Author Topic: Clouds  (Read 6145 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Clouds
« on: October 12, 2006, 06:13:39 pm »
The new autumn colors of the Bettermost Board reminded me of something I've bean meaning to bring up here. In the movie, there is a beautiful shot of two clouds taken on the first evening there on the mountain. There is a deep blue, almost black cloud on the right, and on the left is a cloud that is all enflamed in orange glow reflected from the sun. The interplay of Ennis and Jack seems to be playing out in the sky.

Another example is one of the first scenes when the Farm Employment trailer is shown for the first time. There are two stratus clouds that stream from left to right, coming together over the trailer. To me, the clouds seem to embody the destinies of the two young men which are about to coincide. Other important cloud sightings??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

moremojo

Re: Clouds
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 06:16:57 pm »
One other possibly significant cloud presence in the film is when Ennis steps out of the Twist home in Lightning Flat, and stands for a moment looking solemnly to his left (reflecting on the grieving plain?). In this shot, there is a large cloud over the house that some maintain looks like the letter 'J'. The argument goes that this cloud, with other visual elements in the frame, spell out JACK.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 08:51:37 pm »
One other possibly significant cloud presence in the film is when Ennis steps out of the Twist home in Lightning Flat, and stands for a moment looking solemnly to his left (reflecting on the grieving plain?). In this shot, there is a large cloud over the house that some maintain looks like the letter 'J'. The argument goes that this cloud, with other visual elements in the frame, spell out JACK.

I remember that!  Here is a photo, followed by one I marked up, though I can't remember for sure how the person marked it on the other thread.  Fascinating observation.

Ich bin ein Brokie...

moremojo

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 08:54:56 pm »
Thanks, meryl; I was a bit off in my recollection. I remembered a cloud being there, and now see it for a 'C'! :)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 09:39:05 pm »
As Aguirre drives up, there are two clouds that could represent Jack and Ennis:

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Dafna

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 03:56:34 pm »
Clouds do seem to be a theme that continues to run through the movie. I find very few movies to be visually pretty but BBM is one of the prettiest movies I have ever seen. And I'm not just talking about Jack and Ennis  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 07:30:11 pm »
I'm looking forward to more cloud sightings when we watch the movie together in chat tomorrow.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 01:16:20 pm »
And we know that clouds are one of the main things the CGIers worked on.  So it's very possible.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 12:43:34 am »
Just wanted to add my opinion on the Clouds cause I always notice these, the best clouds to me was after TS1 when Ennis was riding on the ridge and the cloulds over his head went from light to very dark as he was riding across the screen.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 01:37:49 am »
Oh yeah, good example, marlb.  The clouds on that ridge say so much about how the mood of the movie just changed.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 01:49:02 am »
Thanks Meryl,

Yes that why those clouds struck me so much, also like they are foreshodowing all the darkness to come.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 03:24:48 am »
Thanks Meryl,

Yes that why those clouds struck me so much, also like they are foreshodowing all the darkness to come.

How true!  :'(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 03:10:08 pm »
I never noticed those before! Thanks for pointing that out!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 10:41:02 pm »
From "The Virginian" a novel by Owen Wister about Wyoming, which had an influence on Annie Proulx.

"The sun was now shining warm during two or three minutes together, and gulfs of blue opened in the great white clouds. These moved and met among each other, and parted, like hands spread out, slowly weaving a spell of sleep over the day after the wakeful night storm. The huge contours of the earth lay basking and drying, and not one living creature, bird or beast, was in sight. Quiet was returning to my revived spirits, but there was nione for the Virginian."

If you're interested, check out the Virginian topic in Anything Goes.