Author Topic: What is your take on the BBM phenomenon  (Read 22399 times)

Offline B.W.

• Don't Say Much
What is your take on the BBM phenomenon
« on: July 18, 2013, 01:05:19 pm »
What is your take on the BBM phenomenon and what it says about the power of this story?

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: What is your take on the BBM phenomenon
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 01:57:39 pm »
For me, there is a lot of punch in the timing of its telling and the time period it was set in. It serves as an acknowledgement of same sex love not being a new thing, or a fad, but an ongoing, at time repressed aspect of humanity. The repression there of created a tremendous amount of grief, and the story is a catharsis of that grief.

Proulx said the characters became very real for her, as it did for a lot of people. They are real. They are us.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 10:26:01 pm »
I like the way you said that Tru!
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 08:44:33 am »
I like the way you said that Tru!

I agree, very well said!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 03:35:03 am »
For me I will always remember BBM was the leading edge of my person activisism.

TT
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 11:37:46 am »
Has anyone else gone through this?:  I just cannot watch BBM any more.  I went through a long period when I watched it every day, then almost every day, and always cried at the end.  Then I discovered BBM Radio and began listening to it all the time, crying through the songs that reminded me of the film.  Then I got the short story and it got worse.  I would read the story and then watch the movie--double the crying.  Now I was like everyone else here, I could quote from memory every line from the movie or film.  I saw new things every time I watched and read, and learned about new things from other BetterMostians.  I discovered I was not alone.  ("Ah so other people believe that Randall really did proposition Jack," etc.)

But now I find that the crying never did go away.  Watching or reading it is so emotionally draining I just can't handle it.  So I stopped watching it.  Will that go away?  Is it just me?  I miss BBM. 
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 12:06:52 pm »
The folks that have replied to your post have all been active, contributing members here pretty much since the git-go some 8 years ago, so I'd say yes, we were all quite emotionally affected by this film.  As to "drained", speaking for myself, I can't say I ever felt that way at the end of the film or book.  I've always looked at it as 'it's better to have loved and lost than never loved at all'.  At least, I *hope* that's what Ennis is thinking as he's closing the closet door.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 02:25:52 pm »
I remember crying the first time I read the story. But that was back in October of 1997...I didn't cry at the end of the movie when I first saw it but I felt and looked stunned. My daughter, who took me to the movie, asked me if I was alright. Since I knew the story and how it would end, I didn't cry, but I was shocked that it was such a powerful movie. I was expecting much less.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 02:38:57 pm »
I remember crying the first time I read the story. But that was back in October of 1997...I didn't cry at the end of the movie when I first saw it but I felt and looked stunned. My daughter, who took me to the movie, asked me if I was alright. Since I knew the story and how it would end, I didn't cry, but I was shocked that it was such a powerful movie. I was expecting much less.

Stunned is the word for it. I even deliberately reread the story before I saw the movie, so I was even shocked to recognize bits of dialog here and there that I knew came directly from Annie Proulx. I didn't cry, either, but I sure was stunned at the power of the film and the faithfulness of the adaptation and the gut-wrenching truthfulness of the performances.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 03:20:01 pm »
I've said this before, but I was a complete BBM virgin when I first saw it.  No story, no trailer, nothin'.  All I can say is I'm glad that I always carry a handkerchief, cuz I sure needed it.  Along with everyone else in the theatre that day.

For the next umpty-nine times I saw it, it was waterworks from the Lake Scene onward, with an extra gasp/gulp at Jack's murder scene. 

Now, it's more peaceful and I'm grateful for that.  It's like visiting old friends.  I tend to see something new each time. 

Nowadays, I only watch it maybe once a year.