Author Topic: Zero at the Bone by MadLori  (Read 220981 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: Zero at the Bone by MadLori
« Reply #220 on: January 11, 2008, 09:04:55 pm »
**possible plot spoiler**

I liked this chapter immensely, I felt Jack's fears and doubts made the whole story more grounded in reality.... Transition from a nearly surreal hyper-existence, living intensely on a knife's edge at all times - to a life filled with ordinary everyday events - and with time for reflection and introspection.

I admit I have been struggling more than a bit with the plot point of Jack and D not meeting up again for 3 years (which I think has been mentioned previously in Lori's comments) - because I thought the reason for this would be that D would be unable to locate Jack given the Witness protection thing. And I thought that was a real stretch for me to believe in - when they could easily enough have agreed some way to get in touch, or D could get info via Churchill or Megen, etc. I also struggled with believing in any significantly increased risk of the brothers finding Jack even if he and D were meeting up and staying close, which had previously also been mentioned as a reason for the two of them to not get in touch and to stay in the dark about each other's whereabouts.

This chapter totally removed my issues with their staying apart, I don't have to suspend disbelief anymore, - as this gave me a reason that I could believe in, one that made complete sense both in terms of D's character and the plot. I totally bought D's note and his inability to face meeting up with Jack only for them to part again. Given the intensity of his emotions and loss of control on display in that horrible last scene with Josie I can see how D believes - or fears - that meeting Jack again would destroy his ability to keep his emotions under lock and key once and for all, thus making it impossible to focus single-mindedly on his goal - which ultimately is worth it to him missing Jack for a long period,  as it's all about giving Jack his old life back in some sort of atonement.  

Zero keeps surprising me in the best way: Chapter upon chapter presents some (or much!!) development I wasn't expecting (ie. in this one;  Jack's courageously clearly-voiced and numerous insecurities, doubts and misgivings, including those concerning D's shady hitman character past), but once I've read it, I just can't see at all how it could have been any different! That's really good writing - the best!!

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Remember - Jack Nasty loves you.
« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2008, 02:53:04 am »
**possible plot spoiler**

I admit I have been struggling more than a bit with the plot point of Jack and D not meeting up again for 3 years (which I think has been mentioned previously in Lori's comments)

I've said that three years will pass between Zero and its sequel, but I never said that Jack and D would be apart for those three years.  I did say they'd have a period of separation, and we're in the midst of it now, but I never said it'd be a three year separation.
Jack:  I could kick your ass any day of the week.
Ennis:  Then the weeks where you live must have a No Fuckin' Way Day.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #222 on: January 12, 2008, 06:30:13 am »
Thank you for the clarification, I'd obviously misunderstood that. Well good on them - and on us -  if they're not going to be apart that long!  :)  Nevertheless, even if they're apart for a shorter while than that, my point still stands firmly about being happier about the current part of the plot now cause it makes much better sense to me.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #223 on: March 06, 2008, 05:22:55 am »
New chapter up-perfect timing with all the craziness happening (again  :( ) at LJ

Heathen

mvansand76

« Reply #224 on: March 06, 2008, 06:02:19 am »
New chapter up-perfect timing with all the craziness happening (again  :( ) at LJ

What's happening at lj, Roux?

Can't wait to come home and read this...

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #225 on: March 06, 2008, 06:44:39 am »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #226 on: March 06, 2008, 11:17:37 am »
Yeehaw!!!  This is so exciting!  I also can't wait to read this later this evening! 8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #227 on: March 06, 2008, 04:22:32 pm »
What's happening at lj, Roux?

Can't wait to come home and read this...

Huge devisiveness over Jake. It is all so stupid-but everyone is so over the top emotionally I have to cut them some slack. I just wish folks could disagree without getting so flipppin' superior and nasty. So many people have a need to be validated by having others agree with them and that's what is going on over there.

Anyway, back to the topic-I'm home sickish so I can't wait to finish reading Lori's latest installment.

Heathen

mvansand76

« Reply #228 on: March 06, 2008, 05:18:15 pm »
Huge devisiveness over Jake. It is all so stupid-but everyone is so over the top emotionally I have to cut them some slack. I just wish folks could disagree without getting so flipppin' superior and nasty. So many people have a need to be validated by having others agree with them and that's what is going on over there.

Anyway, back to the topic-I'm home sickish so I can't wait to finish reading Lori's latest installment.

Hahaha I am happily oblivious to the whole thing! :)

Hope you feel better soon, rouxb!  :-*

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #229 on: March 06, 2008, 05:46:47 pm »
Hunh.  I didn't know there was controversy over Jake over at LJ either. :(  It sounds depressing.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie