Author Topic: Casting Ennis...  (Read 3936 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Casting Ennis...
« on: July 04, 2013, 08:35:01 pm »
It's interesting to realize that the Brokie community and conversations have gone on so long, that I'm actually forgetting some of the old trivia, facts, details, etc. that used to be part of some of the most intensive days of Brokie fever discussions.

Can someone here remind me which other actors were considered for the role of Ennis?  I remember it was a long process.  I just saw a commercial for a re-airing of Matt Damon's old movie All the Pretty Horses, and I thought wow... he really could have been an Ennis contender.  And now I can't remember if he really was one of the actors being considered.

*hangs head in Brokie embarrassment*
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Casting Ennis...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 09:50:35 am »
I remember that there was some discussion of Mark Walberg being considered, but he couldn't get past the "gay thing". However I have also seen Diana Ossana post on facebook that he was never considered for the roll.

I always thought they should have got John Malcovich for Ennis and Steve Buschemi for Jack.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 10:32:56 am »
Matt Damon was also considered for the role at some point. He had been quoted as saying that he didn't want to do another gay character on the back of Mr Ripley. I would think that it would have been in colaboration with Gus Van Sant since they have done movies together

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 10:48:43 am »
Matt Damon was also considered for the role at some point. He had been quoted as saying that he didn't want to do another gay character on the back of Mr Ripley. I would think that it would have been in colaboration with Gus Van Sant since they have done movies together

Yup, that's how I remember it, too.
GVS was in the talk to make our movie, and he also considered Joaquin Phoenix for one of the lead roles.

What I do remember is how Heath got the role: Diana Ossana showing McMurtry Monster's Ball, and him saying "This young man is Ennis." And that was that. It's in the essay by Diana Ossana in the STS book. :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 10:52:42 am »
From IMDB:

Among the actors considered for the male leads were Josh Hartnett, Colin Farrell, Matt Damon, Billy Crudup, and Ben Affleck.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt was considered for the role of Ennis, having starred in Latter Days and Mysterious Skin; and being closer in age to Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Williams.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 10:58:39 am »
Listal lists quite a few actors who were supposedly considered.

Also, on the imdb trivia page, it says:

Joseph Fiennes loved the project so much that he met with three different directors attached at various times about starring in the film.
Among the actors considered for the male leads were Josh Hartnett, Colin Farrell, Matt Damon, Billy Crudup, and Ben Affleck.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt was considered for the role of Ennis, having starred in Latter Days and Mysterious Skin; and being closer in age to Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Williams.

And here's where we mused about who was considered and who we would consider: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,18983.0/all.html
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 03:56:40 pm »

Thanks Buds!  :)

I think Matt Damon could have done a good job (Heath was perfect of course... but I'm just thinking hypothetically... if it had to be a different actor).  From the imdb list... it would have been super interesting if it had been Damon and Affleck (even through I really don't like Ben Affleck) together especially given their long friendship.  Could have produced some interesting chemistry maybe.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 04:55:03 pm »
I´ve heard (or most likely read somewhere) that Joaquin Phoenix was up for the role of Jack Twist. I think Phoenix is an interesting actor and I think that his Jack Twist would have been a very different character from the one we know. There is something innocent and...timeless that Jake managed to capture, something I doubt that Phoenix would have brought to the table.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 05:45:42 pm »
I believe part of the reason why both roles were perfectly cast is because both Jake and Heath NEEDED a role like that and were just almost ready to step into such a challenging role. Heath said he would fly to Taiwan to meet with Ang if necessary to be considered.

A related observation: is there any high-paying rewarding job easier than that of casting director? I've always thought it would be easy and fun to be one, but hindsight is 20/20, I guess.
"chewing gum and duct tape"