Author Topic: Eerie event #2  (Read 27360 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Eerie event #2
« on: May 26, 2012, 08:19:53 pm »
OK, in my living room is a big old 1960s cabinet stereo.  I inherited from my mother.  It plays - still! - 78s, 33s and 45s and it has an AM radio.

I never use it.  I live by myself. 

Today I was lying on my couch when I heard a grinding noise.  I thought it was the TV, then I thought it was the ac, then I thought it was my next-door neighbor doing yardwork.

I pulled aside some furniture trying to find the sound and realized it was the stereo player.

:o :o :o :o

I took off the lamp, the pictures in their picture frames and then the decorative bowls and cloth cover, opened it up and it was on.  The lights were on, the turntable was turning and the noise was the mechanism starting to heat up.

I turned it off.  You needed to turn a dial to do it.

How the HECK did it turn itself on?

???

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Eerie event #2
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 08:24:37 pm »
That's very eerie!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 09:29:18 pm »
I would say it is probably your mother visiting you....so dont let it scare you.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 11:45:37 pm »
That IS weird!!  :o
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 12:25:07 pm »
OK, in my living room is a big old 1960s cabinet stereo.  I inherited from my mother.  It plays - still! - 78s, 33s and 45s and it has an AM radio.

I never use it.  I live by myself. 

People who live alone can't listen to music?  Geez, turning on the CD player and picking out the mood I want to be in that day, is the first thing I do after I get out of bed.  Even before I turn on the coffee.

Why do you let its bigness take up space in your living room if you don't use it?

Maybe it's your dear departed mother trying to tell you that music is the spice of a single gal's life?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 12:44:04 pm »
People who live alone can't listen to music?  Geez, turning on the CD player and picking out the mood I want to be in that day, is the first thing I do after I get out of bed.  Even before I turn on the coffee.

Why do you let its bigness take up space in your living room if you don't use it?

Maybe it's your dear departed mother trying to tell you that music is the spice of a single gal's life?

:laugh:

No, no, no, I never meant a single person never has need to turn on a music player - it's just that I obviously have no need to turn on a turntable player when I have other methods and other sources.

I let its bigness take up room because it is a reminder of my childhood, sitting there listening to its speakers while my parents played their music.

It is the only thing I specifically asked my mother to leave to me.

Why did she turn it on?  I don't know.  Maybe she wants to communicate, maybe she wants me to play her music, maybe she just wanted to see if she could.  No telling.

And it's eerie enough that she turned it on, so in the words of Josh on the SyFy series "Being Human" I'm going to throttle back on the crazy and not play music for ghosts.  I really don't like the idea of my mother hanging around.  I'm a single woman and you know...some things you don't want your mother to know, let alone witness.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 04:06:24 pm »

How interesting that is.  I have to say, I don't blame you for the idea not wanting her watching what is going on, in case she is there..
I don't really feel its beyond the realm of possibility that something like that caused it to turn on however..       

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 06:21:46 pm »
What was Eerie event #1?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 08:20:47 pm »
What was Eerie event #1?  ???

It's here somewhere on the archives.

Three or four years ago, I came home to find a flashlight that I had left turned off, turned on.

I live alone.  I have cats.  It takes effort and opposable thumbs to turn the flashlight on.

No one had come to my apartment, no friends, no neighbors, no maintenance guy.  Somehow, the flashlight turned itself on.  :o

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 08:46:34 pm »
I remember those turntables/consoles from the 1960s. They make a nice piece of furniture because you can set things on them.

I think it was your Mother Del. I really do. I'm convinced I attract ghosts. Strange things are always happening to me. A couple of months ago I was drinking some wine and the bottom of the glass exploded while I was holding it. The same thing happened to my sister. Twice.

The small chandelier in the upstairs hallway sometimes starts gently swinging back and forth on its own. I've seen the chandelier in the foyer do the same thing.

Yesterday I was drinking a cup of coffee in the family room. I got up and left the room for a minute and when I came back, the coffee cup was sitting in the kitchen. Nobody else was home at the time. And I KNOW I didn't carry it out there. It was still half full. I wouldn't have carried a half full cup of coffee into the kitchen.

I could go on and on. But it sounds like maybe your Mother is paying you a visit. I wouldn't be afraid of it. She just wants to make sure you are okay. And I'm sure she isn't there ALL the time. Just for a minute or two from time to time. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.