Author Topic: Walmart Hit by Brokeback Protest  (Read 7557 times)

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
Walmart Hit by Brokeback Protest
« on: April 04, 2006, 04:17:14 pm »
From imdb:

Wal-Mart Hit by 'Brokeback' Protest

Wal-Mart has turned aside a massive letter-writing campaign by the American Family Association urging the retailer to refuse to stock Brokeback Mountain, being distributed by Universal Home Entertainment. The group, which has successfully campaigned against what it considers to be broadcast indecency launched the campaign last week after ads for the film began being displayed prominently in the retailer's 3,900 stores. In an interview with today's (Tuesday) Los Angeles Times, the AFA's Randy Sharp, accused Wal-Mart of helping to push the "gay agenda" by "trying to help normalize homosexuality in society." He added, "But how many copies are they going to have to sell to [recoup] the losses of customers who they've offended and will no longer shop at Wal-Mart?" But a Wal-Mart spokeswoman replied, "The fact that we are offering the movie is not an endorsement of the content of the movie or any specific belief. ...We simply offer the latest titles that consumers want."

p.s. the afa is a nazi-esque organization and has failed several attempts to intimidate major organizations for promoting equality, most recently their failed boycott of ford for advertising in gay publications.  in other words, it's just free press, the only threat here is to the afa making themselves look like even bigger idiots, as if that were possible.   ::)
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Walmart Hit by Brokeback Protest
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 04:25:55 pm »
I can't believe it. I'm sure the American Family Association didn't protest or say anything when Walmart decided to sell films like Bruce Willis' extremely violent movies such as Die Hard trilogy or Steven Seagal's Under Siege, just to name a few.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline littledarlin

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 04:27:31 pm »
I can't believe it. I'm sure the American Family Association didn't protest or say anything when Walmart decided to sell films like Bruce Willis' extremely violent movies such as Die Hard trilogy or Steven Seagal's Under Siege, just to name a few.

Not only that, but that they are trying to normalize murder...  It's such a stupid unfounded argument.  I really don't like the afa lol

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 04:31:34 pm »
and where was their protest when Walmart made anti family policies when they cut back work hours and full-time employment, so workers and their family wouldn't quality for medical and dental benefits?
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 04:56:50 pm »
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

All I can say is.....Only in America! I mean I can't see people over here in England writing letters to Woolworths just because they are selling a certain DVD. I would have to say this is probably the one time in my life that I will say this, but I am actually proud of my country and happy to be living here! ;D
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 05:40:00 pm »
What really scares me is that small ignorant groups like this can manage to raise money for their efforts.     

This week a new Reality show debuted that paired up ultra rich kids with dirt poor kids.   One of the Rich kids was the daughter of Rev. Sun yun Moon, worth $989 million dollars.    You'd think when people knew the kind of money these people have that they'd have trouble getting donations for their causes.

The AFA should spend their time and money more constructively.    Senior citizens struggle every day to make ends meet.  And with the rest of us facing a future with disappearing pensions or benefits left, we're all going to be in the same boat.

I can remember a time when churches had bake sales to raise money for good causes, not planning picketing events.  Don't even get me started on Fred Phelps and his so-called Church!   >:(

Offline RingerFanatic

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 07:54:02 pm »
I'm wondering what "Family" the AFA is suppose to be representing. Sounds to me like it's the Manson Family!! But then again, even the Manson family were open-minded about gays...AFA is worse than the Manson Family! LOL

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 08:00:11 pm »
Isn't the AFA the same clowns who sent those two reps to appear on Larry King Live on CNN and that crazy lady said that young girl who called in and said she was happy with her gay dad couldn't possibly be?

Nutso.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 08:05:19 pm »
yes. i remember that freaky plastic face woman. yikes.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 09:10:04 pm »
Ok let me just make sure I got this....

Two men falling in love (which happens everyday btw) is immoral......but a woman and a monkey falling in love is just fine!  Hmmmm.....umm.....sure......ok.......whatever! 

::)

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 09:20:10 pm »
Great points, Chris and Starbie. I do think it's very funny that Walmart refuses to sell certain albums over so-called morals and values, but when it suits their pocketbooks, they get all inconsistent and say it's because it is what they customers want.

By the way Chris, love the new double avatars! Glad somebody brought that up again about the "echoes" in the BBM poster. Even though cinematically I hardly think the two films are comparable, the posters are immensely so.
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 09:22:04 pm »
Thanks Jenny,

Yeah I thought is was pretty cool......i'm a Titanic film (one of those people that saw it 9 times in the theater) but I agree its nothing in comparison to BBM...

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 09:38:53 pm »
All I can say is.....Only in America! I mean I can't see people over here in England writing letters to Woolworths just because they are selling a certain DVD. I would have to say this is probably the one time in my life that I will say this, but I am actually proud of my country and happy to be living here! ;D

Becks, I agree with you for the most part, but don't forget about the thousands and thousands of Christians who protested against the BBC showing Jerry Springer the Opera last year.  They mounted a massive campaign, got bucket-loads of attention, several high-ranking employees of the Beeb resigned in protest, and generally caused an enormous hoopla.

It ain't pretty.  I was ashamed.  But at least the BBC governors had the balls to stick to their guns.  That I was proud of.

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 10:19:27 pm »
"But how many copies are they going to have to sell to [recoup] the losses of customers who they've offended and will no longer shop at Wal-Mart?"

LMAO! Who are they kidding? People that shop heavily at WalMart wouldn't shop somewhere else even if they found out Sam Walton himself wrote the commandments of the "gay agenda". All they care about is saving money - or, rather the illusion of it, LOL.
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline littledarlin

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 10:39:42 pm »
LMAO! Who are they kidding? People that shop heavily at WalMart wouldn't shop somewhere else even if they found out Sam Walton himself wrote the commandments of the "gay agenda". All they care about is saving money - or, rather the illusion of it, LOL.

you got that right!  i don't know anyone who shops at walmart that actually likes shopping there and doesn't leave feeling guilty.  they do it for convenience and supposed savings. 

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 10:45:35 pm »
The AFA can go fuck themselves. Now I know I don't know any one person from there -- at least, to my knowledge -- but their beliefs are hypocritical, unfair, narrow-minded, and worthless.  ;)

Okay, slayers/Chris, it is beyond weird that you have those posters as your avator. I started watching Titanic today (I have the VHS copy) specifically for the ending ("Come back, come back, come back...") -- which is actually a BBM-related story because the other night, the passage from the book "If you can't fix it, you've got to stand it" was haunting my mind and I lied on my pillow as I fell asleep, lying on my side right? For some reason, I saw Kate Winslet in my head lying on the door because she, in that scene, was lying on her side, crying, like I was on my bed. So then I got the urge to watch it (and then started crying, thanks to Brokeback, and I never used to cry in Titanic... until I saw BBM, that is...).

And today, I looked at the box of Titanic and I noticed how similar it is to the BBM cover. They're not the exact same but if one of the pictures was flipped around and manipulated a tad, the stars on each poster would be in the same positioning. So it's just very ironic that you posted that...

www.jlodown.com
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 10:47:34 pm »
The AFA can go fuck themselves. Now I know I don't know any one person from there -- at least, to my knowledge -- but their beliefs are hypocritical, unfair, narrow-minded, and worthless.  ;)

Okay, slayers/Chris, it is beyond weird that you have those posters as your avator. I started watching Titanic today (I have the VHS copy) specifically for the ending ("Come back, come back, come back...") -- which is actually a BBM-related story because the other night, the passage from the book "If you can't fix it, you've got to stand it" was haunting my mind and I lied on my pillow as I fell asleep, lying on my side right? For some reason, I saw Kate Winslet in my head lying on the door because she, in that scene, was lying on her side, crying, like I was on my bed. So then I got the urge to watch it (and then started crying, thanks to Brokeback, and I never used to cry in Titanic... until I saw BBM, that is...).

And today, I looked at the box of Titanic and I noticed how similar it is to the BBM cover. They're not the exact same but if one of the pictures was flipped around and manipulated a tad, the stars on each poster would be in the same positioning. So it's just very ironic that you posted that...

www.jlodown.com

LOL....I'm a Titanic fan and a Brokeback fan....came across that and thought 'bad ass!'

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 10:49:36 pm »
Well if Titanic got 1 thing right it's the love between Jack and Rose.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 10:51:54 pm »
LOL.....Titanic got a lot of things right IMO...

Except for that dialogue.....LOL

EnnisDelMar

lol
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 10:52:39 pm »
You unimaginable bastard! LMAO

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 10:53:33 pm »
ROFLMFAO!