Author Topic: Quinceanera  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Quinceanera
« on: October 17, 2006, 02:07:49 pm »
Okay here goes my attempt at writing a review:

You need to see this movie. It is set in Echo Park, a neighborhood of Los Angeles in 2005. Begining with the Quinceanera of an affluent cousin in an extended Mexican American family. The subsequent part is crashed by the black sheep of the family, a young man who has gone to live with a batchelor Great great uncle who holds the clan together after his father has thrown him out for being gay. They live in a "back house" behind a house recently bought by a yuppy gay couple, demonstrating the shift in demographic that Proulx would find a story in somewhere.

Uncle and nephew are joined by a neice who had become pregnant at 14 and thrown out by her minister father, and is denighed by the baby's father. She is also still a virgin. I know but that WHY you need to see the film.

Nephew takes up with one of the guys in the house which leads to the family being evicted, and suddenly these kids have to grow up and face a world they can hardly afford to live in.

It will make you cry. If you have a friend you drug to BBM, take them to see this one too.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."