Author Topic: CLOUD ATLAS: Lana Wachowsky & Tom Tykwer & Andy Wachowsky: OCT 26  (Read 156641 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: CLOUD ATLAS: Lana Wachowsky & Tom Tykwer & Andy Wachowsky: OCT 26
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2012, 06:37:13 pm »

Crazy Person JG saw it at the 12:01 Midnight Showing Thursday night/Friday morning at the 42nd Street AMC. I really liked it a lot. First 30-40 minutes, and I was interested, but I bit detached, but then--boom, I was there.

There WERE problems, a couple of issues I can't reveal at the moment for their spoilerish natures, BUT. I really, really enjoyed it. Three hours--go like nothing. TOTALLY absorbed. I cried. What else can I say? I'll be seeing it AGAIN, and that soon.

Thanks, John.  Sometimes I prefer friends' reviews over the professionals'.  Especially obsessive friends!  8)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2012, 06:58:10 pm »
Awesome to hear! :D
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2012, 01:00:08 pm »

Simply.
Amazing.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crHHycz7T_c[/youtube]
Published on Oct 24, 2012 by hrcmedia

Wow, that's easily the best acceptance speech, and one of the best speeches period, I've ever heard.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2012, 02:06:57 pm »

Wow, that's easily the best acceptance speech, and one of the best speeches period, I've ever heard.

I agree.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/10/24/lana_wachowski_s_visibility_award_speech_cloud_atlas_director_on_coming.html

Lana Wachowski’s Moving Speech
About Being Transgender

By Katie Kilkenny
Posted Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2012, at 2:15 PM ET

Director Lana Wachowski speaks at a panel discussion following the Cloud Atlas U.S.
premiere.

At the beginning of her acceptance speech for the Human Rights Campaign’s Visibility Award in San Francisco last Saturday, director Lana Wachowski professes that she has never given a speech—or at least, not since the eighth grade. Given the candid, humorous, and heartrending account of coming out as transgender that follows, you wouldn’t know it.

Wachowski, who helmed The Matrix  and this fall’s Cloud Atlas  as part of a directing duo once called “The Wachowski Brothers,” has always carefully guarded her privacy. Until recently, she had not made a public appearance for her films in years. “People have mistakenly assumed that this has something to do with my gender, “Wachowski says in the speech, “it does not.”

The speech provides a rare glimpse of Wachowski’s sharp wit and her experience rebuffing binary gender classification. You can watch the whole thing below. (There is also a transcript .)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crHHycz7T_c[/youtube]
Published on Oct 24, 2012 by hrcmedia

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2012, 10:35:03 am »
I walked out of the theater last night after seeing Cloud Atlas thinking about this thread. Had it not been for the numerous postings it may have not caught my attention, I was composing something to express my amazement at seeing this film, and it included much profanity for emphasis, as I felt empowered to do so.

This movie needs to be seen, all 2 3/4 hours of it, OMG, it is the righteous slap in the face to convention, the declaration of thought over fear, Ayn Rand can kiss my ass. She wishes she could tell a story this good.

This came at just the right time for me, I had been feeling down and trapped and alienated from family and friends locally over this presidential election and this story reminded me: All life is suffering, everything is a struggle and it is worth it. I left that theater feeling like I could, I could give my life for something, and not be afraid of it. Love is a force of nature, love goes on.

Go see this movie.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2012, 11:34:32 am »

I walked out of the theater last night after seeing Cloud Atlas thinking about this thread. Had it not been for the numerous postings it may have not caught my attention, I was composing something to express my amazement at seeing this film, and it included much profanity for emphasis, as I felt empowered to do so.

This movie needs to be seen, all 2 3/4 hours of it, OMG, it is the righteous slap in the face to convention, the declaration of thought over fear, Ayn Rand can kiss my ass. She wishes she could tell a story this good.

This came at just the right time for me, I had been feeling down and trapped and alienated from family and friends locally over this presidential election and this story reminded me: All life is suffering, everything is a struggle and it is worth it. I left that theater feeling like I could, I could give my life for something, and not be afraid of it. Love is a force of nature, love goes on.

Go see this movie.

I'm so glad you liked it, Truman!!   :)

Ben Whishaw as Robert Frobisher in Cloud Atlas
atop the Scott Monument in Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

James D'Arcy as Rufus Sixsmith and Ben Whishaw as Robert Frobisher in Letters from Zedelghem Edinburgh

James D'Arcy as Rufus Sixsmith in Letters from Zedelghem Edinburgh

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:49:59 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2012, 12:08:58 pm »
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Cloud-Atlas-Infographic-Explains-Karmic-Journeys-Movie-Characters-33823.html

MOVIE NEWS
Cloud Atlas
Infographic

Explains The Karmic Journeys
Of The Movie's Characters

Author: Kristy Puchko
2012-10-29 15:55:56

Here at Cinema Blend, we haven't been shy about our admiration for the Wachowski Siblings' latest epic effort Cloud Atlas.  With friend and colleague Tom Tykwer, Andy and Lana Wachowski dove deep into David Mitchell's supposedly unfilmable novel that encompasses six narratives in six different worlds, and somehow produced a movie that is not only one of the year's biggest cinematic spectacles, but also full of symbolism and a plethora of engaging storylines.

But beyond the adventures of the book's heroes—like Adam Ewing, Robert Frobisher, Luisa Rey, Timothy Cavendish, Somni-451 and Zachry the goat herder—Wachowski Starship and Tykwer invented new character arcs by giving their cast multiple roles over the film's extensive timelines. In doing so, they not only bolstered Mitchell's theme of reincarnation, but also created character arcs that transcend lifetimes. Below, we break down how each of these characters rise and fall in in terms of their moral values over the course of Cloud Atlas.  As you might guess, this is entirely constructed of spoilers.

Scroll to see enlarged images:

Scroll to see enlarged images:

Please note: VERY oddly, this infographic does not show Ben Whishaw or Zhou Xun at all!

In any case, if you wish, click for
some spoilers.

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2012, 12:10:06 pm »
All life is suffering, everything is a struggle and it is worth it. I left that theater feeling like I could, I could give my life for something, and not be afraid of it. Love is a force of nature, love goes on.

Go see this movie.

Tru, was your name Siddhartha in a previous life?  :)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2012, 01:30:05 pm »
I doubt it, but I did have a dog named Sidartha Guitarma. She was the smartest dog in the world.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2012, 01:36:28 pm »
That graphic is very helpful keeping it all straight, and I wouldn't worry about spoilers, this storyline is so complex I think spoiler alerts are just not even applicable.

I need to check the library and see if they have the book, there are some tremendous lines in the movie, the one about "what is the ocean but a bunch of drops" something like that. When I get the DVD, and I will, I'm going to have to watch it with the subtitles again.