Author Topic: International Talk Like A Pirate Day  (Read 52569 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: International Talk Like A Pirate Day
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 11:49:10 am »
Go over to the new poll on this Holiday Forum and take a guess as to the real words Long John Silver spoke in Treasure Island. Time Magazine today says that the pirate talk is a fiction dreamed up by Walt Disney and Robert Newton, who played the buccaneer in Disney's version of the story in 1950.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 12:01:05 pm »
Go over to the new poll on this Holiday Forum and take a guess as to the real words Long John Silver spoke in Treasure Island. Time Magazine today says that the pirate talk is a fiction dreamed up by Walt Disney and Robert Newton, who played the buccaneer in Disney's version of the story in 1950.

That was my understanding. Especially the Aaargh!  ;D

That movie was on TCM not too long ago, but too late for me to watch on a work night.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 06:30:34 pm »
Aaargh! Avast, me hearties!

Tell you what.  :laugh:

When I left the office to return home this afternoon, I realized that this morning, without realizing what I was doing, I did something utterly appropriate for International Talk Like a Pirate Day. When I left home this morning, I wore my souvenir cap that commemorates the Whydah, a really genuine pirate ship that came to grief off Cape Cod in 1717.

There is a museum dedicated to the ship in Provincetown.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 09:14:56 am »
Now that's funny.

A joke I heard yesterday on the radio.

Who is a pirate's favorite independent actor?

Peter Saaarrrsgaaargh!

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 09:24:44 am »
Now that's funny.

A joke I heard yesterday on the radio.

Who is a pirate's favorite independent actor?

Peter Saaarrrsgaaargh!

And who is a pirate's favorite actress?

Sofia Vergaaargha!

;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 10:42:40 am »
You guys are a couple of deuces!

I was pushing my three grandchildren in a stroller to the park yesterday and Grandchild #2 had brought his pirate sword and was dragging it on the ground. I said, "Charlie don't do that, you're making the blade dull." ( :laugh: it's made out of foam.) Grandchild #1 asked, "What's 'dull'?" "Blunt," I answered. Grandchild #1 asked, "What's 'blunt'?" "ROUGH!" I answered.

You should have seen them in their "pirate ship". Grandchild #3 rode in front, brandishing her sippy cup. Grandchild #2 rode in the poop deck and Grandchild #1 stood on the running board, pointing the way. Bringing up the rear was the tugboat, grandma.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 11:38:10 am »

And who is a pirate's favorite actress?

Sofia Vergaaargha!

;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2016, 11:45:32 am »
You guys are a couple of deuces!

I was pushing my three grandchildren in a stroller to the park yesterday and Grandchild #2 had brought his pirate sword and was dragging it on the ground. I said, "Charlie don't do that, you're making the blade dull." ( :laugh: it's made out of foam.) Grandchild #1 asked, "What's 'dull'?" "Blunt," I answered. Grandchild #1 asked, "What's 'blunt'?" "ROUGH!" I answered.

You should have seen them in their "pirate ship". Grandchild #3 rode in front, brandishing her sippy cup. Grandchild #2 rode in the poop deck and Grandchild #1 stood on the running board, pointing the way. Bringing up the rear was the tugboat, grandma.

Wow! I've seen strollers for two, but never for three! That must be quite the battle ship of strollers! Were you flying the Jolly Roger?

I'm glad I accidentally wore my cap yesterday. I have two Jolly Roger t-shirts and didn't think to wear either of them.  :(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2016, 11:53:11 am »
And what is a pirate's favorite Italian dish?

Chicken paaarrghmigana!

;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2016, 09:46:55 am »
Oh geeeez!   LOL