Author Topic: sheep herding in Wyoming  (Read 14863 times)

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
sheep herding in Wyoming
« on: March 31, 2012, 02:52:46 pm »
Below is my attempt to post the links to three newspaper articles about sheep herding in Wyoming. I found them of interest and I thought others  on this board might like to read them as well. The method I employed of wrapping the address in ............. actually worked on one other board I posted them on - they became a clickable blue or red - but doesn't seem to work on this board. However, I'm very much a novice in the world of computers so maybe it's something very simple I'm overlooking. I'm happy to copy and paste the articles one at a time - that I do know how to do. So, if they can't be made clickable, that's what I'll do tomorrow. Anyway, here's the three links I'm trying to post:  

Here are some articles about sheep herding in Wyoming that a Brokie friend has recently sent me. I thought there might be others on this board who might like to read them:

The Basque sheep herding tradition in central Wyoming goes back quite far into the 19th century and is still strong today.
The Casper, Wyoming (http://trib.com/) newspaper did a story on the Basques of central Wyoming that is pretty interesting:
http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/basques-have-long-wyo-history/ article_e96452d0-06ea-5d8d-be17-fc942aab05eb.html

They also did a multi-part story on the Peruvian sheepherders:
http://trib.com/lifestyles/home-and-garden/rugged-isolation-a-way-to-a -better-life/article_39c74a4d-ddc5-58e1-98a3-67b6937e78d4.html
and
http://trib.com/lifestyles/home-and-garden/peruvian-herder-spends-wyom ing-winter-alone/article_815f858e-e8be-5447-bb90-1621d3d0ac3e.html
Sheep herding in that part of Wyoming was, and still is, a big business. They still live a life that is not too different from what Jack and Ennis did up on the mountain in the summer of '63. When looking at these photos I kept expecting to see Ennis in the background. They move with the sheep, live in temporary camps, etc. Why they are Basques and how they got to Wyoming, I think the linked stories will explain.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 04:09:25 pm by Sason »

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: sheep herding in Wyoming
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 04:11:36 pm »
Thank you for these links, chowhound!

They look very interesting.

I think I'll read them tomorrow.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 07:10:18 pm »
I've always been perplexed by the whole sheep-herding part of Brokeback.  I never understood why the men were separated, and what the park rules were, and how often they had to be moved, etc.  I'll check out these articles tomorrow too.  Thanks, chowhound!
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline chowhound

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 02:53:09 pm »
Here are the three articles I mentioned in my first post. Taken together, they provide an interesting and detailed overview of the world of sheep farming on which the fictional world of Brokeback Mountain is based:

ROCK SPRINGS - Where there were sheep, there were Basques.

It was true in Wyoming 100 years ago, and remains the same today.

Although "Basque Country" consists of a small region between the Pyrenees Mountains and the Bay of Biscay, the origins of this culture remain a mystery. Their language, "Euskera," has no relation to any other known language. But Basques have a long history associated with Wyoming's rangelands.

By the time of the California Gold Rush in the mid 1800s, Basques who had already migrated to Latin America came north to try their hands at gold mining. Soon learning it was better work to tend to the livestock used to feed the mining camps, many Basques became nomadic sheepherders. Their "transhumance" method of raising sheep, moving with the sheep in seasonal migrations, is still practiced in western Wyoming.

Basques began moving to Wyoming in the early 1900s to herd sheep, and many of their descendants are still here. For example, sheep herds belonging to one Basque family, the Arambels, migrate to high country along the Continental Divide in the Wind River Mountains in the summer, then travel several hundred miles through western Wyoming to winter on the desert south of Interstate 80 near the Colorado border.

The sheep are not trucked for any part of the journey. Herders ride horses and live in sheep wagons and tents with the herds year-round. The current generation of the Arambel sheepman is the fourth generation of this Basque family to continue in its traditional method of range sheep production.

In the 1950s, the U.S. government instituted a program to encourage a set number of Basque sheep industry workers to immigrate to the United States to work as sheepherders.

Today, sheepherders from Nepal, Peru, Mongolia and other places work in the western United States as agricultural guest workers under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Many of these herders now work for Basque herd owners.

The 2005 North American Basque Organization's convention was held earlier this month in Rock Springs, with the celebration's focus on the Wyoming Basque shepherd.

Southwestern Wyoming's Basque organization, the Alkartasuna Basque Club, worked to develop a comprehensive list of Basque men who have herded sheep in Wyoming. What began with a few dozen names became a list of 603. The names are both familiar and foreign: from Larrabaster, who operated the Basque boarding house in Rock Springs, to Jauregui, the Cokeville-area family that has herded sheep there since 1905.

Wyoming Department of Agriculture Director John Etchepare, a former sheepman, is Basque.

The U.S. Census for 2000 lists 57,793 residents of this country with Basque origin. Of that number, 869 Basques live in Wyoming. The largest Basque population in the country is in California, with just over 20,000, and Idaho is next with 6,637. Nevada follows closely with 6,096 Basques.

Although small in number, Basque-Americans are vigorous in maintaining their cultural heritage, hosting festivals annually. These gatherings bring together a unique group of people and their friends, with Basque cuisine, folk dancing and music played with the txistu, the Basque flute.

The national Basque festival returns to Wyoming next year. It will be held in Buffalo's Washington Park July 22-23, 2006.

PHOTO CUTLINE INFO

Pete with sheep

Sweetwater County sheepman Pete Arambel represents the third generation of his Basque family's tradition of raising sheep on western Wyoming rangelands.

Leon

Leon Jauregui's sheepherder's bread, made the old way, is famous for both its beauty and taste. It's a staple of the Basque shepherd.

Dancers

When Basque people gather, there are songs, dances and games. These two dancers are members of the Basque dancers of Buffalo, called Zaharrer Segi.

Hoop dancers

Members of the San Francisco Zazpiak Bat Dance Group perform traditional Basque dances.

Offline chowhound

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 03:01:47 pm »
Here is the second article:

By CHRISTINE PETERSON Star-Tribune staff writer | Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:00 am | No Comments Posted

Pedro Castillon moves a herd of sheep onto a neighboring meadow on a recent afternoon in the Bridger-Teton National Forest in southwest Wyoming. Peruvian natives Castillon and his half-brother Firman Casas watch about 2,000 head of sheep year-round for rancher Truman Julian.

How it works

The H-2A visa is a legal, formal way to bring foreigners into the country to work in agriculture. Lawmakers originally intended the visa for seasonal workers in the 1950s before making a special provision for year-round sheepherders.

The workers can renew their visas each year for three years and then must leave the country for 90 days.

Two organizations bring the workers into Wyoming: Mountain Plains Agriculture Service out of Casper and Western Range Association out of Salt Lake City.

Ranchers are responsible for recruiting and finding sheepherders, which often happens by word of mouth, and the agencies complete the paperwork to bring them into the country. The agencies also have Spanish speakers on staff to answer questions.

While no specific data exists on how many Peruvian sheepherders there are in Wyoming, Mountain Plains Agriculture Service brings about 1,500 sheepherders to 300 ranchers in 20 states each year, said Kelli Griffith, the organization's executive director.

Wages are standard, and the U.S. Department of Labor audits ranchers periodically. Officials check housing and speak to the herders to make sure the Peruvians are treated fairly.

More than 60 percent of the workers brought in by Mountain Plains Agriculture Association return for another three years, some returning up to 10 times, Griffith said.
The herding life

For many in Wyoming, sheepherding is a thing of the past, nothing more than a symbol of Wyoming's heritage.

For Pedro Rojas Castillon and his half- brother Firman Rojas Casas, herding sheep is their ticket to a better life for their families in Peru.

In early August, as a part of a special look into the isolated lives of sheepherders, Star-Tribune reporter Christine Peterson and photographer Dan Cepeda spent three days living with the half-brothers in the Bridger-Teton National Forest outside of Kemmerer. Peterson conducted the interviews in Spanish because the sheepherders speak little English.

You can read that story today in the Lifestyles section. It is the first of three installments that will highlight the lives of these brothers, who live 365 days a year with the sheep.

In October, the Star-Tribune will meet up with the brothers during the fall gathering with 19 other Peruvian sheepherders who work for Truman Julian, owner of one of Wyoming's largest sheep operations.

It is the one time each year when they leave their lonely stations to work together on a ranch. They separate sheep and drive thousands of them on horseback to an early-winter range, dozens of miles away.

In January, the Star-Tribune will join the men one last time after they settle into their winter range in Wyoming's Red Desert.

* For more photos and an online video, go to www.trib.com.

BRIDGER-TETON NATIONAL FOREST -- Before first light, Pedro Rojas Castillon stepped out of the canvas tent he shares with his half-brother. He separated his horse, Negra, from the six others, mostly pack horses, used to relocate the camp when it's time to follow the sheep to greener pastures. The horses' hooves stomped the ground and the bells around their necks clanged, helping the brothers keep track of the animals in the dark.

Pedro's brother and only companion, Firman Rojas Casas, helped him saddle the horse.

The day before, more than 100 sheep had strayed from the herd of 2,000, wandering into a forest of pine trees and aspens surrounding the meadow in the Bridger-Teton National Forest. They'd have to be gathered before the light grew brighter and they scattered more. Coyotes spent the night howling, and Firman worried some of the lost lambs may not have made it to morning.

He stayed in the camp, heating water to make coffee over the small wood stove. The larger herd would have to be moved soon enough.

The brothers are short men with dark skin, made darker by years working in the sun. They came here from Peru to herd sheep, moving them from meadow to meadow and making sure those that stray are brought back. They wake every morning before the sun rises, working until the last rays sink below the hills covered with wild pink geraniums, yellow mule's ears and pale-green sagebrush.

It's here, deep in the forests of southwest Wyoming, linked to the world only by a bumpy two-track road, where Pedro and Firman keep alive a tradition of the West. They have no cell service, their electricity comes from a solar panel and a car battery, and horses are their only transportation. They live with the sheep 365 days a year.

They are not trying to relive days gone by. They're building better futures for their families.

The old West

Sheep behavior can often be predicted. They lie in the shade when it's hot and wander when it's cold. They eat at night under a full moon, but stay put until morning when there is no moon to light their way. Three Great Pyrenees/Akbash dogs live among them to protect them from coyotes and bears.

"If the sheep are not full when night comes, they will wander way over the hill during the night and eat," Pedro said in Spanish.

"When it's raining they wander more."

Beginning in the late 1800s, the sheep industry grew quickly in Wyoming, reaching more than 3.5 million sheep by the 1930s and '40s. Wool was used for uniforms in both world wars. By the 1950s, the industry started a slow decline to fewer than 500,000 sheep today.

The large herds that remain are minded largely by sheepherders like Firman and Pedro. Most are from South America, spending the year with sheep thousands of miles from their families back home.

"They're really important to us and we trust them with a lot," said Truman Julian, owner of Julian Land and Livestock, one of the largest remaining migratory sheep ranchers in southwest Wyoming with about 10,000 head of sheep. He employs Firman and Pedro and 19 other Peruvians.

Julian still sells wool for about $20 a head, but his cash crop is lamb for meat at $200 an animal. The meat supplies a growing demand for ethnic food on the East and West coasts.

In the summer, his herds graze on land leased from the U.S. Forest Service. In the fall, winter and spring, sheep move as far as 170 miles east of Kemmerer, grazing on a mixture of private, state and federal lands.

Managed correctly, migratory herds do little damage to the land, but they need herders to prevent over-grazing, Julian said.

For two and a half months each summer, Pedro and Firman herd in the mountains, moving the sheep onto meadows and gathering them to move again. They then drive the sheep from Kemmerer into an early winter range and eventually through the Red Desert. There, the brothers are separated, and Firman herds rams alone for about two and a half months.

Firman and Pedro chose this life of isolation, though not because they crave the solitude. They're here because the $750 a month they earn with the sheep is more than they could make in Peru, paying for water and electricity at home and sending their children to school.

No other workers

On Aug. 2, it took Julian more than an hour to drive to Pedro and Firman's camp in his red Ford truck. The grizzled sheep rancher's headquarters are about five miles north of Kemmerer in southeast Wyoming. The camp is another 20 miles northwest on paved road, 15 miles on dirt into national forest and several more on bumpy two-track. He has 10 Forest Service leases, and some herds move as much as 70 miles into forest land.

He's been making this trip and ones similar for decades, resupplying the South American sheepherders. He or his daughter, Trudi, come every two weeks, bringing whatever his herders request: tins of spam, potatoes, carrots, onions, bell peppers, eggs and cookies. He also brings bags of rice, a staple in the Peruvian diet.

Julian, 66, stepped out of his truck and greeted Pedro and Firman in Spanish. Both speak only a few words of English.

"Visto coyotes?" Julian asked, wondering if they'd seen any of the predators that, along with black bears, kill between 400 and 500 of Julian's lambs and ewes a year.

Pedro shook his head. They heard them singing, though.

As a young man, Julian lived out here with the sheep just like his father and grandfather before him.

Julian's grandfather, a miner from England, migrated to the West as a boy with his brothers. He bought sheep and moved to southwest Wyoming in the late 1880s.

When his grandfather owned the business, Americans herded the sheep. By the 1970s, Julian's father, along with many other agriculture workers, couldn't find Americans to do the work. The United States had established a visa program, the H-2A visa, and ranchers started hiring Latin Americans, first from Mexico and later from Chile and Peru.

Julian now brings in more than 20 Peruvian sheepherders every year, each allowed to stay up to three years at a time, though Julian usually lets them go early to give them six months at home.

He hired his first Peruvian about 20 years ago. That herder brought his brother and then another brother and several friends. They all worked so well that Julian continued hiring Peruvians.

If an American applies for the job, Julian has to hire him or her first. One hasn't applied in more than four years, and that guy quit after two weeks.

"I'm not sure if it's money or what that made people stop herding," Julian said.

"But talk about cowboys, these guys are on horses 365 days a year."

Most of his workers come from word of mouth. Men tell their friends and family to apply, and more arrive. If a herder stays with Julian for six years, he can bring whomever he wants back to work with him.

That's how Julian found Pedro, 35, and Firman, 45.

Pedro has a metal-rimmed tooth in the front that shows when he smiles. Thick, black, curly hair pokes out from around the bottom of his baseball hat. He's skinny, nearly too thin for his clothes, a result of days spent running, walking and riding horses.

Firman is only slightly stockier than his younger brother.

After Julian chatted with the brothers, he gave a gift to Firman, an old cowboy hat the sheepherder said made him look like a Mexican rancher.

Julian climbed back in the super-duty Ford with more camps to check. The brothers stood and watched the truck bounce away.

An isolated existence

Pedro and Firman's camp sits on the top of a crested hill, giving them a view of the low creek and meadow and onto the next ridge. Their house is a canvas tent stretched over bare earth under a canopy of pines.

It's a mobile home of sorts; they can pack everything on horses and move in under an hour.

Two wooden boxes, an arm's length from two small cots, double as storage and their kitchen counter. A wood-burning stove sits in the middle of their front yard -- another dirt patch circled by a simple log fence to keep the horses away. Chairs would be just one more thing to pack, so they sit on their cots to eat and listen to their DVDs of traditional Peruvian folk music.

Five border collies, four adults and a puppy, lie around camp, always alert.

Border collies are natural herders. Instinct makes them want to keep sheep grouped together. Training teaches them to move the animals with the sheepherder.

"They live with us and work hard with us," Firman said.

"Without them I would cry."

The three white guard dogs spend every day and night with the herd, protecting the sheep from mountain predators. They aren't named like the collies.

Pedro and Firman carry bags of dog food with them each morning and night. "Wayki," they call, meaning "brother" in Quechua, a language of the native peoples of Peru. When the dogs come, the brothers pour piles of dry food on the prairie. Like the herders, the dogs' bodies are thin and sinewy.

In Peru, Firman was a farmer, and his wife sold liters of milk.

Once, in the late '80s and before he had a family, he worked for a sheep rancher in California. Now he has three kids -- ages 22, 18 and 11 -- and is herding to pay for books and uniforms and to save for college.

His wife told him he could leave, if reluctantly.

"When I call home she says she is OK, but sometimes, she is not happy," he said.

He plans to stay for two contracts, or six years. Then he should have enough money saved to keep his family afloat and give his children a proper education. He keeps a picture of his daughter in a colored envelope inside a plastic bag protected in a CD case. She's dancing a traditional Peruvian folk dance with her cousin.

Pedro worked in a copper mine back home. It was dangerous and didn't pay much.

He's been here seven years and has two more to go. When he gets home, he hopes to marry his girlfriend.

Last year, after a trip to Peru, Pedro bought a small solar panel. It's connected to a car battery propped on logs, hooked to a hand-held DVD player.

After Julian's visit, Pedro watched a home movie of his cousin's wedding on the contraption. Neither he nor Firman attended the wedding two years ago because they were herding sheep. Scores of people moved through the tiny screen as he watched the festivities. He'd seen it dozens of times, he said, and waited for the camera to pan over his mom and dad.

The first time they were on the screen it was for only moments. The second time, he scooted forward on his cot to watch.

"Wait," he said.

"They're coming up, you'll see my parents again in a minute."

The camera rested on his parents holding hands in a line of people, each moving to a band playing folk music. The camera moved on and Pedro sat back, waiting for the next image of home.

A way of life

The morning sun had finally reached the deep valley floor on Aug. 3. Pedro and Firman separated a dozen or so sheep from the main herd, riding their horses around the group, corraling them in the small, flat area near a spring. Hills blocked their way on one side and a creek on the other, forcing the main herd down the valley as the collies worked to keep the small group intact.

Neither the dogs nor the horses needed instructions. Each had its own role, and even the puppy yapped at the ones that tried to escape. The small group of sheep bellowed and grunted.

Pedro took out his lasso and spun it over his head at a sheep. He missed. Regrouping, he spun again, this time catching the 1-year-old sheep around its back legs.

Firman jumped off his horse and tackled the sheep, spinning the rope around its legs and holding it to the ground.

"She's fat. She must have eaten a lot last night," Pedro said.

He joined his brother on the ground, kneeling on the sheep's body and neck.

He took out the long butcher knife Firman brought from camp and slit the sheep's throat.

In the mountains, lamb is the only meat available to Firman and Pedro. They can't refrigerate chicken or beef, so Julian allows them to kill as many sheep as they need for food. They slaughter one every two weeks.

Pedro cut down the center of the body, showing Firman how to peel off the sheep's skin. Steam rose from its body in the cool air.

They learned to butcher animals in Peru, where they raised and slaughtered their own food.

Leaving the head and innards in the field for the guard dogs, they loaded the dressed carcass in a canvas bag, then on Pedro's horse. Pedro walked it back to camp and hung it on a tree near their tent.

It would hang for a day or so before they would salt and dry it.

Pedro sliced off a section of meat from its hind quarters for breakfast, though it was closer to lunch time when they were finally ready to cook.

Firman seasoned the thinly sliced meat with chili pepper, garlic salt, cumin and Valentino's hot sauce. Pedro placed it on the hot wood stove cradled in tinfoil. It sizzled, sending aromas of spice and lamb into the mountain air.

With the sheep settled and lunch finished, Pedro lay down for half an hour.

The sheep are, in some ways, like their children. The brothers' lives revolve around their needs and movements, including how much sleep either can grab.

Before dinner, the flock needed to be moved again. Firman had placed salt on a hill to help the animals digest their food, and Pedro had to help them find the piles.

He went on foot this time with a couple of collies to herd the strays. The sheep were close enough he didn't need a horse.

Firman worked on dinner: lamb cooked down in a stew with potatoes, rice and tomatoes.

The brothers are a team, but they do more than their respective jobs. They care for each other, and the sheep, in the backcountry.

They are companions in a time of extreme loneliness. They talk about family and home and sheep and the forest. Of Pedro's many brothers, he chose Firman to work with him here. With Firman, he could tend and live with thousands of sheep.

After dinner, Firman washed the dishes and Pedro dried. In the darkness, they ducked back into their canvas tent, closing the flap and listening to the coyotes howl.

Offline chowhound

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 03:11:49 pm »
And here is the third and final article:

Peruvian herder spends Wyoming winter alone

By CHRISTINE PETERSON Star-Tribune staff writer | Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 12:00 am | No Comments Posted

Sheepherders: a final look

It's not so much the cold or the work that bothers Pedro Castillon, but the loneliness. He is one of nearly two dozen Peruvian sheepherders working either alone or in pairs in southwest Wyoming. Each day he struggles to fill his hours in the desolation of the high desert.

In early August, as a part of a special look into the isolated lives of sheepherders, Star-Tribune reporter Christine Peterson and photographer Dan Cepeda spent three days living with Castillon and his half-brother as they herded in the Bridger-Teton National Forest. Peterson conducted the interviews in Spanish because the sheepherders speak little English.

They revisited the herders at a ranch when they gathered together in early October to sheer, separate lambs for sale and gather herds for winter.

On Feb. 1, the Star-Tribune met Castillon one last time while he spends winter living with only sheep, dogs and horses as company. You can read this final installment in today's Lifestyles section.

OUTSIDE KEMMERER -- Pedro Castillon loaded his tiny DVD player with a highlight reel of soccer goals from the 2012 World Cup.

He told us to watch. He'd seen it countless times, and his favorite goal was coming. He rattled off a player's stats. Pedro's partial to Spanish players unless Peruvians from his native country are playing.

"I wish I had a TV to watch soccer, with cable or Dish," he said in Spanish. "I haven't watched many games in the last six years."

Six years he's been here, herding sheep in southwest Wyoming, isolated by mountains and deserts.

For Pedro and nearly 20 other Peruvian sheepherders working Julian Land and Livestock, dealing with the loneliness often proves a harder task than herding itself.

In August, I set out with Star-Tribune photographer Dan Cepeda to explore the herders' lives through the changing seasons. In the summer they sleep in tents in the mountains, in the fall they gather to sheer and immunize and in the winter they live in the desert in traditional sheep wagons.

Scenery changes for them. So does the weather and sheep behavior.

What doesn't change is the loneliness - the separation by language, culture and distance.

Pedro is about halfway through his winter stint, herding about 900 sheep in the desert about 30 minutes outside of Kemmerer.

It was late afternoon in Pedro's wagon, the sun setting behind clouds of gray.

The highlight reel done, Pedro started watching the final championship game between Spain and Holland. It played in the background while he started dinner and boiled noodles.

"Cook, chop wood, make sure water is OK for the horses, take care of sheep. That's my day," he said.

Most herders work in pairs. Pedro spent last summer and winter with his older half-brother, Firman Casas. This fall he told the ranch owner Truman Julian he wanted to go home, then changed his mind at the last minute. Everyone had already taken their herds out in pairs and Pedro by himself.

We spent three days with the brothers in the mountains in the summer and then visited with them again at Julian's ranch in October. Even when they were together, the herders talked about the loneliness of living in a different country and so far from their families.

On Feb. 1, Dan and I wanted to spend time with Pedro to see what it's like to be that isolated.

"You don't need to make conversation," I told Pedro when we arrived. "Do whatever you would normally do."

Then we realized: For a man who spends nearly every day with only dogs, horses and sheep, he wanted to talk.

"Did you know Machu Picchu has a lot of gold? I want to find gold there. There's also gold by my village," he said, measuring rice into a cup and mixing it with a bit of oil.

I did not know that, I told him.

He took off his Carhartt jacket and brown, alpaca scarf.

"Do you have children?" he asked, waiting for water to boil. "I want to go home and marry my girlfriend and have a child."

I don't have any kids, I told him, and asked how many he wanted. He said at least one, a boy.

"I don't like this potato peeler. It's old and doesn't work as well as the other one I had," he held it up to show me. "My brother has that one."

Pedro's sheepherder's wagon is perched on a hill about 30 miles southeast of Kemmerer. The road leading to it changed from asphalt highway to dirt to rugged two-track through sage-covered prairies.

Piles of snow drifted behind bushes, smooth from constant winds and surrounded by bare, dry dirt. From his spot on the hill we could see for miles to distant, snow-capped mountains. An unseen train drove by in the distance, the only sign of civilization save a smokestack from a farmhouse several miles away and tiny outlines of other sheep camps.

He greeted us with a kiss on the cheek and hug. He asked how we were and how long we could stay. He smiled, creasing the corner of his eyes and showing a silver-lined tooth.

He was listening to a soccer game on his short-wave radio. Two Spanish teams, Barcelona and Valencia played each other.

Pedro had lived in the camp for just about a week. He arrived in the high desert in November, and since then has moved from place to place every week or so. He's made his mobile home livable and sets it up the same in each new place.

Thick, black canvas draped from the bottom of his wagon. Hay lined the ground underneath giving his two herding dogs, Guerrero and Bobby, a place to sleep.

Frost covered part of a butchered sheep hanging on the outside of the wagon. The cold weather keeps the meat fresh and that one would feed him for more than a week.

He welcomed us in, climbing in first then telling us to join.

Dan and I sat next to each other on one bench, in between his bed and water cooler. He sat a couple of feet across from us.

The tiny wagon inside accommodates a sheepherder's practical needs. Two benches line the sides at the beginning, a double bed fills the back half and wood stove sits in the corner.

Pedro sat on the bench near the stove while lamb slow-cooked in a pot.

He sorted through a cardboard box for vegetables, pulling out two chilies and slowly and carefully deseeding and chopping them. Next he found an onion, then carrots.

I'd never seen anyone take that long to deseed a chili or peel a carrot. His movements were slow and methodical, almost lethargic.

It was as if he knew the task could be done quickly but needed to fill more than an hour. Cooking is a big part of his day; he can't waste the chance to be busy.

After lunch, Pedro started his chores.

He cut chunks of drifted snow with a shovel and put them in a blackened half barrel. He mixed the new snow with the slushy contents and dumped another couple shovel-loads in.

Under the half barrel sat another partial-barrel with the side cut out. He built a fire with dead sage-brush branches and stirred the snow again, melting it for the horses.

"They will drink it all overnight. They drink a lot at night," he said.

His two herding dogs followed close behind and jumped at his legs as he walked back to his wagon. He patted them on their heads and talked absently to them. He works through the rest of his chores - feeding the horses oats, washing his hands, chopping wood - as slowly as he cooked his lunch.

"The views are nice, but to be alone is very sad," he said as he climbed back in his wagon.

"I don't have anybody to talk to and I get lonely."

It's hard to decide what's worse: freezing cold isolation in the desert or warmer, dirtier loneliness in the mountains. Cell phones work here and the herders call each other several times a day.

The days are longer in the summer. In the mountains Pedro would wake early, move sheep, do some chores and take a nap.

No naps in the desert.

"If I sleep during the day I can't sleep at night. Nights are long out here," he said.

Sometimes the coyote hunter will come by. Pedro insists he come in his wagon for a drink: a sip of whiskey, wine or Boone's Farm flavored apple wine.

He had already finished his whiskey, it soothed his sore throat. Our afternoon drink would be Boone's, what he referred to as champagne. It was another way to break up the day, and it gave him dishes to wash, another chore.

Before dark he left to move his sheep. It's the job he's paid to do but it doesn't take more than an hour or so of work in the morning and evening.

He left on a horse and soon disappeared over a hill. Horse and rider reemerged behind a slow-moving wall of sheep. One sheep had died, he said. He doesn't know why, perhaps an illness.

He left the sheep at the bottom of a hill near his trailer. They would graze and sleep there for the night, coming up to his wagon in the morning for a grain supplement.

Back in his wagon, the lengthy cooking process began again.

Pedro thought about playing his saxophone for us. He bought one several years ago to practice during his down time.

His throat hurt a little and he decided not to play that night.

Maybe tomorrow, he would have plenty of time.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 06:24:01 pm »
Eric, these are great!  Very informative.  Thanks for posting the articles for us!  :-*

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 04:37:45 pm »
There's also some information tucked away in the Social Events Forum in a topic called Sheep Herding in Colorado--Bringing 'Em Down!

"chewing gum and duct tape"