the US. And there's a serious proposal before the company to show the documentary "Question One" in its cinemas nationwide. We'd like your help in letting Landmark know that there's genuine interest in seeing this film.

Question One is the story of the campaign to repeal/save marriage equality in Maine back in 2009. Produced and directed by gay film maker Joe Fox and his co-producer/director James Nubile, the movie takes the approach of following both campaigns, the good and bad (as it were), from behind the scenes, up until election night. I saw it last fall and thought it was really well done, in addition to quite damning of the religious right. Now, we've teamed up with Joe F. and James to ask Landmark to show the movie. Given all the intensity around marriage equality across the country, the timing couldn't be better.

What's most interesting about the documentary is that even though it's "fair" - both sides get to tell their story - the anti-gay campaign does a bang-up job of indicting themselves by the end of the film. Their campaign manager, Mark Mutty (who works for the Catholic Diocese of Maine), makes it clear that they lied to the people of Maine in order to take away our civil rights. And the mastermind behind the lies was Frank Schubert, who did the same thing on Prop. 8 (won by telling voters the lie that we were coming after their children) - and, no doubt, will again. The admissions are damning. And that's one good reason for anyone who is interested in the quest for marriage equality to see this film.

So here's how you can help:

1. Email Landmark Theatres: [email protected]

All you need to do is send a quick email to Landmark, telling them you'd like them to show "Question One," the documentary about the marriage equality battle in Maine, in their theaters, and that of course you'll go the show and tell your friends about it. Use this email address: [email protected] The film's directors will then hand deliver the emails to a Landmark executive. If you want, put your home town in the subject line of the email, so that the geographic diversity of interest is clear on its face just by looking at the subject lines.

2. Tweet this post.

3. Share this post on Facebook.

There's some great commentary on "Question 1" from Bill Nemitz of the Portland Press Herald:
[Mutty] insists that the central campaign theme for “Yes on 1” – that same-sex marriage, if not repealed, would be required teaching throughout Maine’s public schools – was “hyperbole” and “not a completely accurate statement and we all know it isn’t.”
Yes, the Bishop's aide actually admit that their central message was a lie.

We aren't surprised that the other side lies. It's just stunning to see it in their own words. And, it's critical for our straight allies to know this, too. Just this we learned that the National Organization for Marriage, NOM, is trying to incite a race war in order to win the fight on marriage equality. Again, not surprising to us. But, it's clearly captured the attention of the traditional media.

The duplicity of the anti-LGBT industry needs to be exposed. The true story of how dirty they are in the way they handle these anti-gay campaigns - a story told in their own words - needs to be seen by as many people as possible. And, getting "Question One" into Landmark's theaters in 21 cities would be a major step in the right direction. You can watch the six minute trailer here: http://www.q1-themovie.com/trailer/

More from Nemitz:

New York City-based filmmakers Joe Fox and James Nubile were allowed in with their cameras by both sides – giving the documentarians, and now us, a strikingly unvarnished view of what went on behind the scenes during those oh-so-divisive days two years ago.

Help us get this critical documentary shown at Landmark's theaters across the country. Send an email to [email protected], and tell Landmark that you think they should show "Question One" in their theaters, and if you'd like to explain why you think it's important for Landmark to show the documentary, that would certainly be welcome. But even a short note letting Landmark know that you and your friends woulde go see the film if they showed it, would be very helpful. Joe and James will then hand deliver your emails to a Landmark executive.

http://gay.americablog.com/2012/03/ask-landmark-theaters-to-show-question.html

~~

Thanks!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Please help get Question 1: The Movie shown in theaters in the US
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 12:44:52 am »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qc2fwGNLv4[/youtube]
Uploaded by 20410alhambra on Apr 10, 2011

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 06:18:32 pm »
Thanks for posting the trailer, John.

The movie basically follows six people, who show up at the end of the trailer (beginning at the 5:49 mark)

in order:

Jesse Connolly, campaign manager for No on 1 (a terrific guy)
Marc Mutty, campaign manager for Yes on 1 (a creep)
Nice lesbian couple with a daughter (sorry, blanking on their names)
Bob Emrich and his SECOND wife -- Bob was the leader up in northern Maine for Yes on 1. He keeps it very hush-hush that his first wife walked out on him. I find it extremely hypocritical that Mr. "One Man One Woman for Life" is now married to wife #2. He also preaches in a church that doesn't accept divorce so it's not clear to me how he got this job...when his first wife left him he was kicked out of the church he was working for and then some amount of time later (I think less than a year) he popped up in his new church which is, oh, maybe 60 minutes away, driving by car. Can anyone say hypocrite?
Heterosexual couple up in Northern Maine (also blanking on their names) -- this woman made me want to throw tacks at the movie screen but she, of all the Yes on 1 people, did come across as sincere and authentic, unlike Mutty and Emrich. While I don't agree with her, I could appreciate her commitment.
Darlene Huntress and her partner - Darlene was the communications manager (I believe that was her role) on the No on 1 campaign. She met her partner during the campaign and it was a "love at first sight" situation. At least something good came out of this!

Please, everyone, send an email and go see the movie if you have a chance.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 08:26:55 pm »

You're welcome, Leslie!

Heterosexual couple up in Northern Maine (also blanking on their names) -- this woman made me want to throw tacks at the movie screen but she, of all the Yes on 1 people, did come across as sincere and authentic, unlike Mutty and Emrich. While I don't agree with her, I could appreciate her commitment.

Uhm--is that the woman says, gee, "Does that make me a horrible person?" I have to say, yes, she is. Most definitely NOT a hypocritical person, and someone who THINKS of herself as a "nice" person, but, in the end--ugh. I hate to say it, but--ugh.

Please, everyone, send an email and go see the movie if you have a chance.

Yes.

:)

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 09:53:46 am »

Uhm--is that the woman says, gee, "Does that make me a horrible person?" I have to say, yes, she is. Most definitely NOT a hypocritical person, and someone who THINKS of herself as a "nice" person, but, in the end--ugh. I hate to say it, but--ugh.

That's the one. Like I said, she made me want to spit and say ugh...but, I felt she was sincere, unlike the boys (Mutty and Emrich).

There were quite a few scenes of family gatherings. She has several children (4 or 6? can't remember) and lots of grandchildren. Clearly her family is important to her which is why I never understand the disconnect of not wanting others to be able to share fully in family life (ie, get married). I also wonder what will happen when someone in the family comes out...well, maybe that person never will, to her. Which is sad.

Yes.

:)

Thanks!