Author Topic: Another Deleted scene?  (Read 17479 times)

Offline Wreeah

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Another Deleted scene?
« on: October 10, 2006, 02:17:31 am »
Hi everyone..
I think this is my first post on this forum.  I've read it many times, but I'm not sure if I've introduced myself.  If I haven't I'll make a post to do just that shortly.

Just recently, I discovered this photo in Yahoo groups...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/kaijuman/cca8.jpg

If this has been discussed before, then please forgive me, I've been away for a while.  But I'm curious about it.  It was titled as Ennis in front of the Twist family plot where Jack was burried... but I know nothing else about it.
The photo doesn't look doctored, so I'm presuming it's a deleted scene.
Does anyone have any more info?

(and here I thought I knew all the deleted scenes!)  ???
It could be like this... just like this...  always.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Another Deleted scene?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 08:25:44 am »
I've seen that photo around (and another one, as well). I haven't anything more about it, though. There isn't a scene at the Twist cemetary in either of the early drafts of the script that I've read, but that doesn't mean the scene wasn't written, filmed, and then left out.

It's also possible that some of the photos floating around are photos, shot for publicity, rather than stills from scenes in the movie. (Most of the pictures of Jack and Ennis leaning against one truck or another are probably something like that, I imagine.)

It's a very poignant shot, though, that's for sure. (The bag! The emptiness of the northern plains! The heartbreak on Ennis's face!)

(And welcome, Wreeah!)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 01:11:06 pm by nakymaton »
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 11:18:26 am »
I believe that this has to be a deleted scene, not a promo picture like those 1,001 shots of jack and/or Ennis posing on or by the truck. (Not that I don't think each and every one of those posed shots are entirely worthwhile, mind you  :) ).

Anyway, Ennis at the Twist plot hasn't been used in any promo that I've seen, and there are very few pics from the scene floating around..... and also it would in a way be giving away the film plot (no pun intended, certainly) too much, which doesn't make sense for promo shots. Plus, it's so sad, it hurts. So I'm pretty sure it has to be an actual deleted scene.

I've been wondering what Ennis is looking at in that first picture linked to here. Then recently I came across this one:

In the first pic he seems to be looking back towards that little copse of sorry-looking trees. Perhaps it's another crow, hidden in the branches, croaking loudly and ominously, just like when Ennis opened Jack's bedroom window.   :'(

We'll never know, of course, unless that elusive special edition DVD with the deleted scenes as bonus material ever materializes. I'm continuing to hope for that to happen.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 11:30:12 am by Mikaela »

Dafna

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 02:48:52 pm »
Both those pictures are lovely and heart breaking. Thank you.

I would not know if they were promo or from deleted scenes. I would imagine though there are deleted scenes out there that never made it to the movie. I too hope they will be available some day and soon.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 05:12:21 pm »
I believe that this has to be a deleted scene, not a promo picture like those 1,001 shots of jack and/or Ennis posing on or by the truck. (Not that I don't think each and every one of those posed shots are entirely worthwhile, mind you  :) ).

Anyway, Ennis at the Twist plot hasn't been used in any promo that I've seen, and there are very few pics from the scene floating around..... and also it would in a way be giving away the film plot (no pun intended, certainly) too much, which doesn't make sense for promo shots. Plus, it's so sad, it hurts. So I'm pretty sure it has to be an actual deleted scene.

I've been wondering what Ennis is looking at in that first picture linked to here. Then recently I came across this one:

In the first pic he seems to be looking back towards that little copse of sorry-looking trees. Perhaps it's another crow, hidden in the branches, croaking loudly and ominously, just like when Ennis opened Jack's bedroom window.   :'(

We'll never know, of course, unless that elusive special edition DVD with the deleted scenes as bonus material ever materializes. I'm continuing to hope for that to happen.

Your way of thinking here is very plausible. I agree that it is probably from a deleted scene. Too spoiler-ish, too sad (or is it only *so* sad for us, who know and love the movie?).

Thank you for this picture, Mikaela  :-*. I haven't seen it before.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 05:43:33 pm »
We need to start a campaign, we need to write Focus Features and demonstrate to them the viability for them and the need by us for a director's cut version.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 05:52:30 pm »
LA:

100 Universal City Plaza
Universal City, CA  91608

888 777 7373

NY:

65 Bleeker Street, 3rd Floor
NY, NY 10012

212 539 4000

London:

Oxford House
76 Oxford Street, 4th Floor
London W1D 1BS, UK

+44 207 307 1330

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 08:43:28 pm »
We need to start a campaign, we need to write Focus Features and demonstrate to them the viability for them and the need by us for a director's cut version.

Tell you what, I'm all for seeing deleted scenes, but don't call it "a director's cut." It's been said elsewhere by folks more movie-savvy than me, that with Ang Lee, what we've got is "the director's cut."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 10:11:26 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. "The Directors Cut" it shall be.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 11:04:04 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. "The Directors Cut" it shall be.

I apologize for being a little bit snarky in my previous post, but what I meant was, it's been said that with Ang Lee as the director, the movie as it exists now is "the director's cut."

There may have been scenes filmed that were left out of the final version, such as Ennis standing by "the grieving plain," but, sure enough, they were left out by Ang Lee's choice, not because someone else, at Focus Features or wherever, decided they had to be cut.

So any hypothetical re-edit of the film to include any deleted footage won't be "a" or "the" "director's cut." We already have the director's cut, what Ang Lee wants the audience to see, in the film as it now exists.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Wreeah

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 11:42:40 pm »
I think the film should be left alone as it is now.  There's some small tiny things I wish had been included, but the way the film currently flows (and what the audience is and isn't alowed to see) works on many levels.  To include any of those deleted scenes might change the emotional impact or perception of a scene.

However, I'd still be curious to see the scenes that were removed in a 'special feature' option on the DVD.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 10:29:48 am »
Oh, okay, understand. So, I would call it maybe "An expanded edition"? or "The version with comentary"? I guess. I'll tell you what, I know more about the movie industry than I did this time last year. Makes me want to pack up and head west and get a job as a gaffer or something.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 12:08:47 pm »

I do hope an expanded DVD is released with at least that cemetery scene included. The still gives me the impression that it belongs in the film, as some of the other deleted scenes I've heard described do not.

My DVD version of Mists of Avalon has a section with scenes that were deleted, with a subtitle explaining why they weren't included. The DVD version of Dances With Wolves, on the other hand, edited some missing scenes back in and as a result the DVD is a significant improvement over the original theatre version.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 12:31:54 pm »
I don't like having deleted scenes added back into a movie... unless the movie really lacked something to begin with. (Like a character's motivation for a particular action, or the emotional response to something.)

I don't think BBM lacks anything. The cemetary scene looks poignant... but I think that the two closets convey Ennis's sense of loss, and I think that their power would be diminished by showing more.

I think this movie is a masterpiece, in part, because of what it doesn't show or doesn't say. Because it leaves so much up to the viewer. So while I want to see every little piece of footage that was shot, I don't want to see it within the movie. (And I really, really, really don't want to see an extended version become known as the "real" movie, as has happened with the Lord of the Rings movies.)

Commentary tracks, though... I would like those.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 01:20:44 pm »
Oh, okay, understand. So, I would call it maybe "An expanded edition"? or "The version with comentary"? I guess.

I like "expanded edition."  :D

I'll tell you what, I know more about the movie industry than I did this time last year. Makes me want to pack up and head west and get a job as a gaffer or something.

How about "best boy"? Always thought that had a nice ring to it. You want a be somebody's "best boy," Shakes?  ;D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 04:34:56 pm »
I think this movie is a masterpiece, in part, because of what it doesn't show or doesn't say. Because it leaves so much up to the viewer. So while I want to see every little piece of footage that was shot, I don't want to see it within the movie.

Amen to every word you said  :)!
I also want to see everything - but not inserted into the movie. Don't change the movie the slightest bit.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 05:02:46 pm »
Amen to every word you said  :)!
I also want to see everything - but not inserted into the movie. Don't change the movie the slightest bit.

Couldn't agree more. I've said it before and I stand by this: The only thing I absolutely don't want to see is an "extended version" with the deleted scenes worked into the current film's narrative.

There's no improving on perfection.

While the risk of marring the beauty and clarity of the film's theatrical version through any changes or additions must be considered all the greater.

I fear that Focus Features are using that exact kind of reasoning for not even releasing a DVD with deleted scenes as separate bonus material, though......
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 05:10:22 pm by Mikaela »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 09:12:12 pm »
Welcome new people.  Want a cup of coffee don't you?  A piece of cherry cake?
 ;)

Those pix of Ennis at the family plot do look sort of familiar, but they certainly do add to the mystery of the deleted scenes/ confusing promo material.

Just watch the official preview for the movie and count how many things are shown in the preview that never made it into the film.  Plus the famous alternative Ennis-in-Jack's-closet scene being shown at the Independent Spirit Awards is another amazing example of extra footage (of one kind or another) floating around out there.

Maybe we should call the long-dreamed-of special edition the Cutting Room Floor version rather than the Director's Cut.  Or, the phrase "Director's Cut" could be interpreted in a different way... we could take it to mean "scenes that the director decided to cut out" rather than the more conventional meaning (which I guess is usually something like 'the director's prefered cut').

;D

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 12:41:17 pm »
Plus the famous alternative Ennis-in-Jack's-closet scene being shown at the Independent Spirit Awards is another amazing example of extra footage (of one kind or another) floating around out there.

This might be a minority opinion, but I'd definitely want to see that scene added, in addition to the cemetery scene. Probably the latter isn't very long.

Maybe we should call the long-dreamed-of special edition the Cutting Room Floor version rather than the Director's Cut.  Or, the phrase "Director's Cut" could be interpreted in a different way... we could take it to mean "scenes that the director decided to cut out" rather than the more conventional meaning (which I guess is usually something like 'the director's prefered cut').

Yeah, "director's cut" seems to be a bit of a misnomer, as a film belongs to the producer in the end, not the director. Unless they're one and the same, of course.

Offline Wreeah

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 01:33:16 am »
There was an alternative 'Closet' scene????  :o
Geez, I'm learning something new about this film all the time.
This is probably old news to most of you here, but I had never heard about this.
Man.... do I ever feel  behind the times  here...

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 01:57:24 am »
This is probably old news to most of you here, but I had never heard about this.
It was either a different take or the scene we see extended.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Toast

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 09:26:07 pm »
RE: deleted scene.
The short story has this paragraph:

"Bumping down the washboard road Ennis passed the country cemetery fenced with sagging sheep wire, a tiny fenced square on the welling prairie, a few graves bright with plastic flowers, and didn't want to know Jack was going in there, to be buried on the grieving plain."

Seems like Ennis visited the cemetery on the grieving plain. 

I just repeatedly reviewed the DVD and the scene looks like Ennis might have walked there from the Twist house and looked back up at the window of Jack's bedroom.  The trees, landscape, bits of buildings and clouds look the same as the Twist house exterior shot.  Including this scene might have made the movie peak too early, with the shirts still in the bag.

About the director's cut:
I would be more eager to have a director's cut of the film if I knew that Ang Lee had had to bow to pressure to edit scenes, etc.  It seems he had free creative reign on the project, and he certainly has been faithful to the wrotten words.   

But boy does a big part of me want to see/hear every thing filmed for the movie.  Every frame, every sound byte, every bit of music ever considered.  Not practical, but a nice collection of stuff would get me to purchase a third DVD of Brokeback.   My fav version right now is the full screen disc.  More, more, more - please.

Toast
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 09:29:26 pm by Toast »

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2006, 11:37:28 pm »
There are also these two:

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2006, 11:42:51 pm »
The second one may be when Cassie had been "leaving word with Steve", and Steve was passing this along to Ennis.

The first one looks to be earlier in the film, but could be anything.

In any case, I think what we all mean when we clamour for deleted scenes is to at least have them as separate extra features on a new DVD, not a re-cut of the film . . .
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 01:52:50 am by lauragigs »

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2006, 03:26:23 am »
We don't see this scene either.  This must be right when Jack leaves Aguirre's trailer (after he's told to 'get the hell out')...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 03:32:40 am »
And don't forget about the "Hippie Scene".   :o  :D 

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2006, 05:21:50 am »
From Toast:
I just repeatedly reviewed the DVD and the scene looks like Ennis might have walked there from the Twist house and looked back up at the window of Jack's bedroom.  The trees, landscape, bits of buildings and clouds look the same as the Twist house exterior shot.  Including this scene might have made the movie peak too early, with the shirts still in the bag.

I agree it does look as if Ennis has walked from the Twist house. That he is possibly looking up at Jack's window with that forlorn look makes my heart ache even more than before for him, if that is even possible.

And it would make sense in a way that he is looking back towards Jack's window - in terms of the scenes and symbolism and in tying the emotional impact on the viewers into one continuing set of punches. But I'm hoping he's looking at something else. If he can see the window from there it means Jack could see the family plot every time he looked out his window, growing up.... What a view for the positive, cheerful Jack....  :-\

Also now I'm wondering what that blue thing or shadow in the lower right hand corner of the first picture is. It looks vaguely like it's supposed to be reminiscent of Jack's blue shirt that Ennis has in his bag, as if something in there already reflects Jack, - and I can't see what it's supposed to be.

The very fact that the family plot is so close to the house gives me pause. I'm sure it's realistic in the scene setting and all, but it nevertheless seems to reflect other cultures where keeping the ancestors and passed family members close by was required as an integral part of the religion, for them to continue to impact and have a say in the lives of the living. In a way, by refusing to let Jack go, that's what old man Twist unintentionally is doing too. By getting back at Jack in his meanspirited way, refusing to honour his son's last wish, he's also  keeping his son close for the memory of his own meanness towards his son, lasting even beyond the grave, to haunt and hower over the Twist farm in later years. Old man Twist sure can't be the superstitious type.

Concerning the other pics that have been posted here, I've got a feeling I would have my heart broken once more by that scene of jack coming out of Aguirre's office.

And I *would* have liked to see the hippie scene, especially since the script version I once saw of that scene had some double-entendre banter between Jack and Ennis - and in the midst of all the sadness it would be good to be reminded that they did have a few lighthearted moments together too.  :-*
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 05:23:44 am by Mikaela »

Offline Rutella

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2006, 09:16:39 am »
And I *would* have liked to see the hippie scene, especially since the script version I once saw of that scene had some double-entendre banter between Jack and Ennis - and in the midst of all the sadness it would be good to be reminded that they did have a few lighthearted moments together too.  :-*

I've heard about the hippie scene, but I haven't seen the script of it (I only have the 2005 script in the story-to-screenplay book), what do they say?

Re another deleted scenes, I would like to see the beginning of the motel scene that's in the 2005 screenplay; it's just the shot of the motel room in the dark and "blue with cigarette smoke" and then Ennis turns on the light. It's a small thing but I guess there's never enough....

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2006, 09:28:26 am »
Wow - an extra disc with these extra scenes, shots, etc would be just wonderful. Don't necessarily want to see the film itself changed, after all it was this version that had such a profound effect on us all. However, it's tantilising to hear about other scenes filmed that we haven't seen.

I'd love to just read the deleted 'hippy' scene, especially if there's banter between the boys. Anybody know of anywhere it might be found?

Karen

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2006, 09:47:09 am »

Also now I'm wondering what that blue thing or shadow in the lower right hand corner of the first picture is. It looks vaguely like it's supposed to be reminiscent of Jack's blue shirt that Ennis has in his bag, as if something in there already reflects Jack, - and I can't see what it's supposed to be.

I think the blue thing is the hood to Ennis's truck.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2006, 04:10:42 pm »

From Mikaela:

To me it looks like another person with blue clothing. Like an arm. I think it can't be a part of the truck, because the truck would have been inside the cementary then.

Maybe it's not only a deleted scene, but an outtake from a deleted scene, where someone from the crew was visible in the camera's range of vision.

Am I the only one who thinks Ennis looks somehow different in the first picture? Too young and ...?? Can't put my finger on it.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2006, 05:01:40 pm »
From Rutellla
I've heard about the hippie scene, but I haven't seen the script of it (I only have the 2005 script in the story-to-screenplay book), what do they say?

It's wuite some time since I read that - and I don't have it to re-read. But I recall that the hippie leader indicated that he thinks Ennis is too tense and hung up, and that Jack afterwards comments to Ennis that he is well hung up. (Swear to God I don't know why I remember that, particularly. Hell, yes I do..... :blush: )

From Penthesilea
To me it looks like another person with blue clothing. Like an arm. I think it can't be a part of the truck, because the truck would have been inside the cementary then.

Maybe it's not only a deleted scene, but an outtake from a deleted scene....

This makes sense. Otherwise it would just be too strange within the context of the film that someone with a blue shirt would happen to be standing in the cemetary out in the middle of nowhere. If it'd been an altogether other type of film, it could have been some sort of vision of Jack or solidified memory that Ennis was having. But I can't see anyone associated with our film even contemplating that kind of thing.

Unless it's Jack's mother......

Anyway I agree that Ennis looks surprisingly young in the first pic. Another indication why the scene was not included in the final film, perhaps.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2006, 06:29:40 pm »
I recall that the hippie leader indicated that he thinks Ennis is too tense and hung up, and that Jack afterwards comments to Ennis that he is well hung up. (Swear to God I don't know why I remember that, particularly. Hell, yes I do..... :blush: )

:o :o :o

I'd never heard that before! Wow. That would be a little jarring in the movie, because there's no other lines remotely like it. (Do they ever allude verbally to anything sexual, at least after TS1, aside from Jack's "high-altitude fucks"?)

It would fit right into the story, though.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2006, 06:59:29 pm »
I thought the blue-thing in that first photo was the edge of a granite tombstone.  It is after all a cemetary and I assume the Twists haven't always been down on their luck.  Maybe ?
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2006, 07:06:51 pm »
Yes, I can think of a coupla instances, Katherine. There's the time when Ennis says, "I like doin it with women, yeah, but Jesus H., ain't nothin' like this."

Is it safe for me to bring up the "wrang it out" line, also by Ennis?

And then there's "You and Lureen, is it normal and all?" also by Ennis. That's from the movie.

Not trusting my memory any more, I drug out my version of the story this time to get the quotes right!

To me, they seem like sexual references, altho I suppose they could fall in the category of innuendo. But since they're from Ennis, I guess that's about as blatant as we're going a get. Not like Jack, he's pretty blunt about the HAFs.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2006, 07:45:26 pm »
In the short story, also there's Ennis's "Sure as hell seem in one piece to me". But that's in the same paragraph as most of Ennis's other such sentences as mentioned by Lee.

In the film - nope. They don't talk about it - or even allude to it, - certainly not after they start the fishing trips.That part of the short story's motel scene has been cut out, except Jack's line about "getting into this again". The film's got a "neither show nor tell" policy going for the whole post motel part - which makes Jack's eventual "high altitude fucks" line stand out and seem all the more significant and conspicuous, as must surely have been the intention.

What they don't talk about tell a lot about them, about their relationship, during the various stages of those 20 years. Pre-TS1 they never talk of girls or sex the way you'd have expected two 19-year old guys to do. (It's more conspicuous in the short story where we get a long list of what they talk about - down to the dogs they've owned and known, but not girls.) Of course once TS1 is past, the story says "they never talked about the sex, let it happen" - so the film's very canon there. Post-reunion they don't talk about sex either - at least not with each other - in the short story they even talk kids and wives and girlfriends while undressing and touching each other.

Despite all the above I've always thought that Ennis's line  "the kind of riding that interested him lasted longer than 8 seconds and had some point to it" was one of his few attempts of obvious innuendo. Of course, the line has been changed in the film to become a straightforward statement/question specifically about the point of rodeo riding, and any original innuendo is lost.

From Dot-matrix
I thought the blue-thing in that first photo was the edge of a granite tombstone.  It is after all a cemetary and I assume the Twists haven't always been down on their luck.  Maybe ?

Now I have this vision of Jack's granddad, insisting on being the stud duck in the family plot - insisting on having a granite tombstone, towering over the others'.  ::) But I do think it looks like cloth rather than stone.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 07:59:19 pm by Mikaela »

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2006, 10:17:56 pm »

Plus the famous alternative Ennis-in-Jack's-closet scene being shown at the Independent Spirit Awards is another amazing example of extra footage (of one kind or another) floating around out there.

This might be a minority opinion, but I'd definitely want to see that scene added, in addition to the cemetery scene. Probably the latter isn't very long.

Yeah, "director's cut" seems to be a bit of a misnomer, as a film belongs to the producer in the end, not the director. Unless they're one and the same, of course.

It was either a different take or the scene we see extended.

I was on the bandwaggon to find that scene (alternate scene/cut), and thankfully we did finally locate it, one of the highpoints of my BetterMost experience.  Here is a link to more info about it.  I just checked, two of the four links are obsolete, so grab it while you can.  FYI the scene we were so over the moon about is only about two or three seconds, BTW.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=2600.0;all

Jane

PS, Can you please answer the Poll question at the top?  this will have a two-fold beneficial effect.  tks.
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2006, 10:22:56 pm »

The hippy scene is hilarious, especially for anyone who happens to be a recovering Deadhead, but I'm glad it isn't in the movie. I read somewhere that even when they filmed it, they knew it wasn't going to be included.

LOL Mel, I wish I could mind-meld to your brain, and gain all this vital, VALUABLE, oh--so-priceless inside information you have tucked away in there.  thanks for sharing...  :-*  (and if anyone is wondering, no, this is not meant to be sarcastic)

J

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2006, 10:27:44 pm »

Could it be the shadow of the Cameraman and his camera?  ie:  a blooper?

J

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2006, 11:08:19 pm »
(And Jane, hon, my brain is a really scary place. Believe me, you just don't want to know what's in there...)

Are you kiddin' me?!!!  for the person who came up with this????

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=4253.msg84124#msg84124

g'wan, don't be so dang modest Mel, you know I love your brain,  :-*

J

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2006, 02:15:46 am »
For anyone interested in deleted scenes and outtakes, there's a post with lots of new pictures over at Wranglers. Apparently having to do with pics released in connection with the wardrobe E-bay sale.

It's HERE Don't miss it!

(And apologies if it's been posted or linked to already. I'm flying by in a hurry. Never enough time.)

Personally, I think the one with Jack and the swooning sheep on his lap is priceless. Seriously. Who wouldn't look just like that sheep under the circumstances?

-------

I remember that about them knowing the hippie scene wasn't going to be used while they were filming it. I think it possibly was in the Toronto press conference. At least I'm positive it was in an early interview with Jake and/or  Heath. I could search a bit, but not now. No time. Aaargggh.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 02:17:34 am by Mikaela »

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2006, 02:36:24 am »
For anyone interested in deleted scenes and outtakes, there's a post with lots of new pictures over at Wranglers. Apparently having to do with pics released in connection with the wardrobe E-bay sale.

It's HERE Don't miss it!

(And apologies if it's been posted or linked to already. I'm flying by in a hurry. Never enough time.)

Personally, I think the one with Jack and the swooning sheep on his lap is priceless. Seriously. Who wouldn't look just like that sheep under the circumstances?

-------

I remember that about them knowing the hippie scene wasn't going to be used while they were filming it. I think it possibly was in the Toronto press conference. At least I'm positive it was in an early interview with Jake and/or  Heath. I could search a bit, but not now. No time. Aaargggh.

Hot damn Mika, those pics are awsome!  Thanks for pointing them out to us!!!   :-* :-*

Jane
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 02:56:03 am by JakeTwist »

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2006, 08:31:33 am »
Thanks for the pictures, Mika!

Did you notice that there's one that looks like Jack in front of the sheep pen, after coming down from the mountain... but without the bruise? That's got to be a promo picture taken without the final makeup or something.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2006, 04:41:58 pm »
That's got to be a promo picture taken without the final makeup or something.

Guess so. Jake looks so good in it, no wonder a promo photographer wanted that pic! I figure the same has to be the case with the pic of him at the bar with Jimbo in the background.

:P

Several of the pics have obvious outtake quality - like a staff person's clipboard is visible, or some moviemaking equipment stands at the edge of the pic, or Ennis's horse is taking a dump. All of this seems to indicate that the most probable explanation for the mysterious blue "thing" in the pic of Ennis as the family plot is that one of the film crew is partly visible in the pic.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2006, 04:51:20 pm »
Returning to our friends the hippies for a moment......

I put the Toronto Press conference on in the background while typing up some stuff, and wouldn't you know - the hippies come up in the very last question! In which they discuss scenes that didn't make the cut..... and first James Schamus and then Jake mention the hippies. They say the scene was filmed, then Jake says there were some really really funny lines at the end of the scene. Then there's a lot of unintelligible whispering (probably Jake and Heath either trying to remember those lines, or discussing whether they would be wise to repeat them), and then Jake just dismisses it by saying it was really funny, but you had to have been there, so that's probably why the scene's not in the film.

They do not say that they knew, even while filming, that it wouldn't make it into the film.

It's just so annoying that I can't recall where I read or heard that, back when the film first premiered. I know I did! I'll browse through some of the film magazines, see if it's there. I'm on a mission now!

::)

(Not that I have an obsessive nature, far from it, not in the slightest...... why would anyone ever think that??  ;) )

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2006, 10:43:59 am »
Here's the long link (mentioned above) to all the new pictures:

http://community.livejournal.com/wranglers/1224415.html

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 05:39:27 am »
A lot of the links are now broken, but it was still nice reading this thread.
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2008, 11:26:19 am »
Yeah, it was kind of disappointing to go to that Wranglers page and see that every single picture had been  "moved or deleted".   I mean — not to be turdish or anything — but is it that hard to keep up a Photobucket account?  The basic ones are free.