Author Topic: On Bewitched  (Read 28415 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: On Bewitched
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 03:40:49 pm »
I wasn't a faithful watcher of Bewitched, but I did enjoy it when I did watch it.  I remember when little Tabitha joined the cast and became a witch as well.

I liked the more modern witches.  ;D

although, this has me thinking of something.....

Before I mentioned Tabitha, and the show where Samantha announces her pregnancy, Darren wants a human boy or girl.  Samantha's father wants a warlock, and Endora wants a witch.  Samantha shrugs her shoulders and says "boy or girl....witch or warlock"  implying the witch is female, and the warlock a male.

On "Charmed" it was explained that males or females could be witches.  Warlocks were witches who choose to use their powers for evil.

I wonder which is more 'correct'?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 04:00:19 pm »
Before I mentioned Tabitha, and the show where Samantha announces her pregnancy, Darren wants a human boy or girl.  Samantha's father wants a warlock, and Endora wants a witch.  Samantha shrugs her shoulders and says "boy or girl....witch or warlock"  implying the witch is female, and the warlock a male.

On "Charmed" it was explained that males or females could be witches.  Warlocks were witches who choose to use their powers for evil.

I don't think I'd phrase the question that way. It appears to me that all these shows and movies with characters with supernatural powers create their own "rules." Per Webster, a warlock is male--so you could score one for Bewitched, I guess--but both were considered to practice black magic.

I guess the question really is, "Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?"  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 04:03:08 pm »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 08:06:48 pm »
I wasn't a faithful watcher of Bewitched, but I did enjoy it when I did watch it.  I remember when little Tabitha joined the cast and became a witch as well.

I liked the more modern witches.  ;D

although, this has me thinking of something.....

The word 'warlock' is a misnomer.  It literally means "oathbreaker".  The correct term for a male witch is 'wizard'.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 08:41:00 pm »
Where did Endora and Maurice and Uncle Arthur and Cousin Serena and dear, dear Aunt Clara (and her doorknob collection!) live, anyway?

A few months ago, when I was watching episodes on Me-TV, I was shocked to realize what an anti-witchcraft chauvinist Darrin was, actually ordering Sam not to use witchcraft, using the verb forbid.  >:(

Endora was right about him all along, and Sam should have turned him into a toad and moved on. ...

I've wondered about this, as well.  And Endora and Maurice?  Were they married and going about their separate ways, divorced, never married?

Yes, Darrin hated witchcraft, but I think he was more concerned about his wife being discovered and harm coming to her and their family.  But I could be wrong about that!  :)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 08:42:30 pm »
The word 'warlock' is a misnomer.  It literally means "oathbreaker".  The correct term for a male witch is 'wizard'.

Interesting!   :)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 08:38:42 am »

Interesting, but then wouldn't the "Charmed" interpretation be the more correct?  A witch's 'oath' is the Wiccan Rede, their one commandment, which is "If it harms no one, do what you will"

A witch who breaks that oath would be a warlock.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 09:24:51 am »
I've wondered about this, as well.  And Endora and Maurice?  Were they married and going about their separate ways, divorced, never married?

I always figured, whatever "marriage" was between a witch and a warlock, they were, but clearly living separate lives.

I guess I ask the questions that you're not even supposed to think of. I mean, nobody thought it weird that Samantha's own mother skipped her daughter's wedding?

As for wizards and warlocks and whatever, it's looking to me like the answer depends a whole lot on your perspective. Are you looking at the question as an "insider," a contemporary pagan, or are you looking at it as an "outsider" with the perspective of historical use--which was, I'm pretty sure, determined by outsiders. And are you looking at fiction or real life? Nobody that I know of considers the Wizard of Oz a male witch.  ;)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 10:37:44 am »
... Nobody that I know of considers the Wizard of Oz a male witch.  ;)

Au contraire! Remember there were good witches and bad witches in WOO. Glinda was a good witch. And how did she know so much about the Wizard? Because he was one of her ilk, of course! I'm fresh on this because I just saw the 3D version of WOO that just came out.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 07:16:41 pm »
Nobody that I know of considers the Wizard of Oz a male witch.  ;)

Then what did they think he was before Dorothy unmasked him?