Author Topic: 50th Anniversary of the Thresher Disaster  (Read 5321 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
50th Anniversary of the Thresher Disaster
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:20:12 am »
We all know Jack and Ennis talked about the Thresher submarine disaster while they sat around the campfire, having "a high-time supper." April 10th is the 50th anniversary of its sinking. It was built just down the road from me at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. Lots of events planned to honor the 129 men who died. I thought folks might be interested in this article:

http://www.pressherald.com/news/thresher_2013-03-31.html

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: 50th Anniversary of the Thresher Disaster
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 02:38:51 pm »
I came across this while reading more about the sinking of the Thresher earlier today. I thought others here might find it of interest:

Titanic search was cover for secret Cold War subs mission

The man who located the wreck of the Titanic has revealed that the discovery was a cover story to camouflage the real mission of inspecting the wrecks of two Cold War nuclear submarines.

When Bob Ballard led a team that pinpointed the wreckage of the liner in 1985 he had already completed his main task of finding out what happened to USS Thresher and USS Scorpion.

Both of the United States Navy vessels sank during the 1960s, killing more than 200 men and giving rise to fears that at least one of them, Scorpion, had been sunk by the USSR.

Dr Ballard, an oceanographer, has admitted that he located and inspected the wrecks for the US Navy in top secret missions before he was allowed to search for the Titanic.

Dr Ballard said what he had seen during the inspection of the wrecks gave him the idea of finding a trail of debris that would lead to the main sections of the Titanic. Thresher, had imploded deep beneath the surface and had broken up into thousands of pieces and Scorpion was almost as completely destroyed. “It was as though it had been put through a shredding machine. There was a long debris trail.” Dr Ballard developed a robotic submarine craft in the early 1980s and approached the US Navy in 1982 for funding to search for the Titanic, which sank in 1912 with the loss of 1,500 lives after hitting an iceberg.

He was told that the military were not willing to spend a fortune on locating the liner, but they did want to know what had happened to their submarines.The military were anxious to know how the nuclear reactors had been affected by being submerged for so long.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 04:30:43 pm »
Thanks, Leslie, and chowhound. 

There was a memorial held in Kittery, Maine yesterday.

On April 7, 2013 the 50th anniversary of the loss of the Thresher, the Town of Kittery, Maine held ceremonies at the Kittery Memorial Circle to dedicate a 129 foot flagpole erected to honor the 129 lost souls that died on the Thresher. Kittery also plans a Thresher monument in Memorial Park at the entrance to the new Memorial Bridge (completed in mid 2013). Hundreds of townspeople, politicians, and families of the lost sailors and civilian crew turned out for the ceremony which was held under a sunny early Spring sky. As the 30' flag was raised it reached the half-way point when a brisk wind picked up and the flag took on a life of its own. The scene was like something out of Hollywood, but this scene was scripted by god. No one in the crowd of near one thousand could have missed the significance of that sudden breeze. It lifted the enormous flag which opened and began an endless wave, curling in upon itself and out again, and again. The people who were there this early spring morning will have memories of the words and images of this event for a lifetime, and will pass them on in oral histories to other generations, as is common to this very old and small seacoast town in Maine. (~wiki)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:35:28 pm »
I can just imagine...thanks for that moving report!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 04:40:29 pm »
Sinking of sub Thresher still wounds, 50 years later
By Brian MacQuarrie |  Globe Staff     April 07, 2013

Barbara Currier, 86, of Exeter, N.H., lost her husband, Paul, who was a civilian machinist aboard the USS Thresher on April 10, 1963.

On that spring day 50 years ago, Barbara Currier of Exeter, N.H., busied herself with errands and brought two of her children to a downtown department store.

Her husband, Paul Currier, 40, was a civilian machinist on the USS Thresher, the world’s most advanced nuclear submarine, which had left the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard the previous day for diving tests more than 200 miles off Cape Cod.

The morning of April 10, 1963, was expected to be another round of rigorous but routine sea trials for the pride of the nation’s sub fleet. But what happened would jolt the nation: the worst submarine disaster in US history; the loss of all 129 crew, officers, and civilians on board; and a stinging blow to the American military at the hair-trigger height of the Cold War.

As the 278-foot-long Thresher began its descent that morning, only six months after the Cuban Missile Crisis, the unthinkable happened.

A pipe burst, electrical circuits shorted, nuclear propulsion shut down, and sailors on the USS Skylark, a trailing Navy ship, received these words from below: “Exceeding test depth.”

They heard little else from the crew, and the Thresher plunged more than a mile to the bottom of the North Atlantic. The Skylark, however, did hear the submarine’s death rattle: ominous hissing and groaning that preceded a devastating implosion that killed everyone on board within seconds.

“It seems just like yesterday to me,” 86-year-old Barbara Currier said from the same home where two Navy officers told her of the Thresher’s fate.

To help ensure that day is not forgotten, a memorial service was held Saturday at Portsmouth High School to commemorate the sacrifice of Currier and the other men who died. Organizers said about 1,200 people attended, including 76 former Thresher crew members and relatives of the lost.

“We are trying to create a sense of support and community for these families. We make sure they feel welcome,” said Kevin Galeaz, commander of Thresher Base, a local chapter of the United States Submarine Veterans.

On Sunday, a 129-foot flagpole — one foot for each person lost — is scheduled to be dedicated in Kittery, Maine, where the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard is located.

The sudden loss of the Thresher, a fast-attack submarine designed to find and sink its Soviet counterparts, stunned the Navy. But the tragedy led directly to a rigorous reexamination of US submarine safety that is credited with preventing similar accidents.

“The Navy had an introspection,” said Galeaz, a veteran of the submarine service. “Not only did they do an inquiry, but they changed everything: quality control, inspections — everything changed. And that’s literally because of these guys on the Thresher.”

The remains of the disintegrated Thresher were discovered in 1985 by oceanographer Robert Ballard, who received secret funding from the Navy to search for the submarine while traveling to his publicly announced goal, the wreck of the RMS Titanic, which he also found on the voyage.

To Currier, who never remarried, her husband of 10 years and the men who died with him are heroes. “He was asked to go out on the sea trials and, of course, you say yes when it’s your job,” she said.

The day after the Thresher put to sea, Currier was shopping with two daughters, 6 and 8, when she heard a radio bulletin that a submarine was overdue. “I said, ‘We’ve got to go home; I’ve got to listen to the radio.’ I knew somebody would be trying to get in touch with me,” Currier recalled. “The Navy Yard called me almost as soon as I got home to tell me it was overdue. But, of course, everybody was hoping that they would hear something from them overnight.

“The next day, two naval officers came to my house and told me they had concluded it was lost with all hands, no survivors,” Currier added. “I said to myself, ‘Oh my God, what do I do now without him?’ ”

Annual memorial services have helped, said Currier, who planned to attend her 48th on Saturday. However, she added, the publicity for the 50th anniversary — several interviews and a documentary — has made the tragedy more vivid.

“This year it’s been tough, but I don’t dwell on it because you can’t,” Currier said. “Life is for the living. You have to go on.”

Still, she added, the life-changing pain of that day is never far away.

“Maybe it’s because I had five children, and I’ve tried to keep their father alive for them, and because he was the love of my life,” Currier said.

Like yesterday, as she said. Fifty long years later.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 04:53:41 pm »
Here's the paragraph in the short story, just to refresh our memories:

They had a high-time supper by the fire, a can of beans each, fried potatoes and a quart of whiskey on shares, sat with their backs against a log, boot soles and copper jeans rivets hot, swapping the bottle while the lavender sky emptied of color and the chill air drained down, drinking, smoking cigarettes, getting up every now and then to piss, firelight throwing a sparkle in the arched stream, tossing sticks on the fire to keep the talk going, talking horses and rodeo, roughstock events, wrecks and injuries sustained, the submarine Thresher lost two months earlier with all hands and how it must have been in the last doomed minutes, dogs each had owned and known, the draft, Jack's home ranch where his father and mother held on, Ennis's family place folded years ago after his folks died, the older brother in Signal and a married sister in Casper. Jack said his father had been a pretty well known bullrider years back but kept his secrets to himself, never gave Jack a word of advice, never came once to see Jack ride, though he had put him on the woolies when he was a little kid. Ennis said the kind of riding that interested him lasted longer than eight seconds and had some point to it. Money's a good point, said Jack, and Ennis had to agree. They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected. Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Online Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 05:03:45 pm »
So many well known quotes, just in that little paragraph!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 11:14:59 am »
OK so this is weird, I am going to go have lunch in a minute with a friend of mine whose birthday it is today and also the anniversary of the Thresher sinking and I had told her about it and went to print out the wikipedia article and discovered it was commissioned on the day I was born, two years prior to the event.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 11:42:26 am »
That is a weird coincidence, Tru! Let us know of others...this could be a sequel to the uncanny Lincoln/Kennedy date coincidences.

The quote above is featured in a study of how to write a good long sentence:

http://www.poynter.org/how-tos/newsgathering-storytelling/writing-tools/78942/master-the-long-sentence/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 11:47:46 am »
Of course, the first thing that pops up in Search when you google the Thresher sentence is our own "The Hidden Ocean" topic!