Author Topic: OMG -- DVD SUBTITLES on the SECOND TENT SCENE!!!!!!!!  (Read 10996 times)

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
Re: OMG -- DVD SUBTITLES on the SECOND TENT SCENE!!!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2006, 11:08:50 am »
I'm a traitor too Andrew.  As I've shared I've watched it 4 times in a brand new state of the art theater with good screen quality and sound.  Ennis's mouth doesn't move.  It's Jack who says "saright, salright" twice  in obivious response to the combination of fear and apology  he sees in Ennis's face.  BUt let the debate rage..I love it.

i love it too!  just the idea of ennis apologizing for his actions... haha i don't know why but it just seems so SWEET!  i say argue on.  but deep down we all know what it really is :P  we just don't have to accept it lol
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2006, 11:35:17 am »
Listen to Meryl, the all wise, all knowing High Priestess of Brokebackism:

"As for the great debate, I've decided it will always remain one of the Sacred Mysteries.   Each individual who listens with a pure heart will be rewarded in his/her own fashion."

Amen. I mean, Yahoo.

One more thing--before you put too much credence in the English subtitles, do see how they have rendered one of our very favorite lines:

"Man, that's more words than you've spoke in the last two weeks."

I mean, really. The help these days....
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2006, 11:39:26 am »
I might be able to go along with "Sorry, S'alright, S'alright." but I just can't accept "Lie down, come on." You'd have to open and move your mouth to say those things, and Jack's mouth quite clearly shut.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2006, 11:39:36 am »
(kiss)

Ennis:  I'm sorry. 

Jack: It's all right.  It's all right.  Lie back.  Come on. 

I haven't seen the movie on DVD because it's not out in Spain yet  :(, but I have seen the movie with subtitles in Spanish several times and the above was on the subtitles except that Jack doesn't say "Lie back, come on"
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

rtprod

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2006, 11:48:29 am »
I can't see Ennis' mouth move really either.  However, it never moves much anyway, and this would be muttered/whispered anyway, rather than formally spoken.  And you can actually say "sorry" without moving your lips -- try it!   ;D

I'm having a hard time with 3 all rights -- seems redundant.  I can maybe buy Jack saying "sorry, it's all right, it's all right."  But then I could be way off here--and that's the fun of this topic, and why it's lasted so many months here... 

« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:00:58 pm by rtprod »