Author Topic: "You're good enough"  (Read 9717 times)

injest

Re: "You're good enough"
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 08:11:44 am »
but a relative you see occassionally is different from living with a person. As passive/aggresive and angry as Alma was, I cannot imagine that she didn't talk to her sister or make little comments here and there about Ennis going off with Jack so much. Parents tend to think of their kids as nonpersons when it comes to overhearing things...they are always there so we tend to forget they are listening.

and after the scene at Thanksgiving, you notice that little Jenny doesn't show up again...hmmmm??

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 08:21:52 am »
I don't think Junior ( or Cassie) knew Ennis was gay.

Often family members are blind to the thought because they love the person so much.    As a gay Teen, I spent alot of time with my Aunt on vacations.   She was a lesbian but I never knew it.    It was only after her funeral that all these other lesbians showed up that I was shocked!     How could I of all people miss that?   Denial?   

My parents had suspected all these years.    But I didn't despite all the clues.   I loved her for who she was.   Her being single all her life was not unusual to me.   To me she was just this non-feminine, athletic, lonely spinster living with 30 or 40 cats.    Go figure.

So I think it is possible that Junior didn't know.    Perhaps she was clinging to the idea her Dad and Mom would get back together eventually?   A lot of kids of divorces wish that.    After she married Monroe however, that hope was dashed.   Then Cassie was just "good enough" yet still in the way of her time with Ennis.

Cassies "I don't get you Ennis DelMar" certainly confirms that she had no clue.   Alot of girls who suspect a boyfriend is gay will dismiss the idea because the guy is having sex with them.   They figure :"If he was gay he wouldn't want sex right?"   Trust me,  I have heard that exclaimed from girls before!

I think Alma jr's case was different because of Alma. We don't get enough information about how Alma really reacted to Ennis's fishing trips, when Ennis wasn't around. But children hear and sense stuff, and they usually know more about their parents than most people believe. And I think they show it in the movie, when Ennis comes home from the Motel Siesta to pick up his stuff and tells  Alma he's going "fishing". Alma Junior, who was about three years old at the moment, apparently overhears the entire conversation, because she comes out running asking her dad to bring her a big fish. And it looked like she just hopped out from bed, because she was still wearing her pjs. So I can easily imagine her as she grows up overhearing Alma crying or their fight during the thanksgiving dinner. I have a hearing disability so I could not do this when I was a kid, but my sister used to overhear every single conversation and fight my parents had before divorcing. She knew more or less what was going on.

It's possible that she didn't quite understad what was happening to Ennis and what was the deal with Jack Twist, but she must have known there was something going on, because she knew her father wasn't the marrying kind. I don't think she wanted her parents to be back together not after so many years divorced.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 08:24:33 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 08:28:44 am »
I think that Cassie not only is unaware that Ennis is gay, but also thinks that his indifference means that something is wrong with her. So whether Junior knows that Ennis is gay -- and David has a really good point, though maybe it's possible that she doesn't consider the possibility that he's gay, but she's somehow aware that he really isn't into women? -- that's not the point that Cassie gets.

And in a way, her dragging him onto the floor to dance could be another way that she keeps trying harder to be "the one."

By the way, did you notice how Cassie seems to get, hmmm, more drab or something as time goes on? I mean, Cassie's incredibly gorgeous and vivaceous the first time we see her, and she's got this spring to her (or maybe that's just the work she puts into her hair). But later on, her hair gets less curly, and she gradually looks less and less perky.

In a way, it's kind of like what happens to Lureen -- she gets less and less attractive as time goes by. And it isn't age, in particular... it's the way she becomes harder and more brittle.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 05:50:59 pm »
By the way, did you notice how Cassie seems to get, hmmm, more drab or something as time goes on? I mean, Cassie's incredibly gorgeous and vivaceous the first time we see her, and she's got this spring to her (or maybe that's just the work she puts into her hair). But later on, her hair gets less curly, and she gradually looks less and less perky.

A little OT, but my kids were watching Scooby Doo the other day and I happened through the room and said, "Who is that playing Velma? She looks so familiar!" For some reason the actress reminded me faintly of BBM, but she didn't look much like Michelle Williams and not at all like Anne Hathaway ... Well, you guessed it.

Here's what Cassie would look like after a few more years with Ennis. I mean the one in red. A few years more, and she'd be the one in green.  :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2006, 07:27:47 pm »
Sign seen in Casper: Reelect Keith Goodenough. I kid you not!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 02:16:48 pm »
Bumping another oldie-but-goodie.
 :)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie