Author Topic: Free Fall - Freier Fall  (Read 1101285 times)

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Free Fall - Freier Fall
« Reply #380 on: May 14, 2014, 02:31:12 pm »

Marc can not reconcile the dichotomy and struggle within himself to pursue Kay.  Why? Because Kay bolted / moved away and pursuing Kay would mean Marc must leave his son and that commitment... which is why he could not remain with Kay even if Kay stayed...(before it all blew up..)

Why not? Marc is separated from Bettina en a new love/relationship doesn't mean he can't take responsibility for his child. Assumed that Kay would have stayed, why do you think the child would hold Marc back from a relationshilp with Kay?

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #381 on: May 14, 2014, 03:05:55 pm »
No, is a good question. I think Kay tested Marc with little things like the smoke kiss and grapping his hand to light the cigaret. And then the looks between them. I guess Kay felt that Marc had feelings (and after the forest incident he was sure), but because of the way Marc reacted (a little chocked, surprised, in the forest really shocked) it should be clear to Kay that Marc had not this kind of experiences with men.
So I guess that Kay knew (at least he should know) that Marc leaded a hetero life.

Yes, good way to put it, Kay tested Marc - and he got more and more intimate as time went on, and as Marc did not resist - until the forest.  To quote the Joker, it was all part of the plan.
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #382 on: May 14, 2014, 03:06:11 pm »

The ending is a no win. Everyone is devastated / hurt and no one got what they wanted - not Marc, not Kay, not Brittina, no her parents, no one.

Marc is not free.  He has just accepted what he has lost and is tying to move on the only way he knows now, which is to be a better policeman - hence the return to the track / ending.

I think....  a movie like this gives a lot of room for own interpretation. That was exactly the intention of the film makers.  About the end they said literally: the end is open, everyone can decide for themselves whether the end is good or  bad.
I guess personal life experiences influence the interpretation and I watched the movie from my own point of view.
The ending ( the running scene) has a symbolic meaning: Marc is capable of breathing again. That was my feeling about it but confirmed by the comments. That also was the moment they suggested this could be the beginning for a part 2.
Marc may be alone and devestated but for me he is free to discover himself and rebuild his life again, whatever that may be. Hanno Koffler said in an interview: the greatest personality developments are hidden in life crises. I  agree with that.
The scene at the end with Gregor was important. To me it was like: now you know who I am, whether you like it or not. That's a good start.

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #383 on: May 14, 2014, 03:22:03 pm »
Nancy, which happy scene between  Marc and Kay is your favorite?
I have 2 favorites: the short scene running in the forest (before they end up in kay's appartment). Look how Marc's face is shining, so happy and relaxed.
And the other in the bathroom at the club (forget the drugs). So cute and in love.

And which one of the sex/love scenes?
I can't choose - all of them.

What was the most emotional moment for you?
For me it's the pussyword from Marc to Gregor.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #384 on: May 14, 2014, 03:34:05 pm »
I think....  a movie like this gives a lot of room for own interpretation. That was exactly the intention of the film makers.  About the end they said literally: the end is open, everyone can decide for themselves whether the end is good or  bad.
I guess personal life experiences influence the interpretation and I watched the movie from my own point of view.
The ending ( the running scene) has a symbolic meaning: Marc is capable of breathing again. That was my feeling about it but confirmed by the comments. That also was the moment they suggested this could be the beginning for a part 2.
Marc may be alone and devestated but for me he is free to discover himself and rebuild his life again, whatever that may be. Hanno Koffler said in an interview: the greatest personality developments are hidden in life crises. I  agree with that.
The scene at the end with Gregor was important. To me it was like: now you know who I am, whether you like it or not. That's a good start.

It is open to interpretation;  I happen agree with this, and it's well said.  

It's not by any means a happy ending, but I do feel hope for his future.  Marc has come a long way since the beginning and it hasn't been easy, but it's a very realistic portrayal of real life problems: things do not always work out how you think they will.  As all the plot summaries say, Marc thought his future was set in stone.  So much for that.

Of course, not everyone has had this particular situation to deal with but we've all had times where we didn't know what was the right thing to do; we've all had choices we questioned even as we made them, and faced up to any consequences that came out of those choices.  Marc is stronger at the end than he was at the beginning.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #385 on: May 14, 2014, 03:36:38 pm »
Nancy, which happy scene between  Marc and Kay is your favorite?
I have 2 favorites: the short scene running in the forest (before they end up in kay's appartment). Look how Marc's face is shining, so happy and relaxed.
And the other in the bathroom at the club (forget the drugs). So cute and in love.

And which one of the sex/love scenes?
I can't choose - all of them.

What was the most emotional moment for you?
For me it's the pussyword from Marc to Gregor.

Ohhh, good questions!  I'll have to take some time to think about it, otherwise I would just say "all of them"!  I'll be back.........

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #386 on: May 14, 2014, 03:48:03 pm »
Another one. Who is more handsome? Kay or Marc?  ;D

Offline morrobay

« Reply #387 on: May 14, 2014, 03:49:47 pm »

The ending is a no win. Everyone is devastated / hurt and no one got what they wanted - not Marc, not Kay, not Brittina, no her parents, no one.

I agree with the "no-win" statement, everyone lost what they thought they had.  

But none of them will stay in that static state.  Most certainly Marc, but even Bettina and his parents, will come to accept what has happened and move on.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #388 on: May 14, 2014, 03:52:10 pm »
Another one. Who is more handsome? Kay or Marc?  ;D

by the narrowest of margins  :)

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good