Author Topic: Hugh Hugh Hugh!  (Read 147981 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Hugh Hugh Hugh!
« Reply #370 on: April 25, 2008, 05:56:54 pm »
Here's another one I couldn't resist. From the Arizona Republic:

Deception is kind of like the Oscars - surely the only time the film and the awards will ever be mentioned in the same breath. Both plod lamely at the beginning, milking inane dialogue, before trying to squeeze far too much into the last little bit.

For what it's worth, I'm terrible at figuring out mysteries, yet I saw all the twists coming. Then again, they were so obvious, the people in the theater next door probably picked up on them, too.

from Film Journal International:

Filmed under the equally nondescript and even more pointless title The Tourist, Deception is a preposterously plotted neo-noir about an ordinary guy who falls for the wrong man and the wrong woman, in that order. It’s the kind of movie that would have even Cinemax subscribers yelling things like, "Wait a minute, how could he—?" and "Oh, hold on now, that doesn't make sense!" And Cinemax subscribers aren't the most discerning in the world.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #371 on: April 25, 2008, 06:10:56 pm »
oh I found a funny review here too!

Newark Star-Ledger: There's only one good con game going on here. And it's the studio's sneaky plot to nimbly pick $11 from your pocket.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #372 on: April 25, 2008, 06:16:51 pm »
omg those quotes are a howl!

They sure are! 

And here’s a nice suggestion, Hollywood. If you want a film to have this many twists, it’d be best to not name the movie Deception. That would be like naming Citizen Kane something like It’s a Sled or renaming Psycho with Norman Bates is the Killer Who Dresses Like His Dead Mother.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I can just picture the reviewers champing at the bit to run out of the screening room and start writing these!  Now, I really want to watch it (but I'll wait for the DVD, which should be coming out very shortly) - just to see for myself how bad it is! And looking at Hugh for a couple of hours, even in a real turkey, is no great hardship. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #373 on: April 25, 2008, 06:29:03 pm »
I didn't have a chance to read my local paper this morning, so I just went and grabbed it and found a syndicated review by Roger Moore of the Orlando Sentinel.  Apparently, he's in the minority and didn't hate it! And he has some nice things to say about both Hugh and Michelle Williams.

Deception (3 stars out of 5)
DECEPTION IS AN INTRIGUING NEW THRILLER

Roger Moore, Sentinel Movie Critic April 25, 2008

It isn't the deceit that sells Deception, an intriguing new thriller that abandons that intrigue for a messy and unsatisfying finale. It's watching Hugh Jackman turn some of that lethal charm of his loose on a villain, a smooth, sexy, seductive and dangerous guy who wears a suit a little too well to be trusted.

Ewan McGregor stars as Jonathan, a shy, lonely accountant, a guy who can't even "meet somebody" at work because he's an auditor, the person who drops in on businesses, goes over their books and makes the few people he meets there uncomfortable by the very nature of the job.

And you're not picking anybody up in a bar by telling them how much you love numbers, "the order of it, their symmetry." Which is why he blurts an awful lot of personal angst when the slick, backslapping Wyatt (Jackman) reaches out just a bit. Well, that and the pot they share after-hours.

Next thing Jonathan knows, he has a friend, somebody he can hit the bars with, meet on the tennis court. Next thing we know Jonathan and Wyatt have mixed up phones, and "no game" Jonathan finds himself caught up in "the List," a casual sex club for the rich, the confident, the well-connected.

"No names, no rough stuff, no talking business," just a phone call from another member, an "Are you free tonight?" and a no-consequences roll in the four-star-hotel hay with the likes of nameless women with healthy sexual appetites, women played by Natasha Henstridge (Eli Stone, Species) and Charlotte Rampling (The Verdict), whose character tells him "it's the intimacy without the intricacy."

But when Jonathan meets up with this pretty young thing he saw on the subway (Michelle Williams), the casual turns complicated. He's smitten. He wants to break the rules. He wants to date her. Of course that's the very moment she disappears and he's sure some harm has come to her and wonders how Wyatt may be involved.

Director Marcel Langenegger comes from the world of TV commercials, so the film has the sheen of a magazine cover. The offices are sterile, empty white, black and blue voids. The strip joint Wyatt and Jonathan check out is music-video perfect. But Deception's sound, music and image conjure up a feeling of isolation, desperation and dread.

McGregor plays this guy with the stooped posture of a loser, and a convincing American accent. His face gives away Jonathan's despair. Jackman, on the other hand, is the very picture of a guy who isn't a salesman, but sure is selling you something. The charisma just oozes from the man in this performance.

Williams is almost as surprising, letting us inside a woman who is first a lonely flirt, then a sexpot. She lets us watch her melt just a little in the presence of this man she met the wrong way and for reasons her mom wouldn't approve of. It's a pity the movie kind of goes off the rails in a chatty, explain-it-all (long after we've guessed it all), drawn-out finale. Screenwriter Mark Bombackdid the last Die Hard movie, which wasn't nearly as witty as this but which had similar third-act issues.

But that sneaky Pete, Jackman, the once-and-future Wolverine, makes this never less than watchable. And Williams (Brokeback Mountain), in her biggest screen role ever, shows us dimensions that suggest a career to come, someone perfectly suited to that professional deception we call good acting.  

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #374 on: April 25, 2008, 06:40:24 pm »
Yes, Roger Moore liked it. I saw his review posted on rottentomatoes. Someone in Minneapolis liked Michelle Williams. I posted that review over on the Heath Heath Heath thread. But then we have folks like blogger Brian Orndorf:

I don’t know where the production found director Marcel Langenegger, but they can put him right back. A lackluster visual stylist and even worse storyteller, Langenegger simply gives up midway through the film.

“Deception” has nothing innovative to offer the screen, so the experience of watching wonderful actors slum through dreadful material and nonexistent direction is disheartening, and frankly there’s nothing sadder in the world than to watch a sex-laden film unable to climax properly.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #375 on: April 25, 2008, 06:48:44 pm »
Another ouch. From the New York Post:

IS there anything more boring than watching $20 million being electronically trans ferred to an offshore bank account? Maybe it's someone repeatedly barking "You have no idea what I'm capable of!" into a cellphone.

Tired tropes like these ensure that the aptly named "Deception" - which starts out as a would-be erotic thriller with Ewan McGregor, Hugh Jackman and Michelle Williams - quickly devolves into a nonprescription alternative to Ambien.

Jackman (whose company produced this bomb) and McGregor, whose accents wander over three continents, barely seem interested in what's going on. Nor will those unwise enough to wander into "Deception."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #376 on: April 25, 2008, 06:56:01 pm »
This is the whole review from the Chicago Metromix. I couldn't decide on just a quote. LOL!

Deception
A thriller as unpredictable as a Harlem Globetrotters game

By Matt Pais

No one ever pays much attention to geeky, oblivious accountant Jonathan (Ewan McGregor), yet he doesn't think twice when slick attorney Wyatt (Hugh Jackman) befriends him, gives him an expensive suit and lets him take his place in an exclusive, no-strings-attached sex club for the wealthy, overworked and highly attractive. After Jonathan falls for S (Michelle Williams) on one of his trysts and she disappears, he begins to suspect that this, uh, situation may be more complicated than he realizes.

Big question: Is this psychological thriller sexy enough to pull a fast one on us at the office while our attention's in the bedroom?

Skip it: The ulterior motives in "Deception" are so obvious that you'll only miss them if you leave your eyes and ears at home. Onscreen mind games are only fun if you get to play them yourself, and the freaking title already spoils your chance to enjoy thinking anyone's legit.

Catch it: For Jonathan's not-at-all corny response to S when she tells him she doesn't want to complicate his life: "I want all the complications you've got." Smooth, man.

Bottom line: The only elements that ring true are the quick-moving, nameless corporate culture and the hint of mystery that Williams contributes to a conventional role. Otherwise, McGregor's performance turns a goody-goody into a gullible buffoon, and the plot has enough holes to keep Tiger Woods busy for a week.

Bonus: When Jonathan and Wyatt share a joint in a conference room after office hours, Jonathan says that he hasn't felt this good since seeing Van Halen in '87. You decide if that's a commentary on a life lived without fun or a backhanded way of saying VH's current reunion tour is too little, too late!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #377 on: April 25, 2008, 10:19:08 pm »
...and frankly there’s nothing sadder in the world than to watch a sex-laden film unable to climax properly.

LOL!!!

Catch it: For Jonathan's not-at-all corny response to S when she tells him she doesn't want to complicate his life: "I want all the complications you've got." Smooth, man.

Wince. That is pretty bad.

Bonus: When Jonathan and Wyatt share a joint in a conference room after office hours, Jonathan says that he hasn't felt this good since seeing Van Halen in '87. You decide if that's a commentary on a life lived without fun or a backhanded way of saying VH's current reunion tour is too little, too late!

LOL again! The movie does sound pretty bad, but these reviews are immensely entertaining! It does make me wonder what the heck Roger Moore is thinking...

Marie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #378 on: April 26, 2008, 07:41:26 am »
I finally got around to watching the Set to Screen video podcast from the movie Australia. Oh my goodness, what beautiful pictures! And I learned something, too...I never thought about the on-set still photographer. Interesting stuff.

Here's the link again:

http://www.apple.com/education/settoscreen/

and the movie has expanded the website with a blog:

http://www.australiamovie.net/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #379 on: April 26, 2008, 05:32:44 pm »
So I went and saw Deception. My review? I am not quite sure why the reviewers are being so savage.

It wasn't great but I have sat through movies that are much, much worse. Yes, it had corny dialog, and yes, I could figure things out pretty easily, but it was still entertaining for 108 minutes. The actors are certainly enjoyable to look at, the camera angles interesting, the music appropriate. It could have been much worse. And there was one big surprise I was totally unprepared for so I guess I didn't figure out every single plot twist.

Ewan McGregor did have one strange accent, I have to say. When he hit a US accent, he sounded like he was from Brooklyn (born and bred) but the rest of the time, he was mixing up three accents in one sentence. Weird. It seemed to get better as the movie went on, but maybe he wasn't talking so much, just frowning at the computer screen.

The pot smoking scene (near the beginning) was ridiculous. They share one joint for 35 minutes and inside of that 35 minutes they both (Hugh and Ewan) end up sitting cross-legged on the big, fancy conference room table, Ewan babbling on and on about the "perfect symmetry of numbers" or something equally inane. I thought, stoned out of their minds on one joint in 30 minutes? What is this, Reefer Madness or something?

Hugh fans, keep a close eye for this...Ewan receives a fax from the NYPD with info about who Hugh really is. On the fax are two of our favorite Hugh pictures:

I almost laughed out loud when I saw them!!

While there is more sex with Ewan, we do have one shirtless scene with Hugh. I could have used more. I didn't like Hugh at the beginning, but I liked him better as the movie went on--and he was the bad guy! I guess he was a more convincing bad guy. In fact, everyone got better as the movie went on. It was almost like they were acting at the beginning, then finally got comfortable in their roles. Unfortunately, it seems for alot of reviewers, they lost interest by that part, but I kept watching.

Oh, BTW, Charlotte Rampling as the semi-nude cougar was great.