Author Topic: Free Fall - Freier Fall  (Read 1101371 times)

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Free Fall - Freier Fall
« Reply #280 on: May 07, 2014, 07:32:50 pm »
 Yes the raised fist is symbolic of Marc fighting / anger with himself but then realizes he can leave.. back to the forest.. only this time he does leave  V.

I missed he raised his fist. Have to watch that scene again.
But it would be typical for Marc.

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #281 on: May 07, 2014, 09:18:35 pm »
Yes, what happened with Gregor is totally positive, since it makes him admit he's been with Kay.  But the scene after that, in the club with the stranger, so so sad!  That's when it seems that everything registers in his mind: he loves Kay, but it's too late...and then the drive home - devastating.
I agree.  This is the moment Marc realizes that the pleasure of just getting a BJ from a stranger cannot equate to the happiness , all be it limited, he experienced with Kay.  V.
How do you hide when you are running from yourself?

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #282 on: May 07, 2014, 09:23:33 pm »
Yeah, naked.  They are.  I thought I read somewhere, can't remember where, that Hanno had it in his contract for no frontal nudity - I guess Max was a little more, uh, ok with that.  He's all about authenticity and integrity in his work - he's pretty damn authentic.  I'm surprised that a star of his caliber in Germany would agree to that. 
I agree.  Nude.  There are several nude / frontal shots with Max.  This very intimate scene was where he turns to to his left.  With Hans there's only one scene  I remember where there's really any nudity and when he's attacked in the shower.  Our view is quite blurred thru the curtain.  V. 
How do you hide when you are running from yourself?

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #283 on: May 08, 2014, 10:32:00 am »

You said: even Hanno said it was exciting. Curious what you mean by that?
Hanno and Max love each other in real life (they literally said so in an interview) and I think they both found it exciting to play this role and were very happy to do this together because there is chemistry in real life. But Hanno/Max is not the same as Marc/Kay.

I think it was Max, not Hanno, sorry.  It was in an interview, I'll try to find it.  And he strictly meant "exciting" as it pertained to his acting, and his ability to do something that is so out of character for him in real life, the opposite, really: convincingly show love for another man.
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline morrobay

« Reply #284 on: May 08, 2014, 10:42:05 am »
It was from an interview on the IMDb site, I posted it a few pages back, but added the link again below.

RIEMELT: It's different. I didn't have this before in this form, and so it was extremely exciting, because my ambition is relatively high, especially regarding authenticity. Then I have to be convinced that I could fall in love with a man theoretically, even though I feel more drawn to women. But that was the challenge. I think it's awesome to be able to do these kind of things in your job. And there's only a little overcoming necessary in order to get physically close to someone. And then it affects the viewer already. That's the beauty of it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2617828/board/thread/215191940

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #285 on: May 08, 2014, 10:57:25 am »
Yes it was Max, I remember the interview.
But in another interview he said something like: to play the role I had to be convinced that it could happen to me, falling in love with another man.
I wonder what it is that convinced him. I am not sure how to interpret this. I know he is straight but there must be something that convinced hem that the line between gay/straight can be thin. In another interview he mentioned that thin line himself.

But I guess it is just my imagination.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #286 on: May 08, 2014, 11:00:21 am »
Part of another interview at the same link.  I googled to try to find a picture of what he's talking about but could only find the one below:

RIEMELT: The movie (Free Fall) is almost a sequel. Hanno, do you remember the scene in 'Auslandseinsatz' where we departed?

KOFFLER: The moment in front of the bus?

RIEMELT: Yes, we are standing face to face there, and all you're thinking is: 'Any moment they'll start kissing.'

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #287 on: May 08, 2014, 11:02:45 am »
yes!! It was even the same interview.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #288 on: May 08, 2014, 11:08:41 am »
Yes it was Max, I remember the interview.
But in another interview he said something like: to play the role I had to be convinced that it could happen to me, falling in love with another man.
I wonder what it is that convinced him. I am not sure how to interpret this. I know he is straight but there must be something that convinced hem that the line between gay/straight can be thin. In another interview he mentioned that thin line himself.

But I guess it is just my imagination.

I take that to mean only that he has to commit himself to the role, no matter what it is.  Like when he played the junkie; he had to assume the role of a heroin addict, and to make it real, he had to convince himself that he could be an addict, and what that would be like.  I'm sure it takes research and time to develop how he thinks his character will behave in that situation.  Remember Hanno saying he plastered the hotel walls with the scene sequences for Free Fall as preparation?

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #289 on: May 08, 2014, 11:20:39 am »
I think you are right. My fantasy is a little too big sometimes  ::)