Author Topic: WIDOWER FOR ONE YEAR by 271 horses - Great fic  (Read 24852 times)

one_of_one

Re: WIDOWER FOR ONE YEAR by 271 horses - Great fic
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 06:04:47 am »
I really like this fic.  It has a unique viewpoint in that Ennis is still alone many years after Jack dies.  He thinks about Jack, and has flashbacks...and in places it can be quite sad.

But the main focus is Ennis's grandson...and more recently, Jack's grandson. 

I recently reread the last chapter, which was a little heartbreaking because Ennis's grandson has just experienced something he can't tell anyone about.  I hope the author updates soon.

Helen :)

Offline dragonlady

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 01:07:15 am »
I heard that the author is close to finishing a new chapter, but has real life issues.  I like that not only does this story have great flashback sequences with Jack, but also "fantasy" sequences, where clearly Ennis is speculating on what would have happened if he had done things different.

Offline bay mare

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 12:21:39 am »
Hello.  I just joined.  Been lurking a bit but joined because I adore this story and think it is one of the best written stories out there.  I would be trilled to dicuss it with other people who are interested in it. 

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 12:35:07 am »
I love this story, too. It has a heart-breaking quality like the original BBM story. I loved the sparse style; I felt it reflected Ennis.  I wasn't as interested in the grandson as much as Ennis, although the story & writing are good. I really hope 271horses does update. I need to go back and reread it.

cc33 / Leslie

Offline bay mare

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 12:38:57 am »
I love this story, too. It has a heart-breaking quality like the original BBM story. I loved the sparse style; I felt it reflected Ennis.  I wasn't as interested in the grandson as much as Ennis, although the story & writing are good. I really hope 271horses does update. I need to go back and reread it.

cc33 / Leslie

Really?  You know, the funny thing is I usually just don't get into the OCs all that much.  I sort of see them as a plot device to move the story forward but I LOVE Ennis Jr.  I see so much of Ennis Sr. in him and I just adore the exploration of what a great father figure / grandfather Ennis is to this boy.

I also really like Jack's grandson.  I keep thinking that the two are destined to meet.  Ennis Jr. has that fetish for blue eyes and all.

Offline bay mare

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 08:58:19 pm »
I am starting to re-read Widower.  I so love this fic and see new things each time I read it.  I just came across the following in Chapter 1 in the first year after Jack's death.

It had been a shock when Don came over to the pens, dangling his big belly a belt hook with three keys on it at him. "Huh?" "Keys to the cabin? Remember?" Don laughed but Ennis could hardly hear him through the sudden buzzing in his ears. "Are ya or ain't ya? You don't, someone else will, no problem. Havin too much fun here, huh?" "Sorry, Don, change of plans. Family thing. Should a called..." he managed to get out.

It is these little reminders that come to Ennis out of no where that hit Ennis so hard and he has absolutely no way to explain why he is suddenly stopped short by it.  He has no one to talk about Jack with or what the loss of him means.   :'( 

Offline bay mare

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 09:04:19 pm »
Through the slush freezing in the corners of the windshield where the wipers didn't reach he saw Jack's skin, golden in the firelight, Jack's eyes, lashes at half mast, gazing deep into his own as Ennis bent to kiss him softly, cock still inside him, and almost, almost said the words that were always on the tip of his tongue but never quite made it out.

It seems to me that one of the central themes of BBM is regret.  I think that is why so many of us are so drawn to this story and hits us so hard.  A person can't be beyond a certain age and not have some real regrets in their life.  Widower really deals with the impact of Ennis' regrets so well.  I love how AJ doesn't try to make them all just go away so that we can sleep better at night.  He doesn't try to pretend that every thing will be okay after enough time. 

Offline kittenspy

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 02:27:47 pm »
Through the slush freezing in the corners of the windshield where the wipers didn't reach he saw Jack's skin, golden in the firelight, Jack's eyes, lashes at half mast, gazing deep into his own as Ennis bent to kiss him softly, cock still inside him, and almost, almost said the words that were always on the tip of his tongue but never quite made it out.

It seems to me that one of the central themes of BBM is regret.  I think that is why so many of us are so drawn to this story and hits us so hard.  A person can't be beyond a certain age and not have some real regrets in their life.  Widower really deals with the impact of Ennis' regrets so well.  I love how AJ doesn't try to make them all just go away so that we can sleep better at night.  He doesn't try to pretend that every thing will be okay after enough time. 

That is actually one of my favourite quotes. Regret, harsh reality and poetry all in one.

More regret: what about this - no poetry whatsoever

His eyes bumped his ex-wife's, tripped, moved on. It had been awkward, yesterday, this morning. They rarely spoke aside from the pickup and drop-off arrangements, her flat pursed voice over the phone reminding him of the monthly check. No more of that now Jenny was eighteen last December. He was a free man.

Hey Jack, I'm free at last. Ain't that a kick in the head. He laughed till he'd choked, posted the last payment.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2006, 11:18:20 am »
It's an excellent story.  Too bad he never finished it.

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 09:36:29 pm »
I hope he is working on finishing this one. It sure would be a shame not to.
cc33