Author Topic: As close as I can come to watching the movie....  (Read 8319 times)

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
As close as I can come to watching the movie....
« on: January 16, 2014, 02:27:51 pm »
I've seen a couple youtubes done to "Spiritual", I just saw this one for the first time.  I think it's very well done, and it still makes me cry, so I know I'm not up for the movie.  Although I would like to see it, I know it would be too sad for me, still.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPE9BdHN1BI[/youtube]
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: As close as I can come to watching the movie....
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 03:01:43 pm »
Oh, that's a beautiful one, BF!

I love that music.

I sitll prefer the video where "Spiritual" is set to the Dozy Embrace in slow motion, but this one is really good too.

Thanks for sharing it.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 04:18:46 pm »
Nice, BF. This seems to be pretty much all the highlights of the movie that had Jack and/or Ennis in them. Alma and Lureen are missing. Did you know that, when she was preparing to write the dozy embrace passage, Annie Proulx drove all around southern Wyoming playing Pat Metheny's version of Spiritual? You probably knew that, but it bears repeating in remembrance of Throwback Thursday.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline morrobay

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:11:51 am »
Oh, that's a beautiful one, BF!

I love that music.

I sitll prefer the video where "Spiritual" is set to the Dozy Embrace in slow motion, but this one is really good too.

Thanks for sharing it.

Yes, the slow motion to the DE is my favorite, too.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:15:49 am »
Nice, BF. This seems to be pretty much all the highlights of the movie that had Jack and/or Ennis in them. Alma and Lureen are missing. Did you know that, when she was preparing to write the dozy embrace passage, Annie Proulx drove all around southern Wyoming playing Pat Metheny's version of Spiritual? You probably knew that, but it bears repeating in remembrance of Throwback Thursday.

I did hear that she listened to it constantly while trying to get the wording perfect for that paragraph, and it seems to have worked!

I always have the story open on my computer, so:

What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.

They had stood that way for a long time in front of the fire, its burning tossing ruddy chunks of light, the shadow of their bodies a single column against the rock. The minutes ticked by from the round watch in Ennis's pocket, from the sticks in the fire settling into coals. Stars bit through the wavy heat layers above the fire. Ennis's breath came slow and quiet, he hummed, rocked a little in the sparklight and Jack leaned against the steady heartbeat, the vibrations of the humming like faint electricity and, standing, he fell into sleep that was not sleep but something else drowsy and tranced until Ennis, dredging up a rusty but still useable phrase from the childhood time before his mother died, said, "Time to hit the hay, cowboy. I got a go. Come on, you're sleepin on your feet like a horse," and gave Jack a shake, a push, and went off in the darkness. Jack heard his spurs tremble as he mounted, the words "see you tomorrow," and the horse's shuddering snort, grind of hoof on stone.

Later, that dozy embrace solidified in his memory as the single moment of artless, charmed happiness in their separate and difficult lives. Nothing marred it, even the knowledge that Ennis would not then embrace him face to face because he did not want to see nor feel that it was Jack he held. And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that. Let be, let be.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 01:10:56 pm »
*sigh*....

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 08:01:54 pm »
Great video......my fave will always be the one set to Nickelback's "Far Away".

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!