Author Topic: ROAD TRIP: A BBM Game  (Read 420722 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: ROAD TRIP: A New BBM Game
« Reply #380 on: October 27, 2006, 01:26:12 pm »
Horse Creek, Wy

Getting ready for a ROAD TRIP in my 1951 Frazer. San Diego, Ca to  Hesperia, Ca then to Whittier, Ca.   

Mark
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 10:49:57 am by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #381 on: October 27, 2006, 02:15:06 pm »
Kathleen, Alberta
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #382 on: October 27, 2006, 03:21:09 pm »
Newgulf, TX

The Texas Gulf Sulphur Company built the town in 1928 - before most of Wharton county had paved roads. Named by contest (open to employees only), Newgulf was comprised of 400 one, two, and three bedroom houses that were leased to employees. The town even had its own downtown - a single four-lane road with essential businesses on either side, including a movie theater.
Newgulf Texas houses and trees

The town had its own post office and the company provided a hospital, library, school, and golf course. The population of Newgulf was 1,586 in 1940 - the highest it would ever be. The semi-isolated community was a world unto itself - and residents developed into a very close-knit community - seldom venturing out - even to still-developing Boling - just 3 miles away.

The year Newgulf "opened" an independent school district was formed with three schools. Iago, Texas and Newgulf each had elementary schools, and Boling hosted the region's high school. After WWII Newgulf began to decline as the demand for sulphur deceased. Texas Gulf Sulphur built new plants and local employees were laid off.

Company houses were first sold to "civilian" buyers in the early 60s. More efficient mining practices led to further layoffs and for the 1980 census there were just under 1,000 residents. Only 100 houses remained by 1990 and residents did more of their shopping in Wharton. The clubhouse and golf course continued in operation but in 1993 the post office closed and the Newgulf school merged with the Boling school.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #383 on: October 27, 2006, 05:28:35 pm »
Fort Macleod, AB
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 05:31:03 pm by meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #384 on: October 27, 2006, 05:38:52 pm »
I see that we had a double "Y" post this afternoon.  jpwagoneer (king of the "Y" cities) posted Yondese del Cedro, Mexico, after belbbmfan's Yellowstone, Alberta.  :P

Rather than worry about changing the posts that followed jp's, I am granting belbbmfan a special SIDE TRIP, which means she can post a city beginning with whatever letter she wishes, no matter what the post before hers might dictate!

Choose well, belbbmfan!   8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #385 on: October 27, 2006, 05:39:15 pm »
Didsbury, AB

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #386 on: October 27, 2006, 05:50:29 pm »
Yarrellton, TX

AKA Yaralton, or Yarrelton, the town was formed in the late 1860s by settlers from Alabama. The town was named to honor Storekeeper / Judge Tom Yarrell.

The first classes of the school were held under a brush-arbor in 1876. A post office opened in 1886. In 1890 the population was 50 and the town had a gin and two stores.

Yarrellton was once famous for its huge Fourth of July picnics, which sometimes drew crowds over a thousand people. In 1941 the population was reported as fifty-eight and its been in a slow decline ever since.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #387 on: October 27, 2006, 08:09:30 pm »
I see that we had a double "Y" post this afternoon.  jpwagoneer (king of the "Y" cities) posted Yondese del Cedro, Mexico, after belbbmfan's Yellowstone, Alberta.  :P

Rather than worry about changing the posts that followed jp's, I am granting belbbmfan a special SIDE TRIP, which means she can post a city beginning with whatever letter she wishes, no matter what the post before hers might dictate!

Choose well, belbbmfan!   8)

Fabienne, I want you to realize, we have had no J, Q, or V towns....think Quanah, Quanah....

Leslie

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #388 on: October 28, 2006, 12:59:15 am »
North San Pedro, Tx

Pop. 920

Mark
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 12:46:51 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #389 on: October 28, 2006, 05:35:09 am »

Choose well, belbbmfan!   8)

hmmm, verrrrry difficult, i have to say!

Fabienne, I want you to realize, we have had no J, Q, or V towns....think Quanah, Quanah....

Leslie

okay, Leslie, a special tribute to you!  :-*

QUANAH

Home of the Lazy L Farm and its two beautiful owners:

Fabienne
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 05:38:16 am by belbbmfan »
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'