Author Topic: Free Fall - Freier Fall  (Read 1101257 times)

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Free Fall - Freier Fall
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2014, 06:01:43 pm »
Somebody got the cast mixed up.  I've seen on more than 1 website that they list Marc as Max Reimelt, and Kay as Hanno Koffler - it's the other way around.

This is from The Daily Grind. 
The film details a doomed extramarital gay love affair between police cadet Marc (Max Reimelt, Before The Fall) and his copper colleague Kay (Hanno Koffler, Summer Storm,) Brokeback Mountain’s cowboys are swapped out for policemen, and ‘fishing trips’ become secluded forest jogging sessions.
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline morrobay

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2014, 11:58:18 am »
Found this review and comment - not everyone liked it.  The commenter says It is difficult to accept that a man in his mid 20s (Mark) had no gay feelings until Kay hits on him - but we don't know that, so I disagree with that statement.

The entire review is on the link.

MOVIE REVIEW: Free Fall / Freier Fall

By The Gay UK January 28, 2014 1:31:00 PM UTC

Free Fall (or Freier Fall, to give it its German title) is an award winning drama from director Stephen Lacant. It has been branded a sort of German Brokeback Mountain, and indeed there are parallels between the two movies, but in some ways Free Fall is more gritty, more rooted in the present day.

by Greg Mitchell | 28th January 2014

★★★★

March 11, 2014 12:07:00 AM UTC by Bruce Leimsidor
This is one of the worst gay themed films I have seen. The two gay characters are merely stick figures; all the other characters, who are straight, are, without exception, hostile, some even grotesquely so. Come on, now. This is Germany 2014, not Nebraska 1955. It is difficult to accept that a man in his mid 20s (Mark) had no gay feelings until Kay hits on him; also, its unbelievable that Kay, who seems to be a well adjusted gay man, would hit on a colleague who had given him no indication what so ever that he is gay. this is gaysploitation at its very worst!

http://www.thegayuk.com/magazine/4574334751/MOVIE-REVIEW-Free-Fall-Freier-Fall/7401440

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2014, 03:22:15 pm »
It is difficult to accept that a man in his mid 20s (Mark) had no gay feelings until Kay hits on him; also, its unbelievable that Kay, who seems to be a well adjusted gay man, would hit on a colleague who had given him no indication what so ever that he is gay.

IMO, neither of these plot items is unbelievable at all. There are plenty of guys who discover their orientation later in life. Beyond that, some guys just don't feel any physical or romantic attraction to other men until they meet the right guy.

As for Kay hitting on Mark without any indication, well that happens all the time too. Some gay men simply think that its OK to hit on straight men. Other times, a relationship between two guys simply gets to a point, and one of them takes a chance. Without having seen the movie its diffuclt for me to say, but it is possible that Greg Mitchell just plain missed the signals Mark was sending.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2014, 10:41:16 am »
Most of the reviews I'm seeing from movie-goers (as opposed to critics), like the movie, praise the acting, and are willing to forgive the stereotypes & clichés, although some cannot.

From film.com
Winner of the Jury Award for Best Feature Film at Philadelphia QFest, “Free Fall” is a melodrama of the highest order. The conflict centers on Marc (Hanno Koffler), a young police officer in training. He and his pregnant wife Bettina (Katharina Schüttler) have just moved into a house right next to his parents, the epitome of traditional family life. Then he finds himself entangled in an affair with another cadet, Kay (Max Riemelt). Boldly erotic and written with an impressive empathy for all of its characters, “Free Fall” is an uncompromising and thrilling debut feature from director Stephan Lacant. All the performances are dead on, but in a just world Koffler would be an instant star.

“Free Fall” has also been picked up by Wolfe Releasing, and will be available on VOD and DVD.

http://www.film.com/movies/best-lgbt-movies-straight-to-dvd

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2014, 10:45:03 am »
IMO, neither of these plot items is unbelievable at all. There are plenty of guys who discover their orientation later in life. Beyond that, some guys just don't feel any physical or romantic attraction to other men until they meet the right guy.

As for Kay hitting on Mark without any indication, well that happens all the time too. Some gay men simply think that its OK to hit on straight men. Other times, a relationship between two guys simply gets to a point, and one of them takes a chance. Without having seen the movie its diffuclt for me to say, but it is possible that Greg Mitchell just plain missed the signals Mark was sending.

Agree with you on both counts, Milo.  I've heard a few stories of guys who are in their 40s or older, and suddenly they're in a gay relationship.

Yes, some gay men do hit on straight men, hoping that perhaps something will happen, and sometimes, it does.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline morrobay

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2014, 10:52:47 am »
It's interesting to read these comments, I look forward to more when more here have seen the film.

24th Melbourne Queer Film Festival
13 - 24 March 2014

Free Fall (Freier Fall)

Dir: Stephan Lacant, Germany, 2013, DCP, 100min
Genre: Drama, Relationship, Sexuality, Subtitled
Identity: Bisexual, Gay

German with English subtitles

This captivating German coming out drama unfurls through the masterful filmmaking of Stephan Lacant (Little India, Fireflies). Beautifully shot, Free Fall has gained critical acclaim at 2013's Berlinale and on the film festival circuit. Marc is the perfect picture of a family man - a strong, stern policeman with a chiseled jaw and his first baby on the way. Having recently moved back into his parents' house, Marc and his wife Bettina enjoy a pleasant relationship, although he is emotionally disconnected from all those around him. In police training, Marc meets Kay, a rebellious fellow officer with whom he is instantly at ease, and they share a moment of passion whilst jogging in the forest one afternoon. After Kay transfers to the police unit in Marc's provincial town, Marc tries to repress his desires, but the two men soon embark on an passionate love affair. As their relationship intensifies through nights at gay bars and days spent in each other's arms, Marc is forced to question his future.

With strong performances from the entire cast, Free Fall delicately captures some of the hardest moments of life, showing how quickly a life can unravel when truths are withheld. (Tsari Paxton)

Melbourne Premiere

http://tix.mqff.com.au/session2_mqff.asp?sn=Free+Fall+(Freier+Fall)

Offline morrobay

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2014, 05:48:25 pm »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2014, 06:06:37 pm »