Author Topic: It's National Coming Out Day!  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
It's National Coming Out Day!
« on: October 11, 2006, 10:18:03 am »
It's here!  It's National Coming Out Day!

This year's theme is "Talk About It."

It's well known that straight people who personally know a GLBT person are more likely to support our struggle for full equality.  Visibility really does make a difference. 

To my GLBT brethren -- and yes, 'brethren' includes lesbians! -- let's all come out to at least one more person today.  We could tell an acquaintance or wear a Rainbow pin or pink triangle or relevant T-shirt.  Should a stranger be kind to us, simply say "You were kind to a gay (or lesbian or bisexual or whatever) person today."

To the non-gay Bettermost members, you can join in too.  Raise the topic with someone you know, or call up a GLBT friend and congratulate them, or contribute to any number of organizations that are working for a future in which GLBT citizens are welcomed and respected as equals.

Hooray! It's National Coming Out Day!

If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Ang, Jake, and Anne in Human Rights Campaign video
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 02:50:47 pm »
I'll just post the whole url and hope you can cut and paste it into your browser.

Lots of other people are in it, as well, but there is a BBM clip, and Anne talks about her brother.

http://a4.g.akamai.net/f/4/19675/0/newmill.download.akamai.com/19677/anon.newmediamill/comingout/2006/finecut.mp4

Edit: and the "Talk About It" photo gallery: http://www.hrcsnapshot.org/
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 02:57:46 pm by nakymaton »
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Andrew

Re: It's National Coming Out Day!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 07:01:35 pm »
Here's the link to the same Human Rights Campaign video on youtube, in case that's simpler for anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Qep_w6GBE

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 01:01:46 am »
Tuesday night at my school (a small liberal arts college), in honor of National Coming Out Day, we had a guest speaker. Has anyone heard of Shane Windmeyer? He's written books about being out in college, specifically in Greek organizations. He was a really good speaker, very funny and engaging. He talked about coming out to his fraternity brothers. (They were more accepting than his family at first, which I thought was interesting.) It made me want to read his books, but unfortunately I won't have time to read anything that's not for school anytime soon. In case anyone wants to know, two of his books are 'Out on Fraternity Row' and 'Secret Sisters.'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 07:13:20 am »
Thanks for sharing this, Courtney. I am not familiar with Shane, but the books and his experience sound interesting. My son is a freshman so I am interested in all things college, these days. LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!