Author Topic: Tim's Vermeer: Reverse-Engineering a Genius (Has a Vermeer Mystery Been Solved?)  (Read 15356 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/28/arts/design/for-fervent-fans-of-the-dutch-masters-its-a-dream-come-true.html

For Fervent Fans of the Dutch Masters,
‘It’s a Dream Come True’

By RANDY KENNEDY
Published: November 27, 2013

Shin-Ichi Fukuoka, center, an avid fan of Vermeer, is flanked by works by that Dutch
master at the Frick Collection’s popular show:
“Vermeer, Rembrandt and Hals: Masterpieces of Dutch Painting From the Mauritshuis.”

Vermeer’s “Girl With a Pearl Earring” is on loan to the Frick.

Shin-Ichi Fukuoka, a molecular biologist from Tokyo, really — really — loves Johannes Vermeer. He has traveled around the world to visit 34 of the 36 paintings known or believed to be Vermeers.

And last year he accepted a visiting professorship in New York in large part to witness an extraordinarily rare occurrence: the Frick Collection’s own three splendid Vermeers and three Rembrandts joined briefly by 15 works on loan from one of the world’s best Dutch collections, the Royal Picture Gallery Mauritshuis in The Hague, including one of the most famous faces in Western art, “Girl With a Pearl Earring.”

A halo surrounds Golden Age paintings from the Northern Netherlands more than almost any period of art. The Dutch masters of the 17th century — among them Vermeer, Rembrandt, Hals, Fabritius — draw loyal and obsessive museumgoers who rival those Wagner fanatics who travel the world to hear every “Ring” cycle.

Like Mr. Fukuoka, they arrange their vacations, their business trips, their reading, their friends and a good portion of the rest of their lives around seeing the quiet masterpieces created during one of the high points in painting’s history. The Frick show “Vermeer, Rembrandt and Hals” — made possible because the Mauritshuis is loaning out its treasures during an extensive renovation — broke a single-day attendance record during the exhibition’s first weekend. But a convergence is also driving traffic to the exhibition: With four Vermeers at the Frick through Jan. 19, five in the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s collection, four at the National Gallery of Art in Washington and one attributed, in whole or in part, to Vermeer now on loan to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Eastern Seaboard temporarily features 38.8 percent of all known Vermeers, accessible by Amtrak. (A reported 37th painting has long been disputed.)

“It’s a dream come true,” Dr. Fukuoka said during a recent visit to the Frick, explaining that, as a young man, he fell in love with Vermeer’s work while researching the history of the microscope in Delft, the artist’s hometown. “He doesn’t try to interpret the world,” he said. “There’s no egocentrism. He just tried to describe the world as it was. I think of him as a photographer in an age before photography.”

Dr. Fukuoka was so moved that he organized his own Vermeer exhibition in Tokyo last year, displaying high-resolution framed photographs of the paintings in a gallery that he rented, drawing 150,000 visitors over 10 months despite having not a single actual painting. (A show of Mauritshuis works on view at the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum last year, including “Girl With a Pearl Earring,” drew more than a million visitors over just two and a half months.)

As devoted as Dr. Fukuoka is, there are fans who have done him one, or two, better. Tracy Chevalier, who wrote Girl With a Pearl Earring, the 1999 historical novel that inspired a movie and transformed the painting into a bona fide cultural phenomenon, has seen 36 Vermeers in her travels around the world and recently came to New York for the Frick show.

“The opportunity to see four Vermeers in one building was too good a chance to pass up,” she said in a telephone interview from London, where she lives and often goes to see the four Vermeers in and around her own city. “I think one of the reasons people are drawn to Dutch painting now is because it’s not religious, by and large,” Ms. Chevalier said. “It’s people sitting around playing cards or a woman mopping the floor, or it’s a fish market or an interior of a home. I think we like to see that window onto a middle-class world that is not all that different from our own. There’s something like us in there.”

The line forms early, in rain or bitter cold, for the Frick show, whose timed tickets cost $20 and include the audio guide. (Admission this Friday night and other selected Friday nights is free.)

In addition to general Dutch masters mania, the show is also benefiting from the popularity of The Goldfinch, the new novel by Donna Tartt; the book is inspired by a small, powerful painting of the same title, on loan from the Mauritshuis, by Carel Fabritius, a student of Rembrandt who died young. Heidi Rosenau, a spokeswoman for the Frick, said that the museum has felt the newfound popularity of the Fabritius painting: For every 1,000 postcards it sold of “Girl With a Pearl Earring,” about 800 of “The Goldfinch” have been sold since the show opened on Oct. 22.

William Thurston, a gastroenterologist from San Jose, Calif., caught a plane to New York just to see the Frick show and attend a lecture on the visiting Dutch works by the Mauritshuis’s senior curator, Quentin Buvelot.

“I wouldn’t miss something like this,” Dr. Thurston said. “The history of art and the history of Western culture are what I’m interested in, and they’re so woven together, it’s just wonderful for me to come see things like this.” His passion is not limited to the Dutch; he has flown to New York on three consecutive weekends for Frick lectures about the Italian Renaissance master Giovanni Bellini and traveled to Philadelphia, St. Louis and Washington specifically to see shows covering much of the sweep of Western art. “I organize all my travel time around things like this,” he said.

Jonathan Janson, an aficionado of Dutch painting who is behind the most popular and perhaps most obsessive amateur Vermeer website, essentialvermeer.com, said that in his experience, a love of Dutch painting tends to peak with Vermeer and Rembrandt.

“For example, there really aren’t a lot of Frans Hals people out there, besides scholars and dealers, that I’ve found,” said Mr. Janson, an American painter who lives in Rome and also maintains a Rembrandt site. “After the big two, there’s sort of a ledge.”

But that said, Dutch painting fans of all sorts seek him out as something of a high command of amateur ardor, which makes sense given that he says he sometimes spends five hours a day working on his Vermeer site.

“It might be hard to believe, but there are people traipsing around the world all the time in search of these kinds of paintings,” he said. “And I guess I hear from them because they want to find somebody else who knows why they’re doing this kind of crazy thing.”

With longing, he added, “I wish I could be in New York right now.”

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:00:59 am by Aloysius J. Gleek »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
Vanity Fair: Reverse-Engineering a Genius (Has a Vermeer Mystery Been Solved?)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 11:50:49 pm »

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2013/11/vermeer-secret-tool-mirrors-lenses

culture
Reverse-Engineering a
Genius
(Has a Vermeer Mystery Been Solved?)

David Hockney and others have speculated—controversially—
that a camera obscura could have helped the Dutch painter
Vermeer achieve his photo-realistic effects in the 1600s. But
no one understood exactly how such a device might actually
have been used to paint masterpieces. An inventor in Texas—
the subject of a new documentary by the magicians
Penn & Teller—may have solved the riddle.

By Kurt Andersen
November 29, 2013

Left, Tim Jenison, with part of the optical apparatus he created above him, at work in his San Antonio studio.
Right, Vermeer’s The Music Lesson, the painting Jenison chose to re-create.

Left, courtesy of Tim Jenison.

In the history of art, Johannes Vermeer is almost as mysterious and unfathomable as Shakespeare in literature, like a character in a novel. Accepted into his local Dutch painters’ guild in 1653, at age 21, with no recorded training as an apprentice, he promptly begins painting masterful, singular, uncannily realistic pictures of light-filled rooms and ethereal young women. After his death, at 43, he and his minuscule oeuvre slip into obscurity for two centuries. Then, just as photography is making highly realistic painting seem pointless, the photorealistic “Sphinx of Delft” is rediscovered and his pictures are suddenly deemed valuable. By the time of the first big American show of Vermeer paintings—at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, in 1909—their value has increased another hundred times, by the 1920s ten times that.

Despite occasional speculation over the years that an optical device somehow enabled Vermeer to paint his pictures, the art-history establishment has remained adamant in its romantic conviction: maybe he was inspired somehow by lens-projected images, but his only exceptional tool for making art was his astounding eye, his otherworldly genius.

Jenison’s finished painting, the product of years’ worth of work.
(Click image to enlarge, click
here then click again in the image)

Courtesy of Tim Jenison.

At the beginning of this century, however, two experts of high standing begged to differ. Why, for instance, did Vermeer paint things in the foreground and shiny highlights on objects slightly out of focus? Because, they say, he was looking at them through a lens. By itself, Vermeer’s Camera: Uncovering the Truth Behind the Masterpieces, by a London architecture professor named Philip Steadman, might have stirred a minor academic fuss. But a mainstream controversy was provoked—conferences, headlines, outrage, name-calling—because a second, more sweeping and provocative argument was made by one of the most famous living painters, David Hockney. Hockney argued in Secret Knowledge: Rediscovering the Lost Techniques of Old Masters, that not only Vermeer but many great painters from the 15th century on must have secretly used lens-and-mirror contraptions to achieve their photorealistic effects.

Leading art historians were unpersuaded. Hockney, people said, was just jealous because he lacks the old masters’ skills. “I don’t oppose the notion that Vermeer in some way responded to the camera obscura,” said Walter Liedtke, then as now the Met’s curator of European paintings (including its five Vermeers), “but I do oppose drastic devaluations of the role of art.”

Meanwhile, in San Antonio, Texas, Tim Jenison knew nothing of the brouhaha. Jenison, now 58, is the founder of NewTek, where he has made a fortune inventing hardware and software for video production and post-production. He is a nonstop tinkerer in the rest of his life as well: building giant model airplanes and battle robots, and learning to fly helicopters. Curious, careful, soft-spoken, and comfortably schlumpy, he comes across more as a neighborhood professor you might see at Home Depot than as a guy who owns his own jet.

But in 2002, one of his daughters, then a student at the Rhode Island School of Design, recommended he read Secret Knowledge. “And Steadman,” Jenison says, “really got me thinking hard.” As a guy who has spent his whole career reproducing and manipulating visual images, and contemplating the deep nuts and bolts of how our eyes see differently than cameras do, Jenison had a strong hunch that Hockney and Steadman were right.

However, the Hockney-Steadman theories were just that—theories, experimentally undemonstrated. As the nay-saying historian James Elkins (of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago) observed in 2001, “the optical procedures posited in Hockney’s book are all radically undertested,” and “no one, including myself, knows what it is really like to get inside a camera obscura”—a lens projecting a perfect image of one side of a room onto a surface equidistant on the other side—“and make a painting.” Jenison decided to construct a version of a device that Vermeer himself could have built and used. And since he had no training or experience as an artist whatsoever, he figured he was the ideal beta user of whatever he rigged up.

He was in no rush. His R&D period lasted five years. He went to the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. “Looking at their Vermeers,” he says, “I had an epiphany”—the first of several. “The photographic tone is what jumped out at me. Why was Vermeer so realistic? Because he got the values right,” meaning the color values. “Vermeer got it right in ways that the eye couldn’t see. It looked to me like Vermeer was painting in a way that was impossible. I jumped into studying art.”

He traveled to Delft again and again, scouting the places where Vermeer had painted. He learned to read Dutch. He paid for translations of old Latin texts on optics and art. Much later, he did a computer analysis of a high-resolution scan of a Vermeer interior, and discovered “an exponential relationship in the light on the white wall.” The brightness of any surface becomes exponentially less bright the farther it is from a light source—but the unaided human eye doesn’t register that. According to Jenison, the painting he digitally deconstructed shows just such a diminution from light to dark.

But still, exactly how did Vermeer do it? One day, in the bathtub, Jenison had a eureka moment: a mirror. If the lens focused its image onto a small, angled mirror, and the mirror was placed just between the painter’s eye and the canvas, by glancing back and forth he could copy that bit of image until the color and tone precisely matched the reflected bit of reality. Five years ago, Jenison tried it out on the kitchen table. He took a black-and-white photograph and mounted it upside down, since a lens would project an image upside down. He put a round two-inch mirror on a stand between the photo and his painting surface. He immediately found that “when the color is the same, the mirror edge disappears,” and you’re through with that bit. Five hours later, he had painted a perfect duplicate of the photo, an astounding proof of concept by someone who can’t draw and had never painted a thing. Then he used his mirror trick to copy a color photo. Again, perfect. “I couldn’t believe my eyes,” he says. But while that was all well and good, it wasn’t remotely Vermeerian.

Jenison with the harpsichord he built. Piece by piece, the tech inventor constructed a life-size reproduction of Vermeer’s room.

Courtesy of Tim Jenison.

The Vermeer he decided to reproduce is The Music Lesson, 29 inches by 25: a girl at a harpsichord, her male teacher standing at her side, the Delft north light flooding the room through leaded-glass windows. “My whole experiment was about getting the colors right. Colors are all determined by the lighting in the room. And The Music Lesson shows you the exact position of the windows.” But the challenge was immense, because in order to reproduce the painting with the help of a camera obscura, Jenison would first have to build an exact reproduction of the room in the original painting, and of everything in it.

Around that time Jenison happened to get a call from his old friend Penn Jillette, the larger, voluble half of Penn & Teller, in Las Vegas. “I hadn’t had an adult conversation outside of work in a year,” Jillette says. “I needed to talk to somebody who has nothing to do with work and is not a child.” Jenison flew to Vegas that day. Jillette recalls, “I said, ‘Talk to me about something that isn’t show biz.’ Tim said, ‘How about Vermeer? I’m working on this project….’” First Penn and then Teller immediately got it.

“I was so sucked in,” Jillette says. “Because I want everything to be a magic trick! The idea of an amateur coming in and understanding things experts can’t see—that’s a very American kind of plotline. I said, ‘Don’t do anything else. Stop everything. You’ve got to make a movie out of this.’” A movie, like … a little thing on YouTube? No, Jillette insisted, a real documentary. In Los Angeles the next day they had half a dozen pitch meetings with TV executives. According to Jillette, “Some of them thought they were being punked. And Tim said, ‘I’m really not liking these meetings.’” So instead they enlisted Teller as director and decided to finance and make the documentary themselves.

“We didn’t know the outcome,” says Teller, whose father was a commercial artist and mother an amateur painter. “The question did seriously arise: Is this going to work or not? I asked Tim, ‘What if this doesn’t succeed?’ He said, ‘Then there won’t be a movie.’ I said, ‘Yes, there will be—it’ll just be a different one.’” Penn and Teller installed cameras in Jenison’s studio to record everything. In the end, they would have 2,400 hours of video to turn into an 80-minute movie, now called Tim’s Vermeer, which Sony is releasing nationally in February. David Stork, an imaging scientist and former Stanford professor with a side career in computer-aided art analysis, was the major scientific critic of Hockney and Steadman a decade ago. One of his main counterarguments was that using only a camera obscura, Vermeer would have had to paint upside down and the projected image would be too dim to be useful. Jenison figured out that using a second mirror solves both problems. So in his apparatus, the image is projected through the 4-inch lens onto a 7-inch concave mirror on the opposite wall, and then onto the 2-inch-by-4-inch mirror he’d have right in front of his face as he painted. A second mirror makes the image right side up and not backward. And it has the added advantage of making the image reflected in the little second mirror, the bit he’s actually copying, vastly brighter and clearer.

For his experimental purposes—using a device that Vermeer himself could have made—Jenison decided that modern lenses are too fine. So he learned how to make lenses himself, to melt and polish glass using 17th-century techniques. Jenison painted only with pigments available in the late 1600s and learned to mix them himself, including grinding lapis lazuli stones (“they’re kind of poisonous,” he points out) to make ultramarine blue.

Vermeer painted The Music Lesson in a first-floor room in his mother-in-law’s house. “We know, historically, everything about that room in Delft. And this building”—Jenison was now referring to his little one-story warehouse in Texas—“has the same north-northwest angle to the sun.” Because the buildings across the Oude Langendijk canal would have blocked some of the light, Jenison erected false Dutch façades outside on the San Antonio pavement. Inside, piece by piece, he constructed a life-size reproduction of Vermeer’s room—wooden beams, checkerboard floor, plastered walls. He had the porcelain platter made, and the pitcher on it, by a potter in Delft. He made the chair himself, copying one in a Delft museum. He also built the prop harpsichord. “I started off going as authentic as possible,” Jenison says. “I realized I could commission or learn to make stained glass. But I decided I didn’t need another major hobby at that point in time. I cheated on the glass.” The stained-glass windows are in fact stained Plexiglas. All the physical preparations took about eight months.

When I first talked with Jenison, three years ago, in his fully completed fake Delft music room, he was six weeks into the painting, working every afternoon for a couple of hours. He had just completed the checkerboard floor. He thought the technique seemed to be working. But he had another eight months of almost daily work ahead of him. He was proceeding through trial and error, millimeter by millimeter, fiddling with the paint until the edge he saw between the tiny piece of image in his mirror and on his painted picture dissolved and disappeared.

He was rigorous about painting only what he saw in his mirror, rather than referring to a reproduction of the Vermeer. Or to his gobsmacking memory of examining the real thing for 30 minutes on a wall in Buckingham Palace, wearing a surgeon’s binocular magnifiers. “We talked the Queen into showing it to us. I was, ‘Oh my God.’ It’s totally different from the reproductions. It’s more muted and bluish.” The biggest differences were the crazily meticulous details—the silver thread at the bottom of the woman’s skirt, the key ring on the teacher. In terms of detail, “It was goofy what he did on the harpsichord. It was eye-opening, astounding to see. I had no idea. My biggest takeaway was that I was an idiot. There’s so much in it.”

When I talked to him again recently, long after the painting and Teller’s documentary were done, I asked about his learning curve over the 220 hours he spent with brush in hand. “I started with the ceiling beams. They look horrible. I hadn’t thinned the paint. I was worried about how you make a smooth gradient, so my daughter showed me that. My brush stroke did get better. By the time I got to the rug I knew how to handle the brush. Not that I could sit down and paint anything today without the apparatus. It’d be a piece of shit.”

Jenison still sounds a little surprised at how he has spent so much of the past decade. He believes he fully succeeded in his mission, but being who he is, he’s not exactly doing an end-zone dance. “It’s probably kind of important” is as far as he’ll go. When we first met, he told me he was 80 percent sure Vermeer used an optical apparatus and a procedure something like his own. After he finished his picture, his confidence was up to 90 percent. Lately, after examining a high-resolution scan of the painting provided by Buckingham Palace, he’s 95 percent sure. The most doubt-inducing part of the mystery for him remains how Vermeer kept the trade secret secret. “That’s the killer argument. That’s the best one there is. I’ve got a file of counterarguments to my own theory.”

But his collaborators aren’t fazed at all by the conspiracy-of-silence issue. “How much of history is lost!” Teller says. “We’re not talking about an age where people put things up on the Internet. There are magic tricks whose descriptions don’t exist.” And Jillette is emphatic, as he tends to be: “Tim’s device is Vermeer’s device! I have no doubt. Tim can give you all the doubt you want, but I have none. It’s not the kind of thing you write down! The photorealistic painters of our time, none of them share their techniques. The Spiderman people aren’t talking to the Avatar people. When David Copperfield and I have lunch, we aren’t giving away absolutely everything.”

The crux of the resistance to the idea that Vermeer invented and used an optical device, beyond technical and historiographic issues, is that it diminishes our sense of Vermeer’s genius. But great artists in every age use clever new tools and technologies. You could give all the digital contraptions Alfonso Cuarón used on Gravity to a hack director and he’d make a crappy movie. Pro Tools software doesn’t turn a mediocre musician into a great one, but great ones depend on it. Chuck Close bases paintings on photographs and uses a mechanical lift to move his enormous canvases around as he works on them. As Jenison says of the history of art, “perspective is an algorithm, a ‘device’” invented in the 15th century to paint more realistic illusions.

“One of the things I learned about the world of art,” Teller says, “is there are people who really want to believe in magic, that artists are supernatural beings—there was some guy who could walk up and do that. But art is work like anything else—concentration, physical pain. Part of the subject of this movie is that a great work of art should seem to have magically sprung like a miracle on the wall. But to get that miracle is an enormous, aggravating pain.” To see Vermeer as “a god” makes him “a discouraging bore,” Teller went on. But if you think of him as a genius artist and an inventor, he becomes a hero: “Now he can inspire.”

And Tim Jenison—definitely not a great artist, but certainly a great artificer—is inspiring too, whether or not Vermeer used a device like the one Jenison used in Texas. When I ask what new quest he’s on, Jenison says, “I don’t have a current obsession. I’m between obsessions.”

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/tim-s-vermeer/review/630089

Tim's Vermeer
Film Review

by Todd McCarthy
9/16/2013 6:00 PM PDT

A documentary that demonstrates
how a savvy and dedicated amateur
with sufficient resources was able
to create a remarkable likeness of a
great 17th century painting.

The Bottom Line: A captivating look at a high-tech inventor who presumes to replicate the work of a great painter.

The connection between art and technology is explored in an entertaining and accessible way in Tim's Vermeer, a documentary that demonstrates how a savvy and dedicated amateur with sufficient resources was able to create a remarkable likeness of a great 17th century painting. With his partner Teller behind the camera, illusionist-comic-commentator Penn Jillette takes the viewer by the hand as the team's computer graphics inventor friend Tim Jenison genially demonstrates his painstaking efforts to get everything right and, in the process, furthers the argument that Dutch master Johannes Vermeer achieved his brilliant effects with the help of a camera obscura. Sony Pictures Classics should have no trouble attracting upscale, arts-oriented audiences to this delight.

Jenison's epic undertaking, which spanned, by his own count, 1,825 days, was to faithfully reproduce one of Vermeer's great paintings, The Music Lesson, which depicts a young woman and her teacher at a harpsichord and is typical of the artist in its use of side window light and a simple setting. In no respect an artist himself, Jenison was motivated by a theory promulgated in two widely discussed books published in 2001, artist David Hockney's Secret Knowledge: Rediscovering the Lost Techniques of the Old Masters and architect-professor Philip Steadman's Vermeer's Camera: Uncovering the Truth Behind the Masterpieces. The hypothesis, first advanced by American photographer Joseph Pennell in 1891, is that Vermeer was able to achieve his exceptional effects not just by eyeballing his subjects but through the use of “projected images,” achieved via mirrors and lenses, that he could trace.

That Vermeer, who died in 1675, had access to camera obscura equipment is generally accepted; whether he used it or not is essentially unprovable. Infuriated art historians circled their wagons to defend their turf against the outsiders, no matter how august, lashing out at the intrusion of technology into the sacrosanct realm of artistic inspiration. Still, Vermeer's work, and especially the luminosity and richness of his colors, which make it appear that he was “painting with light,” has for more than three centuries made scholars wonder about his “secret,” something Jenison approaches in the most analytical and industrious way possible.

While bantering with Jillette, who's an inquisitive and enthusiastic presence throughout, Jenison makes very clear his amateur status, that he's “a video guy,” but then, as a test, proceeds to “paint” a none-too-shabby portrait of his father-in-law on top of a black-and-white projected image of his photograph. He visits Vermeer's hometown, Delft, in the Netherlands, with an eye to precisely reproducing the artist's room in an industrial building in San Antonio, a process which itself took seven months.

Another issue is that the picture Jenison intends to paint isn't available to be viewed by the public; it's in Buckingham Palace, where he finally is permitted to regard it for 30 minutes. His verdict: “Reproductions don't do it any justice at all.”

While Tim the connoisseur ruminates about the creative aspects of his endeavor, Tim the laborer goes about his business, meticulously grinding his own pigments, making lenses according to era-appropriate methods and forging his argument that, in the Golden Age under consideration, “art and technology were one and the same.”

In the end, the protestations of art historians notwithstanding, this is a position that will almost inevitably be increasingly embraced in the modern world. There is scarcely an art form that remains immune to technological advances or that does not involve electronics, machines or new materials in its production or presentation. The remarkable result Jenison achieves -- Hockney and Steadman are both very keen when they see it -- doesn't undercut Vermeer's original accomplishment at all but perhaps removes it slightly from the realm of the ineffable. “How did he do it?” suddenly has a plausible answer that makes Vermeer “a fathomable genius” and, by extension, other artists less godlike and more approachable.

Venues: Telluride, Toronto film festivals

Opens: 2014 (Sony Pictures Classics)

Production: High Delft Pictures

With: Penn Jillette, Tim Jenison, Martin Mull, Philip Steadman, David Hockney, Colin Blakemore

Director: Teller

Producer: Penn Jillette

Executive producers: Peter Adam Golden, Glenn S. Alai, Farley Ziegler, Teller

Director of photography: Shane F. Kelly

Editor: Patrick Sheffield

Music: Conrad Pope

80 minutes

"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
How very interesting! I would love to see this documentary some day!

(Notice that Tim Jenison positions his figures, the student and the teacher, slightly differently than Vermeer did.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!

How very interesting! I would love to see this documentary some day!

I think it will be out in February--
stay tuned!
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE3vWz-OeKQ[/youtube]
How to Replicate a Vermeer

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
I may be wrong but I thought The Music Lesson was one of the paintings stolen from the Isabella Gardiner Museum in Boston.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
I may be wrong but I thought The Music Lesson was one of the paintings stolen from the Isabella Gardiner Museum in Boston.

Actually the stolen painting is called The Concert.  It's been valued at over $200 million, making it the most valuable uncovered stolen painting.  There is a $5 million reward!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Actually the stolen painting is called The Concert.  It's been valued at over $200 million, making it the most valuable uncovered stolen painting.  There is a $5 million reward!

Now that settles it. We ought to start searching for it. Should be a piece 'a cake, especially now that we know how to replicate Vermeers. ;) ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"

Good to know that the Queen did not burglarize the Gardner.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.vulture.com/2013/12/movie-review-tims-vermeer-penn-teller.html

Ebiri on Tim’s Vermeer:
Penn and Teller Attempt to
Demystify the Artistic Process

By Bilge Ebiri
Today at 1:30 PM

Penn and Teller aren’t the first magicians to make a documentary about art. One of the greatest of films, Orson Welles’s F for Fake, is all about art, forgery, and the nature of authorship; it ends the way you’d expect a movie made by a magician to end, with a last-minute, unexpected pulling-of-the-rug. Nothing quite so overt happens in Tim’s Vermeer, a charming and fairly straightforward documentary directed by Teller (the short, quiet one) and produced by Penn (the tall, loud one) about a San Antonio technologist’s attempt to re-create a Vermeer painting utilizing a fairly simple mirror technique. But interestingly, it does speak to some of the same things Welles did several decades ago — most notable, the way our modern conception of the artist-hero conflicts with the old world’s.

Of course, speculation about the technological doodads Vermeer might have utilized in his work has fueled academic controversy for years. The notoriously photo-realistic quality of his seventeenth-century paintings has led some to posit that he must have secretly used a camera obscura to help him paint. The “Tim” in Tim’s Vermeer is Tim Jenison, a Texas-based computer and video engineer who also sees something in the luminosity of these paintings — a quality he recognizes from his own work with video cameras. So, he basically devises a mirror-based contraption technique that will allow him — a tech guy with absolutely zero painting skill — to mimic Vermeer’s subtle and realistic colors, his unnatural sensitivity to light. Then, to prove that technique works, Tim decides to basically re-paint The Music Lesson. He painstakingly re-creates the room (along with all the needed furniture, décor, and costumes), in a studio, and off he goes.

Do we even want to see a movie arguing that the work of one of the greatest artists of all time could be re-created by a dude with some mirrors and no actual ability to paint? I’m not sure. But Tim’s Vermeer has more on its mind than that. In effect, Penn, Teller, and Jenison are exploring the hard border between technology and art, about the notion that any artist who uses this kind of technological aid must, in some way, be “cheating.” David Hockney actually shows up at one point to lend credence to Tim’s work and to support the notion that, back in the day, there was no real divide between inventors and artists — that innovation went hand in hand with inspiration. If an artist devised an aid that allowed him to paint better, then it was only natural he’d embrace it. The cold angles of engineering and the soft edges of creativity were not rivals but allies in the pursuit of beauty and truth. In F for Fake, Welles marveled that the Cathedral at Chartres, which he considered the crowning achievement of Western civilization, was unsigned and anonymous; nobody cared who the genius was who had designed it. In its own way, Tim’s Vermeer also questions the nature of our conception of the artist as hero – as an independent, unreal, almost superhuman spirit.

But there’s even more to it than that. Tim’s work, which ultimately takes years to complete, changes him in some ineffable way. (It also almost kills him along the way, thanks to an ill-placed patio heater.) Tim’s Vermeer starts off in a playful fashion, but as he soldiers on, our intrepid, mild-mannered technologist finds himself getting emotional. In the presence of art, something happens. By the time it’s over, don’t be surprised if you’re more in awe of the work of an artist than ever before. Maybe this is Penn and Teller’s final, subtle rug-pulling moment: An attempt to demystify the artistic process ends up posing even greater mysteries.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
http://www.vulture.com/2014/01/jerry-saltz-on-tims-vermeer.html

Jerry Saltz on
Tim’s Vermeer:
Could You Paint a Masterpiece?

By Jerry Saltz
Today at 12:51 PM

You don't paint; I don't paint. But we both like painting. Could one of us, in our first time ever picking up a brush, re-create by hand, with no one's assistance, an exact replica of one of the most beautifully complex paintings in art history — Johannes Vermeer's The Music Lesson ? The question is like something out of a Borges short story, imagining the impossible possibility of a one-to-one scale map of the world that covers the world, or the old statistical saw about monkeys and typewriters. The mind-blowing answer given in this documentary foray into the depths of human drive is: Not only can this be done, but we can see it, over the course of 80 quietly intense minutes. Far from deflating our sense of art or giving the lie to past definitions of artistic ability, Tim's Vermeer, which opens in New York this weekend, proves that the way to greatness is always in redefining skill and following obsession. If this film doesn't leave you saying "Holy shit!" nothing will.

Produced by Penn Jillette and Farley Ziegler and directed by Penn's magician partner Teller, the film begins with a fiftysomething hippie type with a bushy white beard saying "I have this goal of painting a Vermeer." Before you can say "Don't we all?" he adds, "It will be truly remarkable if I do it ... I'm not a painter." I'll say. This Obi-Wan guy turns out to be Tim Jenison, a Texas-based inventor of, among other marvelous things, some of the earliest video digitizers. In other words, he knows the difference between the way a camera sees and the way video sees. This turns out to be major. Tim's made a lot of money from his inventions, so he also has the time and finances to embark on this tilting-at-windmills task.

We see him go to Vermeer’s house in Delft and take pictures of the town, and meet with David Hockney in Yorkshire in order to consult about the theory that Vermeer used a camera obscura to paint. Tim goes to Buckingham Palace to see the painting and gets denied, but a half-hour later tries again and is given a private audience with the Vermeer. Next we see him rent a warehouse in San Antonio, cut out concrete walls to make the dimensions right, grind his own lens, mix his own pigments, calculate and design the room where The Music Lesson is set, and build replicas of all the furniture and objects in the room. You want to feel bad about quitting a project because you didn't know how to do something? Watch Tim use a lathe to make furniture and remark, "I've never used one of these before."

Then he sets out to do this thing. The key to Tim's discovery is that he comes to realize, with his video-vision, that Vermeer wasn't only using a camera obscura as Hockey and researcher Philip Steadman surmised in their wonderful film and book Secret Knowledge: Rediscovering Techniques of the Old Masters. Tim deduces through optics and color studies that Vermeer had to be using something else. He figures out — in a way that I still don't entirely understand — that a mirror set at a 45-degree angle and the artist bobbing his head up and down, truing the edge of the art with the mirror, is also involved.

Even with this squirrelly discovery, the rest will be familiar to anyone who's ever set out to make something and then, for whatever inner reasons, must keep making it, no matter what. Tim's Vermeer is a real allegory of obsession, possession, commitment, and love. One of my favorite scenes — because it's so familiar to me — is when we see him on around Day 111 of his Herculean labor, bent over his painting, back frozen, body aching, alone, saying to the camera, "This is making me nauseous." He presses on, somehow knowing what all artists know in their bones; it's all about the process and what it demands.

Finally, after eight years of research and preparation and 130 days of painting, we see the finished product framed over a bed. It may lack that something extra that Vermeer brings, the touch, blending, facture, and surety. But Tim's Vermeer is otherwise perfect. He cries. So did I.

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.

Vermeer’s “Girl With a Pearl Earring” is on loan to the Frick.

There was an interesting story on NPR's TED Radio Hour yesterday about how the author Tracy Chevalier saw a copy of Vermeer's "Girl With a Pearl Earring" in her sister's apartment in Cambridge and imagined the story that became the book and, later, a movie. Did you know that her sister is a Brokie? I met her in Boston when I went to the AIDS team walk a couple of years ago.

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/20/186309064/how-do-you-find-a-story-in-a-painting
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
I'll have to listen to the TED talk some other day, it sounds interesting.

Yes, I have met her Brokie sister at a couple of events. She's written some rather outstanding Brokeback fanfic herself. Her stories are like nobody else's.
The writing skills must run in the family!  :D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre