Author Topic: What ever happened to member Artiste ?  (Read 42763 times)

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: What ever happened to member Artiste ?
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2012, 12:06:04 pm »
Politics and religion -- I keep my thoughts to myself, both online and in person.  That's how mama and daddy raised me.  It's no wonder I've never had high blood pressure in my life...

Katherine -- what you said about Artiste with 24 posts in a row -- that totally used to make me insane when he was on here.  I was not sad to see him go.

Jess was very kind and welcoming to me as well here on BM.  I do miss her, but I can't stomach The Retreat.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2012, 12:37:23 pm »
Jess was very kind and welcoming to me as well here on BM.  I do miss her, but I can't stomach The Retreat.

Yeah, same here.  I have over 650 private messages (gotta clean those out  ;D) and a good number of them are from Jess.  I do miss her at times.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2012, 03:53:48 pm »

I just don't remember her sending out the welcoming messages.  I don't remember her even being on the welcome wagon.  Lynne was the one that sent me my first message.  I then did it for a few years.  I just don't remember her doing it.  Maybe I am getting forgetful of her.  I know she started my blog for me, without me asking.  I really never thought that anything I might say would matter to anyone..  Then over a spread of time, i would add this or that. 

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2012, 06:15:30 pm »
:laugh:

On one level, that name sounds so hospitable and genteel. I picture ladies sitting on the veranda, sipping Earl Grey from fine china.

Don't forget the picture hats and hoopskirts.  ;D

a transformative-verging-on-mystical movie-going experience.

You can say that twice and mean it!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2012, 07:51:59 pm »
Surprised Artiste hasn't popped in on this thread yet to put in his whatever the Canadian equivalent to two cents is.  He's lurking about anew, I've noticed.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2012, 10:31:20 am »
At one point I even signed up for a Retreat membership! Bill had alerted me to a particularly virulent thread about something I had written that was available only to members. I signed up under a new name (can't even remember what it was, now). Jess, understandably, immediately spotted that this new member was from Minnesota, of course suspected (she was the people on the pavement!) and sent a politely worded welcoming message asking what brought me there. Unlike Ennis, I immediately told her who I was. I really wasn't into sneaking around or anything, I just wanted to access that stuff. But apparently, according to Bill, she then deleted the thread about me so I never did get to see it. I think I maybe posted there once or twice -- Bill kept encouraging me to jump right into the political arguments, because I think he likes the challenge of a debate, too. Say what you will about Brokeplex; he's not interested in enveloping himself in some kind of conservative-only cocoon.

For the record, there was indeed a discussion of an article you had written for, if I remember correctly, Salon.com. Personally, I didn't really have much of an opinion about it one way or the other. Bill thought that since Retreat members were discussing your article, that you should be able to read the comments. I was one who agreed with that. There were others who thought differently. An argument broke out, and Jess decided to delete the thread once everyone had their say.

But I had no interest in stirring up trouble there, or even getting in any big arguments. The Retreat members had very clearly indicated that they were not interested in posting here, in an environment where their views are an anathema to many other people, and where they were almost always in the minority. I am sorry about their decision, but I can understand it. So why should I invade their turf? Besides, the other site was run by a popular, charismatic, interesting and often charming leader to whom people felt a lot of affection and loyalty, and I can understand why they flocked to her.

I cannot speak for the other members at the Retreat, but I will tell you why I followed the other conservatives over there. First, I felt that Jess was handled unfairly over here. I disagreed with the decisions of the moderators and site owner over her exile. Second, there are opinions and conversations that we have over at the Retreat that I know would not be tolerated over here.

I do have to hand it to Milo, though. Milo, you're one of the few if not the only BetterMost conservative who has hung in here. I believe it's partly because you also genuinely relish the challenge of presenting contradictory ideas, and I fully understand that impulse.

True. I stay here because I think its important to offer a different POV.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 10:38:22 am »
I think it's telling that they still monitor this site for content to ridicule. How pathetic can you get...And by the way, Obama will get a second term!

Its no more "pathetic" than the ridicule that was fired at the conservatives when they were posting here.

And you're probably right. It is highly likely that Obama will get a second term. Many Republicans aren't even interested in Romney, and will likely stay home on election day. Strategists have been saying that Romney's campaign is purely sacrificial.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2012, 10:43:34 am »
I believe the number of people quitting Bettermost over the conservatives (or as someone put it "stormed out in a huff" ::)) outnumber the conservatives who left.

While that is true in terms of the head-count, it can also be said that a higher percentage of conservatives left Bettermost over the liberals. I'm basically the only one remaining.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2012, 10:50:09 am »
Which is why people shouldn't discuss religion or politics. Discussing both will divide people faster than just about anything.  I learned that the hard way.

While politics and religion have given rise to numerous conflicts here, I think we would be missing the boat if we didn't point out the fact that we had two groups of people with very different world views. It would not have mattered if we avoided politics and religion. There were many other topics on which we strongly disagreed.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2012, 11:02:43 am »
7 guests currently viewing this topic.

Hmm...
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...