Author Topic: OMG -- DVD SUBTITLES on the SECOND TENT SCENE!!!!!!!!  (Read 10916 times)

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: OMG -- DVD SUBTITLES on the SECOND TENT SCENE!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 09:23:54 pm »
OK, so, I watched that scene about fifteen times with my volume to the max and focusing each time on just one of them. Ennis' mouth is completely closed, shut, lips zipped together when the supposable "I'm sorry" is uttered. On the other hand, one can see Jack's mouth move slightly, not too much, since, at the first "It's alright" he barely whispers. You see his mouth move again, the same way, when the second "It's alright", more distinct, is said and then the third one is really clear.
As much as Ennis saying "I'm sorry" makes sense to me from a logical p.o.v., I  neither heard, nor saw him saying it.

Tried to hear the "Lie back. Come on.", but all I got is some undistinguishable whisper/breathing, that kinda sounded like "Lie back", but no "Come on".

"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 09:45:15 pm »
Ah, the controversy continues.  Well, we knew that would happen.   :P

Does 'C'mon lie back' make sense though?

Isn't it Jack who lies down on his back, then finally rolls Ennis over?

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 10:06:12 pm »
hrm, as far as bad subtitling goes, the Malaysian one is more fun.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 11:07:49 pm »
Oh, do tell about the Malaysian one, starbie.  Those can be hilarious.  ;D

As for the great debate, I've decided it will always remain one of the Sacred Mysteries.   Each individual who listens with a pure heart will be rewarded in his/her own fashion.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 11:10:46 pm by meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 11:10:59 pm »
Meryl - check out hungry_hungryhippos thread "Brokeback Through The Looking Glass" - it's hilarious and all about the Malaysian interpretation.
   Cowboys do it better

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 11:40:34 pm »
I know I've asked this before but I don't remember where, so I can't go back and look...
Where does Jack say give 'em hell?
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2006, 11:43:25 pm »
When Ennis is drunk, lying on the ground and says he's going back up to the sheep. 
   Cowboys do it better

Offline mlewisusc

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 02:13:41 am »
My two cents:

1. Jack says "s'allright" three times.  I'm convinced.  Just me, but still . . .

2. PLEASE do NOT let Surf501 see this thread - he WILL have an aneurysm and bleed out on his Mac and we will be responsible!  (Apologies, K!)
"Good enough place" - Ennis del Mar

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 02:53:03 am »

hehehe... I stand by my Malaysian subtitles!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Ennis's supposed "I'm sorry" - gosh, wouldn't we all love him to say that?  Makes so much sense and while his mouth doesn't have to move (i've tried this 50+ times in front of a mirror) you CAN say "sorry" without moving your lips at all, but your mouth needs to be OPEN.

Ennis's mouth isn't open, from what I can tell.  I'm still in the s'alright x3 camp as well.

And uhhh.. if my lovely friends to the north can get subtitling SO wrong, then who's to say the manufacturers of rtprod's copy fare any better??  ;D

More subtitles to come tonight guys..
Chut up!

vkm91941

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 05:32:13 am »
i can't remember which viewing it was, but i moved from the "sorry/salright" camp to the "salright/salright" camp a while back.  it's very clear on the right sound system.  sorry :(  i'm a traitor.

I'm a traitor too Andrew.  As I've shared I've watched it 4 times in a brand new state of the art theater with good screen quality and sound.  Ennis's mouth doesn't move.  It's Jack who says "saright, salright" twice  in obivious response to the combination of fear and apology  he sees in Ennis's face.  BUt let the debate rage..I love it.