Author Topic: Hugh Hugh Hugh!  (Read 146172 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Hugh Hugh Hugh!
« Reply #460 on: November 20, 2008, 01:39:09 pm »
Another pic to celebrate the news...

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #461 on: November 20, 2008, 05:32:24 pm »
from The Hollywood Reporter:

Film Review: Australia
Bottom Line: In epic style, Baz Luhrmann weaves his wizardry on Oz.

By Megan Lehmann

Nov 18, 2008

Opens: Nov. 26, U.S. and Australia (20th Century Fox)

SYDNEY -- With his audaciously titled epic "Australia," Baz Luhrmann has delivered a shamelessly melodramatic, often eccentric spectacle with true-blue blockbuster potential. The most expensive Australian film ever made is rousing and passionate. Despite some cringe-making Harlequin Romance moments between homegrown Hollywood stars Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman, the 1940s-set "Australia" defies all but the most cynical not to get carried away by the force of its grandiose imagery and storytelling.

And, yes, there are kangaroos.

Tourism Australia may have politely requested their inclusion, with hopes for a tourist revival riding on this $130 million Outback tale, along with what seems like the future of the entire local film industry. If Luhrmann felt the weight of that responsibility, it doesn't show. His "Australia" is much less earnest than the trailer suggests, layered with a thin veneer of camp and a nod and a wink to accompany the requisite Aussie cliches.

Having shunned the recent grinding run of bleak suburban micro-dramas, Australians are primed to embrace his monumental magic-realist vision, which honors the country's heritage and celebrates the invigorating majesty of its landscape.

Even if it does run a butt-numbing 2 hours and 45 minutes, the film has broad appeal for international audiences with plenty of stirring action sequences to make the blokes more comfortable with a particularly blatant shot of bare-chested Jackman lathering up under the shower.

Fashioned in the style of classics such as "Gone With the Wind" and "Lawrence of Arabia," "Australia" follows the fortunes of persnickety Englishwoman Lady Sarah Ashley (Kidman), who inherits a sprawling cattle property in northwestern Australia.

Under threat of a takeover, she reluctantly enlists the help of a Marlboro Man-style stockman known only as the Drover (Jackman) to help drive 1,500 head of cattle across the Top End of Australia to the port of Darwin, ahead of its bombing by the Japanese.

Unlike "Gone With the Wind," which skirted the political context of the Civil War, the controversial issue of the so-called Stolen Generation is more than a mere backdrop for the emotional upheavals experienced by the film's leads. Luhrmann, who makes a habit of upending convention, has plonked the attempted assimilation of mixed-race Aboriginal children into Western culture front and center, making this as much a story of reconciliation between black and white Australia as it is between the untamed local and the aristocratic import.

Enter the film's breakout star: 13-year-old Brandon Walters, playing young mixed-race boy Nullah. By turns cheeky and heartrending, the limpid-eyed newcomer knits the disparate threads of this sweeping epic together, single-handedly lending this showcase of amplified emotions its true heart.

Pin thin and ramrod straight, Kidman gives one of her most engaging performances, occasionally harking back to the comic highs of "To Die For." Meanwhile, Jackman looks good in his Akubra bush hat.

Performances are strong throughout, particularly from David Wenham as Lady Ashley's malevolent rival and David Gulpilil as Nullah's mystical grandfather, King George.

While the "Wizard of Oz" motif is labored and the narrative hits a few speed bumps, all is forgiven when Luhrmann brings out one of his stunning set pieces, like a thrilling cattle stampede along a cliff edge.

Cinematographer Mandy Walker, who collaborated with Luhrmann on his award-winning Chanel No. 5 commercial, creates a sumptuous, painterly look, complemented by impeccable costume and production design from Luhrmann's Oscar-winning wife, Catherine Martin.

Production company: Bazmark Films, 20th Century Fox

Cast: Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman, David Wenham, Bryan Brown, Jack Thompson, David Gulpilil, Brandon Walters; Director: Baz Luhrmann; Screenwriters: Baz Luhrmann, Stuart Beattie, Ronald Harwood, Richard Flanagan; Producers: Baz Luhrmann, G. Mac Brown, Catherine Knapman; Director of photography: Mandy Walker; Production designer: Catherine Martin; Music: David Hirschfelder; Costume designer: Catherine Martin; Editors: Dody Dorn, Michael McCusker.

No MPAA rating, 165 minutes.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/film/reviews/article_display.jsp?&rid=11975
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #462 on: November 21, 2008, 02:10:11 pm »
Another look at the sexiest man alive...

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #463 on: November 26, 2008, 08:31:37 am »
So, today is the big day, right? Who's going to see it tonight? Leslie, I know you are. I'll be waiting to read your review. Unless you have to recover first for a bit of course.  ;)

I have to wait another 21 days.  :-\
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #464 on: November 26, 2008, 09:12:40 am »
So, today is the big day, right? Who's going to see it tonight? Leslie, I know you are. I'll be waiting to read your review. Unless you have to recover first for a bit of course.  ;)

I'm seeing it Friday.  No spoilers or someone make a thread that warns about spoilers.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #465 on: November 26, 2008, 02:39:05 pm »
I am going to the 3:40 pm show (2 hours from now!) with my son Lance.

Here's a great quote from the review in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/25/AR2008112502454.html

"But what's most fascinating about "Australia" is how Luhrmann subtly turns the tables and, at least structurally speaking, makes Jackman his leading lady. Whether he's being photographed in all his bronzed, bare-chested glory or arriving for his Cinderella moment decked out in a dashing white dinner jacket, it's Jackman who enjoys the adoring gaze usually reserved for female stars. And he rises to the occasion, exuding that ineluctable tincture of warmth, sex appeal and sheer talent that makes it possible for him to upstage not just Kidman but also an entire continent. "

Go Hugh!

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #466 on: November 26, 2008, 02:39:54 pm »
Roger Ebert gave Australia three stars:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081125/REVIEWS/811259991

Still, what a gorgeous film, what strong performances, what exhilarating images and -- yes, what sweeping romantic melodrama. The kind of movie that is a movie, with all that the word promises and implies.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #467 on: November 26, 2008, 02:40:23 pm »
From the premiere in NYC on Monday night:

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #468 on: November 26, 2008, 07:48:58 pm »

I am heading out to the movies as soon as I get home and have a quick dinner! so I am going to be roughly 5 hours behind Leslie!  I read a very amusing review (it was not flattering to anyone except Hugh!) in the San Francisco Chronicle today which described that Hugh looked "better than he has ever looked in his life", that he is a stunning presence, and that there were closeups in the film that made the entire film stop, "as if he were Garbo, or Michelangelo's David, or a solar eclipse."  I laughed out loud, and I can't wait for the entire film to stop for those closeups!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #469 on: November 26, 2008, 10:24:16 pm »
Okay, so my review from opening day:

It is like three movies in one: western, love story, then war movie. Everytime you think it is ending it starts up again.

Lots and lots of Hugh goodness although the famous shirtless shower scene occurs early and goes by fast. So keep your eyes peeled.

I went in wanting to like it and I did. I can see how people who want to find something to criticize can. But that was not my attitude. I was hoping for entertainment and I was entertained. It was a good old fashioned movie -- everytime the bad guy came on screen, the bad guy music played. Sweeping, epic scenes. Lots of, "Oh no, what happens next!?"

I thought it was great. I'll be seeing it again, I am sure, probably with my mom and daughter.

L