Author Topic: Nick Payne's IF THERE IS I HAVEN’T FOUND IT YET with Jake Gyllenhaal  (Read 26566 times)

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
Re: Nick Payne's IF THERE IS I HAVEN’T FOUND IT YET with Jake Gyllenhaal
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 02:01:21 am »
Very nice, pic.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 04:03:50 pm »

Nice caricature of Jake.  8)

Very nice, pic.

Caricature?? Stylized, yes, but I think it's a pretty good portrait,  myself!

Good job, artist and  photographer!

:) :)

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline oilgun

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 07:28:59 pm »
His Nick Payne related to Nikki Payne?  :laugh:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keljDWtnBVU&feature=fvwrel[/youtube]

Offline Sophia

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 07:11:07 am »

Caricature?? Stylized, yes, but I think it's a pretty good portrait,  myself!

Good job, artist and  photographer!

:) :)

Oh Sweet John, thank you so much. I´m glad I got able to take so many photos as I did, but I must say the caricature is amazing.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 01:52:49 pm »

:D :D

New York Magazine  is running this on the front page of their site!

THE WEEKEND AGENDA

Not So Lost
In If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet
Jake Gyllenhaal is an actor of innate instinct.

8) 8)

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 05:25:31 pm »

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/164154/squigs-pens-a-portrait-of-if-there-is-star-jake-gyllenhaal-his-dysfunctional-onstage-family/

Squigs
Pens a Portrait of If There Is  Star
Jake Gyllenhaal
& His Dysfunctional Onstage Family

By Broadway.com Staff
September 20, 2012 - 12:19PM

Academy Award nominee Jake Gyllenhaal is hitting the U.S. stage for the very first time in Nick Payne’s dark family comedy, If There Is I Haven’t Found It Yet.  Set in rainy London, the new play tells the story of Anna (played by Annie Funke), an overweight 15-year-old who, after getting no support from her preoccupied parents (Brian F. O’Byrne and Michelle Gomez), develops an unlikely friendship with her wild Uncle Terry (Gyllenhaal). Broadway.com resident artist Justin “Squigs” Robinson took a seat at off-Broadway’s Laura Pels Theatre to watch the story unfold, then sketched a wistful family portrait of (from l.) O’Byrne, Funke, Gyllenhaal and Gomez. Check out Squigs’ latest masterpiece, then see the Roundabout Theatre Company production in a limited engagement through November 25!

About the Artist: With a desire to celebrate the magic of live theater and those who create it, and with a deep reverence for such touchstones as the work of Al Hirschfeld and the wall at Sardi’s, Squigs is happy and grateful to be among those carrying on the traditions where theater and caricature meet. He was born and raised in Oregon, lived in Los Angeles for quite a long time and now calls New York City his home.

Also posted in the Brokie Social Events (members only) thread: 9/2012 NYC Gathering: "If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet" with Jake Gyllenhaal!
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,49867.msg638785/topicseen.html#msg638785

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 09:34:51 pm »

Here's a latecomer to the feast--

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carey-purcell/if-there-is-i-havent-found-it-yet_b_1917567.html

Jake Gyllenhaal
Finds Himself Off-Broadway:
If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet

By Carey Purcell
www.twitter.com/careypurcell
Posted: 10/01/2012 5:41 pm

Teenage bullying and global warming have both received a great deal of attention in the media lately, but one wonders if they have ever been combined into one story. Bringing the two together in one play is even more unusual, but that is exactly what is done in If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet,  the well-meaning but heavy-handed play by Nick Payne, currently playing at the Laura Pels Theater. Starring Jake Gyllenhaal in an impressive New York stage debut, Payne's story of a dysfunctional family is moving but a bit over-saturated -- in more ways than one.

Anna (Annie Funke, outstanding) is an overweight teenage girl bullied at her school because of her weight and her mother's place on the administration. Her mother Fiona (Michelle Gomez) is overworked and overtired, and unable to give her daughter the attention she needs. Her father, George (Brian F. O'Byrne) is obsessed with climate change and writing a book on how to save the earth and unable to pay his wife or daughter any attention.

It is clear this family is sinking, but not until George's wandering, ne'er do well brother Terry (Gyllenhaal) appears for an unexpected visit that they realize just how deep of a mess they are in. Sporting an authentic working class British accent, Gyllenhaal gives Terry a charmingly well-meaning, slightly bewildered manner that juxtaposes George's buttoned-up professor personality in a very entertaining way. On paper it would be difficult to believe these two are related but this duo of talented actors give them an authentic connection. (As George expounds on his book and how he hopes it will change the world, Terry interrupts with the question, "What's the carbon footprint of a joint?" George does not laugh.)

After Anna is suspended from school for fighting with a student, Terry becomes her de facto guardian for a few weeks and actually pays some attention to the lonely teenager. While the relationship between the two hedges on awkwardly sexual at times, it is also sincere and Terry clearly cares about Anna in his own confused way. Sadly, the relationship between George and Fiona is not nearly as simple. As Fiona, Gomez depicts the weary resignation of an exhausted working wife and mother almost too well; her performance borders on frighteningly authentic. O'Byrne has much less to work with as George, as the character seems to be more a collection of stereotypes about absent-minded professors. But he gives the performance every dimension it can be given, especially in the scenes between himself and Gomez.

Much of Payne's script is written in either sentence fragments or swear words -- in other words, the kind of modern dialogue one hears on the subway or in the streets. It is what is not said between the characters that shows what is actually happening in their home. Even Anna has already learned to be silent and sad and as her sadness increases, so does her self-destruction. Funke is excellent as Anna, giving a realistic and honest portrayal of a suffering teenager. Funke is not afraid to depict the uncomfortable and there were a few moments that I had to look away from the stage because I was so upset by what was happening on it.

The staging of If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet  offers a unique visualization of the show's message. A curtain of water falls in front of the set into a river or moat that surrounds the stage. All of the props are assembled in a pile, center stage, which the actors select for their scene and then toss into the river after the scene has ended. Following one particularly disturbing scene, water floods the stage, rising up to the actor's ankles and forcing them to slosh through the last few scenes of the play. While there are several interpretations of the water's symbolism -- not only could it represent global warming but also the way this family is drowning in their sorrows or even the cleansing effects of water symbolizing a rebirth of this fragmented family -- one has to question if it was actually necessary or if the play could have stood on its own. (In its original production in London, the water was not used.)

Even though some meanings of the play were not quite clear -- the title, for example -- it is a poignant and powerful show with an especially strong cast. One hopes to see all of them, including Gyllenhaal, in more stage productions soon.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 08:16:00 am »

Again, this is something I had not
seen before--a good introduction
to the play and the (original) cast:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6lvNylfbnU[/youtube]
Published on Oct 5, 2012 by theatermania

Jake Gyllenhaal's New York stage debut in If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet  brings out Jessica Chastain, Tony Roberts, Rachel York and more.

If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet  centers on bullied 15-year-old Anna (played by Annie Funke), whose unexpected friendship with her estranged uncle Terry (played by Oscar nominee Jake Gyllenhaal) sends her parents' rocky marriage into a tailspin. The cast also features Michelle Gomez and Brian F. O'Byrne.

Guests at the opening night performance included The Heiress  stars Jessica Chastain and Dan Stevens, Jessica and Jerry Seinfeld, singer Marcus Mumford, actors F. Murray Abraham, Jack Davenport, Janine DiVita, Heather Goldenhersh, Jessica Hecht, Amy Irving, Michael Pena, and Rachel York; playwrights John Guare, Stephen Karam, Terrence McNally, Marsha Norman, and Theresa Rebeck; and directors Kenneth Bowser, Michael Mayer, and Lonny Price.

For more information, visit Theatermania.com:

http://www.theatermania.com/off-broadway/shows/if-there-is-i-havent-found-it-yet_191243/

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 01:12:19 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 08:33:00 am »

Months ago, Teresa managed to get me a last ticket when we all thought November 25 was going to be Jake's finale to If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet-- well, after a two week break, the play will continue for two more weeks, but it was my  finale for this run of the play. Glad I saw it again--thanks, Teresa!

"Camping Out"

Offline Sophia

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 09:57:22 am »

Months ago, Teresa managed to get me a last ticket when we all thought November 25 was going to be Jake's finale to If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet-- well, after a two week break, the play will continue for two more weeks, but it was my  finale for this run of the play. Glad I saw it again--thanks, Teresa!

Did you discover something new in the play?

Did you enjoy the new Fiona as well?