Author Topic: Ennis and Alma's wedding  (Read 2618 times)

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Ennis and Alma's wedding
« on: June 01, 2012, 05:41:47 pm »
As we fade into Ennis's marriage to Alma, the first words we hear come from the minister who is half way through a recitation of the Lord's prayer:

"...and forgive our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us..."

In the short story AP passes very quickly over the wedding -"in December Ennis married Alma Beers and had her pregnant by mid-January" is all we're told - so the wedding scene in the film is entirely the creation Of Diana Ossana and Larry McMurty.

This being the case, does anybody feel it is significant that they choose to fade into the marriage service at the point that they did?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 10:34:11 pm by chowhound »

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
Re: Ennis and Alma's wedding
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:48:03 pm »
As we fade into Ennis's marriage to Alma, the first words we hear come from the minister who is half way through a recitation of the Lord's prayer:

"...and forgive our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us..."

In the short story AP passes very quickly over the wedding -"in December Ennis married Alma Beers and had her pregnant by mid-January" is all we're told - so the wedding scene in the film is entirely the creation Of Diana Ossana and Larry McMurty.

This being the case, does anybody feel it is significant that they choose to fade into the marriage service at the point that they did?

In my opinion this was well done. There certainly was a lot of "trespassing" over the next 20 years.

TT
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris