Author Topic: Favorite Jack Twist Line  (Read 22100 times)

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Favorite Jack Twist Line
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2006, 09:42:35 am »
I'm the sole "No more beans" voter.  Of all his lines, and I love pretty much all of 'em, this one defines him the most to me.  I think the beans are actually symbolic.  They are a symbol of the status quo, which is acceptable to Ennis but not to Jack.  Just that whole sequence - "I thought you didn't eat soup."  "Yeah, well, I'm sicka beans."  "Too early in the summer to be sick of beans."  Beans being pretending to be straight when you're not.  Love it.  Love the line.  Love that whole sequence.  Love Jack.  Love Ennis.  But mostly love Jack. 

Hey Barb, I'm not entirely sure why, but this makes absolute sense to me.  I've read a lot of threads about symbolism, camera moves and kitchen scales, and I superficially get these without any real resonance.  After all, many kitchens contain scales.  But the beans meaning "straight", whether this was purposely inserted in the movie or not, really works for me.  Thank you Barb, that collection of seemingly unrelated scenes with beans, now means a whole lot more for me.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 02:16:55 pm »
I love ALL of them, but "It's nobody's business but ours" was the one that got me hooked, when I saw it in the preview.

Next, probably the long speech, ending with "you'll kill me for needing something I don't hardly never get," on the last morning.

I..can't choose!
CLICK TO ENBLARGE
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 02:28:12 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2006, 02:19:24 pm »
I can't pick because I love all of 1 through 10 (11 and 12 are too painful).
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline iheartBBM

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • Harold Ramis Forever
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2006, 01:07:49 am »
Wow... it is SOOO hard to pick! I ended up choosing "What if you and me had a little ranch together somewhere, little cow-and-calf operation, it'd be some sweet life."  But really I love them all.

I like it when Ennis says "I thought that mare couldn't throw you" and Jack replies "Well... she got lucky" lol I dont know why, I just think it's really cute.
STRAIGHT but not NARROW

CHRISTIAN but not HOMOPHOBIC

:) :) :) :)

Offline korgriff

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006, 08:12:08 pm »
shakes the ground, That is one of my favorites too.
Isabelle, I'm with you.  S'alright catches me everytime!!  It got my vote. 

Another good one is in the beginning when they introduce themselves and  Jack says " did your folks just stop at Ennis?" 
"....you got a better idea?" Ennis Del Mar
"I did once." Jack Twist

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2006, 08:28:05 pm »
I like it when Ennis says "I thought that mare couldn't throw you" and Jack replies "Well... she got lucky" lol I dont know why, I just think it's really cute.

I love this one, too, iheart! Partly because of the cute way he says it.

And I agree with Jeff, No. 11 is WAY too depressing. No. 12 I can handle, because I cling to the hope in "I wish I knew" -- that is, he doesn't know how and can't.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 03:58:16 am »
I couldn't help but choose "Ole Brokeback got us good, didn't it?"

There has been several times I  have thought  the same thing.

Plus, Jack pulled at my heartstrings just a little when he said this.

It was powerful, yet a little sad too.  >:(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 01:47:48 pm »
Gotta be the 'Truth is...' line for me. He's so vulnerable and sad at that moment... I just wanna kiss it all better  :-*

Other than that - and I'm not sure quite why I like the way he says this line so much - I love how Jake says "That ain't the point" when he's bitchin' about Aguiire.
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2006, 01:07:02 pm »
I can't choose!  I love them all!

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2006, 01:52:29 pm »
Ack!  That was hard.  I went with "Never enough time, never enough" - it jumped out at me at the moment and it is so freakin' sad.  There never was enough time for them  :(
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.