Author Topic: Nominate Brokeback Mountain for National Film Registry  (Read 36458 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Nominate Brokeback Mountain for National Film Registry
« on: December 01, 2013, 02:54:20 pm »
As BayCityJohn pointed out on facebook, 2014 is the first year we can nominate BBM. Lets make this happen.

http://www.loc.gov/film/vote.html

Now Accepting Your Selections
for the 2014 Film Registry
Your voice is important!

Librarian of Congress James H. Billington seeks nominations for the National Film Registry. Public nominations play a key role when the Librarian of Congress and Film Board are considering their final selections. To be eligible for the Registry, a film must be at least 10 years old and be “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.”

Congress first established the National Film Registry in the 1988 National Film Preservation Act, and most recently extended the Registry with passage of the Library of Congress Sound Recording and Film Preservation Programs Reauthorization Act of 2008 (PL110-336). Along with mandating continuing implementation of a plan to save the American film heritage, this law authorizes the Librarian of Congress (after reviewing public suggestions and consulting extensively with film experts and the 44 members and alternates of the National Film Preservation Board) to select up to 25 films each year for inclusion in the Registry. New selections are usually announced at the end of December.

The 600 films chosen to date illustrate the vibrant diversity of American film-making, and range from well-known Hollywood classics (Born Yesterday, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Casablanca, A Christmas Story, Forrest Gump, A League of Their Own, and Silence of the Lambs) to landmark independent, documentary and avant-garde masterpieces (One Survivor Remembers, Two-Lane Blacktop, They Call It Pro Football, and The Times of Harvey Milk).

For consideration, please forward recommendations (limit 50 titles per year) via email to: [email protected]. Looking for ideas on possible films to nominate? Check here for hundreds of titles not yet selected to the National Film Registry. Please include the date of the film nominated, and number your recommendations, please. And if you would, please tell us how you learned of the Registry.

Email is preferred; however, to submit via regular mail, send your nominations to:
    National Film Registry
    Library of Congress
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Nominate Brokeback Mountain for National Film Registry
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 02:30:16 am »
But BBM came out in 2005. Doesn't this mean it has to wait at least one more year? Or rather even two years, since the newest movies on their possibly list are from 2003, not 04.

Can someone clarify?

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 12:56:44 pm »
That is a good point.

Offline drossloc

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 02:09:33 pm »
You are correct: Brokeback Mountain is not eligible to be considered for the National Film Registry until 2015. But please feel free to nominate it then. In the meantime, you may send your nominations for the 2014 Registry to me at [email protected]. Thanks for recognizing the National Film Registry and the work of the Library of Congress National Film Preservation Board.

Donna Ross
Boards Assistant
National Film Preservation Board

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 03:00:56 pm »
WOW! That is cool. I understand from BayCityJohn that the 2015 nomination can begin in October of 2014, so we'll have to bump this thread up a bit when then time nears.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 03:50:16 pm »
You are correct: Brokeback Mountain is not eligible to be considered for the National Film Registry until 2015. But please feel free to nominate it then. In the meantime, you may send your nominations for the 2014 Registry to me at [email protected]. Thanks for recognizing the National Film Registry and the work of the Library of Congress National Film Preservation Board.

Donna Ross
Boards Assistant
National Film Preservation Board

Hello and welcome to BetterMost!

Thank you for your kind reply. What a lovely surprise to hear directly form someone of the National Film Registry.
We'll make sure to nominate Brokeback Mountain when the time has come. After all, our whole website is dedicated to this outstanding film. Have a look around our forums, if you're inclined.

Thanks again for clarifying the situation about the years.

Best regards,
Penthesilea
BetterMost Administration

Offline drossloc

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 03:58:07 pm »
You're most welcome! We appreciate the recognition for the Registry. No specific date yet when nominations will open for 2015, but as your reader mentioned it will be some time in the fall -- probably mid September thru first week in October. Please check out our website for more details.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 06:15:31 pm »
Sorry if my FB post was a bit confusing.

I was on the LOC website researching film preservation when I noticed the announcement for 2014 nominations, and I posted on FB to make everyone aware that we could nominate BBM next year. I like to plan ahead  ;D

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 10:38:46 pm »
I'm in!   :)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 06:16:08 pm »
It would be a good way to mark the 10th anniversary, and perhaps a celebratory Brokie gathering. ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!