Author Topic: New slide show about the BBM marketing campaign  (Read 3907 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
New slide show about the BBM marketing campaign
« on: November 24, 2012, 07:34:23 pm »
For those of you who haven't already seen it, here is Focus Feature's slide show about how they promoted BBM.
It's very interesting. Make sure to watch the videos in it.

Thanks to BayCityJohn who first posted it.

http://prezi.com/bh2erhsxahy1/brokeback-mountain-marketing-campaign/

I can't find a way to make the site show up in the post, hence only the link.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: New slide show about the BBM marketing campaign
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 05:58:02 am »
I also can't find a way to have at least one pic of it here, since the whole thing is in a flash player.

But it's well worth it, there are pictures along with explanations, and a short interview with James Schamus. Nothing new, but he's so cute explaining well-known stuff (well-known to us at least). The trailer is also part of it and I rewatched it after a long, long time. Neat! :D

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 12:40:32 pm »
Thanks for posting this, Sonja. Very entertaining!

I'm happy to say that I think some of the text already sounds a little quaint. Just before I turned here, I watched a touching commercial supporting same-sex marriage, narrated by Morgan Freeman -- i.e., God and other voices of supreme authority. In contrast to that, hearing and seeing how they had to keep the work under wraps because of its "controversial subject," or didn't want to market too strongly to the LGBT community for fear of being "labeled a film that advocates gay rights" seems like it's from another era.

Some day concerns like that will seem on the order of having to struggle to get Rhett Butler's final "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn" into Gone With the Wind.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 03:50:49 pm »
Watched the whole thing too. Was somewhat surprised by the U.S. focus of initiatives (beyond the international Venice and Toronto film festivals). Our film did garner international recognition and big international $$$ too.

Some day concerns like that will seem on the order of having to struggle to get Rhett Butler's final "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn" into Gone With the Wind.

That's pretty much what I was saying in those first years of BetterMost (only 5 - 6 years ago) about marriage rights, gays in the military, the death penalty, HIV discrimination. Thank God most of these things didn't take a couple of decades to resolve themselves, as I had anticipated.

On the contrary, we in Canada have elected a conservative government (over and over gain) since then and now are putting even more people in jail for simple pot possession, among the many idealogy based (as opposed to scientific bases) initiatives.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 07:16:15 pm »
Thanks for posting this, Sonja; I hadn't seen it before.  It was nice to be reminded of all those early-on events and see the longer version of the trailer.  Hard to believe we'll soon be celebrating seven years of Brokeback on film!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 02:14:32 pm »
I'm glad y'all liked it!  :)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 05:06:28 pm »
What I thought was most interesting about the marketing campaign was the addition of the Share Your Story application on the movie's website. Not only did this application provide FOCUS with real-life material to use in continuing to market the film, but it also helped to create product (if not brand) loyalty. Moreover, I can imagine that there were people who read those stories, and then decided to see the film. 

Socially speaking, I would say that FOCUS did the public a service by providing the Share Your Story application. I read dozens of the stories there myself. They were written by men (mostly) and women from all walks of life, and sexual orientations. Many were written by men & women who had experienced same-sex attraction in their pasts, and wound up with a heterosexual orientation. Its a testament to how fluid sexual orientation and attraction can be.

Unfortunately, the application appears to be gone. The link takes you to a video of some psychic.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 07:27:13 pm »
Milo, good to hear from you.  It's been a while, or maybe you're just on different threads than me.

I haven't checked out this video yet, but will soon.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 01:30:08 am »
Milo, good to hear from you.  It's been a while, or maybe you're just on different threads than me.

I haven't checked out this video yet, but will soon.

I've been keeping a low profile, and singing lots of concerts.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.