Author Topic: Yesterday was Lammas and I forgot all about it!  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Yesterday was Lammas and I forgot all about it!
« on: August 02, 2013, 09:00:49 am »
August 1 is Lammas (from "Loaf Mass"), and I forgot all about it. My bad.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Yesterday was Lammas and I forgot all about it!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 03:01:53 pm »
Tuesday is Lammas Day (or Lughnasadh). It's also a full moon.

We have two full moons in August, Tuesday, which is August 1, and again on Wednesday, August 30.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 09:02:20 am »
A blue moon! Seems Brokeish to me for some reason. Perhaps because it's a natural phenomenon. That was what was so beautiful about the story and film. It was all about nature. Love is a force of nature.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 12:27:12 pm »
Yes, I was just thinking about how there'd be a blue moon next month! The rarity that inspired the clich?. Wonder why they call it "blue."

Friends in the building are already planning to gather Tuesday evening on the rooftop patio, a great place to watch a full moon rise.

I had to google Lammas Day. Do people bring their loaves to church to be blessed? I once saw a "blessing of the animals" in Louisiana where people brought their animals in person. Well, in animal.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 09:02:35 pm »
Yes, I was just thinking about how there'd be a blue moon next month! The rarity that inspired the clich?. Wonder why they call it "blue."

Friends in the building are already planning to gather Tuesday evening on the rooftop patio, a great place to watch a full moon rise.

That sounds really nice. The moon is now up, but here it's still pretty low in the sky, and there must be haze in the air because it looks a little orange right now.

I had to google Lammas Day. Do people bring their loaves to church to be blessed? I once saw a "blessing of the animals" in Louisiana where people brought their animals in person. Well, in animal.

Before the pandemic we used to have a Blessing of the Animals at my church. It was done on the first Sunday in October because that was closest to the feast day of St. Francis of Assisi (Oct. 4).

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 09:55:58 am »
A new thing I discovered this summer is watermelon salad. I make it simple with just watermelon, feta, and basil. Here's a recipe that's a bit fancier.

https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/watermelon-feta-salad/
"chewing gum and duct tape"