Author Topic: Nick Payne's IF THERE IS I HAVEN’T FOUND IT YET with Jake Gyllenhaal  (Read 26547 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

The Model Critic Reviews:
IF THERE IS
I HAVEN’T FOUND IT YET

Carlos Stafford, The Model Critic
Posted on September 17, 2012

“If There Is I Haven’t Found It Yet” is a seemingly simple four character dramedy set in Britain, but could be anywhere. The comedy part is like the comedy you’d encounter, in say, “The Sea Gull” by Chekov–individuals orbiting in their own sphere of isolation, befuddled in how to connect to those about them.

In this case, a family, simple and neat. George (Brian F. O’ Byrne) and Fiona (Michelle Gomez) are husband and wife, both teachers; they have a fifteen year old daughter, Anna (Anne Funke), and are visited by George’s brother, Terry (Jake Gyllenhaal, making his Off-Broadway debut.)

The bare bones of the plot consists of young Anna, fat and bullied, being suspended from school for fighting.  She has transferred to her mother’s school in hopes things will improve. Terry, a bohemian traveler, arrives unannounced and sees the neglect that Anna’s parents have for her, and through him all the problems of their marriage, and their empty relationship with their daughter are magnified.

George, played by O’ Byrne, (Coast of Utopia, Doubt ) is a dry, detached, emotionally stunted academic who cannot connect with his feelings, full of knowledge, but lacking in wisdom.  Always pondering other worlds, he stutters and stammers, and lacks grace. He is writing a ponderous, depressing scientific tome on mankind’s carbon footprint on the planet, while at the same time oblivious to his own insensitivities. He clearly, myopically, doesn’t see the forest for the trees.  He reminds us of the mid-eighteenth century argument against Rationalism, where people like Rousseau felt humankind could not rely solely on science to solve our problems; that only through heart, intuition, and feelings, mainly, could we become complete, i.e., enter the Romantic Poets. George, unfortunately, is one hundred-eighty degrees to the edge of this logic.

Fiona, his wife, is bored and detached in another way, and does little to understand her daughter or connect with George. She has given up, bleak and resigned, and has accepted the gulf between them quietly.  Her role is underwritten, but she is referred to as the C-word twice by others.

Terry enters one day–skull cap, beard, hoodie, and rucksack. Dusty and tired from the road, he has returned to see his true love, Rachel, and win her over once more.  But Rachel is now engaged to another and Terry  is now left in his own personal agony, alongside Anna.  Worldly, wise, and coarse, he tries in his own gruff way to mentor Anna, and give her sound, sweet advice. She listens to her uncle, but has an unfortunate lapse in youthful judgement, and bounds into a naive sexual encounter with an older boy. From here, things unwind further for her, almost fatally.

Michael Longhurst, the director, doesn’t dwell long on the scenes– it is not a long days journey. The play moves fast, ninety minutes, no intermission. Everything begins with the family in distress and spirals downward quickly till the end. The scenes are short, with the end of each encounter having characters hurling pieces of the set as a punctuation to the building chaos. The stage soon becomes a mess.  When the play begins, there is a gentle scrim of water lightly falling at stage front that later, eventually develops into a veritable flood. Water then, becomes the fifth character, a silent narrator.

All the elements, a bad marriage, an alienated daughter, errant uncle, unfeeling parents–pretty ordinary stuff today. Nick Payne, the playwright, doesn’t care to analyze the malaise–he only presents his characters clearly, without sentimentally lingering. The characters are intelligent, well-educated, and have ethics, but are confused and dead inside. Neither George nor Fiona ever hug, kiss, joke, or laugh together, while Terry has no will, is defeated.

Jake Gyllenhaal does wonderfully as Terry.  He has fun with his cockney accent and has charisma in his spunky acting.  He loves his character and conveys Terry’s inner life with lots of feeling and range.  As a movie star he makes the leap to stage with an ease that was fun to watch–the Laura Pels is a perfect showcase for this intimate play and character.

At the end, the stage is left a mess of water and flotsam–like the Titanic,  mentioned earlier in the play.

A small group of people have been set adrift, separated, rescue impossible. Later, as George lectures at the University, he unintentionally digresses and ponders, “It’s not what must be done, but how to convince people to do it.” He is speaking about his ecological concerns, but he dimly understands the fingers are all pointing to himself.

Now Playing at
THE HAROLD AND MIRIAM STEINBERG CENTER FOR THEATRE

Until November 25, 2012

The Laura Pels Theatre
111 West 46th Street, New York, NY, 10036
Ticket Services: (212) 719-1300

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Nick Payne's IF THERE IS I HAVEN’T FOUND IT YET with Jake Gyllenhaal
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 11:18:14 pm »
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/theater-review-i-found-roundabout-article-1.1163725?localLinksEnabled=false

Theater review:

If There Is
I Haven’t Found It Yet

at the Roundabout

Everything's Jake for Gyllenhaal as
he makes his New York theater debut

by Joe Dziemianowicz
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, September 20, 2012, 11:09 PM

Anna Funke helps her uncle (Jake Gyllenhaal) get something cooking in the kitchen.

“If There Is I Haven’t Found It Yet” is a small ensemble play getting a big profile boost from Jake Gyllenhaal.

Happily, the “Brokeback Mountain” Oscar nominee shows off sturdy stage chops in his New York theater debut.

He’s touching, funny and completely convincing as Uncle Terry, a scruffy man-boy chronically adrift, profane, bad with boundaries, but with a good heart. In short, Terry is far from perfect but likable.

The same goes for this 90-minute one-act by British playwright Nick Payne, an up-and-comer who puts his own spin on the popular topic of family dysfunction and durability.

Despite a tendency to spell out themes and dip into cliches, Payne is blessed with an ear for dialogue that sounds everyday and lived-in.

The story, set in England, centers on chubby 15-year-old Anna (Annie Funke), an outcast bullied by classmates and ignored by her folks.

Fiona (Michelle Gomez), her mom, is a teacher preoccupied with her job and student productions. The latest, to bolster the notion that everything is a battle, is a musical version of “War of the Worlds.”

Anna’s dad, George (Brian F. O’Byrne), is an author and environmentalist blind to troubles at home. He’s obsessed with global warming and carbon footprints of practically everything — a banana, an international flight, having a child, a pair of shoes. “Everything,” he says, “counts a little more than we think.”

Terry, George’s long-estranged brother arrives and (as outsiders typically do in plays) shakes everything up. At the same time, he and fellow loner Anna clumsily bond.

It’s a straightforward story. Which may be why U.K.-based director Michael Longhurst felt compelled to pump things up in his staging. Instead of a realistic home, Beowulf Boritt ’s set is an abstract space with furniture jammed at center stage. Actors drag out sticks of furniture as needed.

And there’s water — and lots of it — that flows to underscore parallels between Anna’s plight and the planet’s. Chairs and tables become flotsam and jetsam as they’re tossed into a moat-like tank lining the stage.

It’s splashy and gimmicky. But it doesn’t swamp Gyllenhaal and company. Scottish actress Gomez clearly conveys Fiona’s frustrations, while the ever-reliable O’Byrne (a Tony winner for “Frozen”) captures George’s passion and awakening regret. Sensitive and uninhibited, Funke makes a poignant Anna, who goes to a very dark — if not altogether surprising — place.

Payne leaves the family with a glimmer of hope. It’s no fluke that George is shown near the end of the play holding an ecologist’s No. 1 enemy — a plastic bag. So maybe he is changing.

"Camping Out"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 11:26:41 pm »

Jack was on Jimmy Fallon last night, and Letterman the night before.  He is hitting the hustings quite hard.  I am sure it is
because he has the play and A new movie released for this weekend.

I don't believe I have ever seen him when he was so thoroughly accepting of the famous movie star accolades.  He is getting
grown up, and comfortable in his celebrity it seemed.

Beautiful mind

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 11:31:22 pm »

http://nymag.com/listings/theater/if-there-is-i-havent-found-it-yet/

Critics' Pick
If There Is
I Haven’t Found It Yet

By Scott Brown
9/21/12 at 2:30 PM

Jake Gyllenhaal (left) in If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet.

Recently Opened

Jake Gyllenhaal, it turns out, is a stage actor of innate instinct: Whether he’s delivering a laugh line, getting lost in playwright Nick Payne's trademark ellipses, or tossing furniture into the Plexiglas sluice director Michael Longhurst has attached to the lip of the stage, Gyllenhaal displays the intuitive understanding of theater-space — its exact dimensions and tolerances — that eludes so many film actors. He’s in perfect communication with hundreds of people while maintaining perfect intimacy with his scene partners. Not bad for a newbie.  

Of course, it doesn’t hurt that he’s been gifted the plum role in Payne’s celebrated debut piece, If There Is I Haven’t Found It Yet,  which swept London critics off their feet a few years ago. Gyllenhaal is Terry, the ne’er-do-well younger brother of George (Brían F. O’Byrne), an academic and climate Cassandra. George, who’s spent his adulthood in a state of mild shock at the apocalyptic state of the environment and the human unwillingness to respond, has lost himself in a massive project: a book that will list the carbon footprint of practically every human action. Meanwhile, his marriage to Fiona (Michelle Gomez) is failing, and his overweight teenage daughter Anna (Annie Funke) is in a personal tailspin he’s all too happy to ignore. Enter Uncle Terry, lovelorn and self-involved and borderline sociopathic, a walking avatar of human catastrophe. He shakes up the family and the play — then vanishes, as a more conventional family drama takes over. The performances are all excellent, but the story can’t find a fulcrum. (It’s Anna, on paper, but onstage, her scripted sulks and evasions ultimately make her more symbol than character.)

Young Brits are far ahead of their American counterparts when it comes to effectively synthesizing the personal, the political, the ecological, and the social. (I eagerly await a Stateside production of Mike “Cock” Bartlett’s Earthquakes in London, which plays with a somewhat similar premise.) But If There Is is a young, tender, exploratory play, and ultimately, it takes refuge in the same paralyzed bourgeois mildness its characters are smothering under. The flood comes — quite literally, thanks to some impressive, if slightly cumbersome onstage waterworks — and we still end up swaddled in cozy, prime-time-drama what-can-you-do-but-love-each-other comfort. Sorry, I’m too terrified for that. I’d rather you just abandon me on an ice floe, like the dead Eskimo I am. Even as the waters rise onstage, we’re allowed to feel that we’re watching this from far above sea level. Thanks, but I’d like to be reminded I’m already below it.

Laura Pels Theatre
111 W. 46th St., New York, NY10036
nr. Sixth Ave.  See Map | Subway Directions
212-719-9393

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 08:08:37 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 11:36:29 pm »
Yay! I'm so happy for Jake! He deserves only the best.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 11:53:35 pm »

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117948384

Off Broadway
If There Is
I Haven't Found It Yet

By Marilyn Stasio
Posted: Thu., Sep. 20, 2012, 7:32pm PT

Anna Funke and Jake Gyllenhaal in
"If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet."

The raw pain of a teenage girl is not an easy thing to witness, and scribe Nick Payne makes no attempt to sugarcoat the anguish in his blistering domestic drama, "If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet." But a compassionate production from ardent director Michael Longhurst -- one with committed perfs from selfless thesps Jake Gyllenhaal, Brian F. O'Byrne, and Michelle Gomez and a brave turn from young Annie Funke -- can provide the dubious comfort of a bloodletting.

British wunderkind Nick Payne (whose award-winning "Constellations" is about to transfer to the West End) can't claim originality for penning yet another dysfunctional family drama about yet another set of self-absorbed parents with their heads so far up their butts they're oblivious to the misery of their own suffering offspring. But passion counts for plenty, and there's plenty to go around in this bitter little narrative about a grossly overweight (not so gross by American standards, but hey) girl named Anna, played by baby Yank thesp Funke with a badly bruised soul and a killer of a British accent, who has become the punching bag of the bullies at her school.

Anna is not only physically fat and mentally sluggish, but sullen and emotionally withdrawn -- not the most endearing qualities in a kid so desperately in need of parental affection and concern. For all the character's neediness, Funke asks for nothing, expects nothing, and takes it all on the chin in a performance that would have a less committed thesp gasping for a breath of air.

And where, pray tell, are Anna's parents in all this? They're pathologically distracted by the detritus of their lives -- a huge pile of junk that is picked off, one bulky piece at a time, after each scene, to be tossed into a deep watery trough that stretches across the full length of the stage. The symbolism is more than a bit obvious in director Longhurst's production, but effective for all that.

Big daddy George, in a drop-dead-brilliant turn by O'Byrne, is the character with the most baggage, a fanatical environmentalist consumed by the book he's writing about the deadly impact of the human-generated garbage choking the natural environment. It's an astonishing perf, and absolutely terrifying for the distance it puts between this stupid man and his neglected child.

Anna's mother, Fiona, in an equally breathless perf from English stage stalwart Michelle Gomez, is no less oblivious. A teacher who had Anna transferred to her own school, presumably to keep the girl under her wing, this self-absorbed mother has the temerity to question the authenticity of the child's experiences.

The only person with the slightest inkling of what it feels like to be an outcast like Anna is George's younger brother, Terry, a jumped-up, juiced-up, totally screwed-up good-for-nothing with the good sense to know that he's good for nothing. Terry has a keen and incredibly snide sense of humor as far as his brother is concerned. "How about weed?" he asks, when George delivers one of his endlessly boring lectures about the environmental impact of petrol and cheeseburgers and lattes and everything else under the sun. "What's the carbon footprint of a joint?"

No wonder Anna loves her bad-boy uncle, as do we all. They speak the same language because they feel the same pain. In Gyllenhaal's wonderfully manic, crazy-like-a-fox perf, it's fairly obvious that Terry, no less than Anna, is one of those endangered species being pushed off the edge of the planet. Unless, of course, they manage to spit out the indigestible garbage that people like George keep trying to shove down their throats.

Laura Pels Theater; 408 seats; $100 top

George - Brian F. O'Byrne
Fiona - Michelle Gomez
Anna - Annie Funke
Terry - Jake Gyllenhaal

Sets, Beowulf Boritt; costumes, Susan Hilferty; lighting, Natasha Katz; original music & sound, Obadiah Eaves; dialect coach, Ben Furey; production stage manager, J. Philip Bassett. Opened Sept. 20, 2012. Reviewed Sept. 14. Running time: 1 HOUR, 35 MIN.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 07:24:42 am »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/review-bullying-and-climate-change-entwine-in-clever-if-there-is-i-havent-found-it-yet/2012/09/20/154bd592-0387-11e2-9132-f2750cd65f97_story.html

Review:
Bullying and climate change entwine in clever
If There Is
I Haven’t Found It Yet

By Associated Press

Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Gomez, Annie Funke, and Brian F. O’Byrne in a scene from Nick
Payne’s “If There Is I Haven’t Found It Yet,” performing off-Broadway at Roundabout at
Laura Pels Theatre in New York.

NEW YORK — What if you’re drowning in misery and nobody seems to care? The despair of being bullied is one theme of Nick Payne’s clever, edgy domestic drama, “If There Is I Haven’t Found It Yet,” about a British family that knows it’s falling apart but can’t seem to take action to stop it.

Payne’s other concern is whether people can care enough about global climate change to actually change their ways and work to prevent it. He deftly interweaves these concepts as his characters ricochet from humor to heartbreak, in the engaging, layered and thoughtfully-observed production that opened Thursday night off-Broadway at the Roundabout Theatre Company’s Laura Pels Theatre.

Without leaking too many details, wonderfully unexpected things happen with water and props in director Michael Longhurst’s exciting, inventive staging. A delicate waterfall and a pool provide dramatic metaphors for the overwhelming unhappiness building within the central character, an overweight and bullied teenage girl named Anna whose family seems remarkably unable to figure out how to help her.

Payne writes dialogue the way real people talk, often in awkward fragments, with sentences left dangling and important words unsaid. Anna’s academic father George stammers and repeats himself, while George’s uneducated brother Terry barks staccato sentences laden with curses. The f-word is hurled more than 150 times, but after a while, you won’t even notice it.

Annie Funke is vulnerable and appealing as 15-year-old Anna, who can’t believe she gets suspended from school for lashing back at her tormentors. Funke stomps around in perfect imitation of an angry teenage girl, sensitively calibrating her performance between moods of infatuation, disappointment, eager hope and sullen anguish.

Brian F. O’Byrne gives an aloof, slightly goofy air to George, an environmental scientist obsessed with global warming. He’s preoccupied with writing a book that he hopes will change the world, about the carbon emissions attached to everyday objects. But knowing that a single latte a day is attached to as much CO2 as a “60-mile drive in the average car” could potentially render people as inert as Anna’s helpless parents.

Anna’s uncle Terry is played with zeal by Jake Gyllenhaal, extremely effective in his New York stage debut. George’s charming but aimless younger brother bursts in on the family after a few years away. Gyllenhaal crackles with self-loathing and anger, as Terry hopes to mend a romance he destroyed. Terry takes a kindly interest in Anna and their friendship blossoms, but then he gets bogged down in typical poor decision-making, leaving Anna more despondent than before.

Michelle Gomez plays Anna’s mother, Fiona, as sensible but a bit remote. Preoccupied with running the school musical, she’s tried to stop the bullying by moving Anna to the school where she teaches, but that only makes things worse.

The combined inability of these three adults to understand and act upon the depth of Anna’s growing misery sparks a cataclysmic situation, much like CO2 piling up in our atmosphere.

Kudos to Beowulf Boritt for set design, and to the whole production crew for creating major watery magic. Whether this family can pull themselves out of their troubled waters is another matter, but they’re worth rooting for in this complex, compelling drama.

___

Online:

http://www.roundabouttheatre.org

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 07:52:10 am »

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20364394_20631002,00.html

Stage Review
EW's GRADE
       B
If There Is
I Haven't Found It Yet

Reviewed by Thom Geier
Originally posted Sep 20, 2012

Annie Funke and Jake Gyllenhaal

Just about everything in British playwright Nick Payne's If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet  is topical: There's a bullied plus-size 15-year-old named Anna (Annie Funke). Her clueless dad, George (Mildred Pierce 's Brían F. O'Byrne), is a global-warming obsessive writing a book about the carbon footprint of everyday living. Her teacher mother, Fiona (Michelle Gomez), is distracted by her own mom's descent into Alzheimer's. And then there's Anna's ne'er-do-well uncle [Terry], whose chief claim to our attention may be the fact that he's played by Jake Gyllenhaal (in his New York stage debut). It's a suitably recessive role for the young movie star, who nails the slackerly aloofness (and British accent), if not the undercurrents of anger that would lead him to trash a romantic rival's car.

Director Michael Longhurst works overtime to make Payne's symbolism as literal as possible. There's a vast pool of water at the front edge of the stage at the Roundabout's Off Broadway Laura Pels Theatre into which the actors toss furniture and props as the play progresses, detritus meant to evoke the rising tides from melting polar ice caps. The climax offers a striking bit of stagecraft, but one that threatens to overwhelm the slender banks of Payne's story and the modest trajectories of his characters, so blinkered by their private fixations that they often fail to see the big picture. B

Details

Opening Date: Sep 20, 2012;
Lead Performances: Annie Funke, Michelle Gomez, Jake Gyllenhaal and Brian F. O'Byrne;
Director: Michael Longhurst;
Genre: Drama

(Tickets: roundabouttheatre.org)

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 10:28:12 pm »

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/theatre/2012/10/01/121001crth_theatre_lahr

The Theatre

Ties that Blind
by John Lahr

“If There Is I Haven’t Found It Yet.”

Illustration by http://paulthurlby.com/

(....)

When they are both called to account, the indictment comes from George's deadhead younger brother, Terry (Jake Gyllenhaal), who returns from a year and a half of wanderlust to crash at their house, and forms a friendship with Anna. "That girl has been criminally fucking neglected!" Terry shouts.

As Gyllenhall superbly plays him, Terry is a bearded, feral soul, who sidles into view in a gray knit cap and a yellow T-shirt, at once heartbroken and hapless. "I, I. I fuck things up. And it makes me mad," he says. He's full of good intentions and bad advice. (He suggests to Anna that she tells her school tormentor "that if she gives you any more grief, I'll be taking shit on her doorstep for the next month and a half.") He can't mobilize thought; he is cluless--a state that is betrayed by his syntax. His sentences, like his life, have no direction or resolution. "Prb'ly shoulda rung or something, but," he says when he sees Anna (whom he addresses as "Hannah") for the first time. "Phone was fucked and I thought, by the time I've arsed around getting change for the fucking. You know the phone, and that, thought I might as well just."

(....)

Gyllenhaal parses every piquant note of Terry's paradoxical nature, keeping his danger and his decency in balance. In his unboundaried moments, Terry offers Anna beer, condoms, and a joint, and lets her slip out on a date, At other times, he seems to have a more adult purchase on reality. "What's y'daughter's favorite subject, George?" he asks his brother. "What's her favorite meal? Favorite film, favorite band. Any of it. Stab in the dark, George. Need to think about what y'doing."

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 01:13:59 am »