Author Topic: Jake Gyllenhaal and Colm Toíbín: In Conversation | The Year of James Baldwin  (Read 6326 times)

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Free in NYC, would love to see it.  I found "Another Country" in my sister's room when I was 15, and read it, but of course I didn't understand all the significance and symbolism at the time.

Date:From 01-May-14 7:00 pm through 9:00 pm
Location:Altschul Auditorium, International Affairs Building, 420 W 118th St (bet Amsterdam & Morningside Aves), Room 417
Info:
COMMUNITY OUTREACH AND EDUCATION | CONVERSATION

Jake Gyllenhaal and Colm Toíbín:
In Conversation
The Year of James Baldwin
Thurs, May 1, 7 PM

Altschul Auditorium, International Affairs Building
420 W 118th St (bet Amsterdam & Morningside Aves), Room 417

Described by the Washington Post as “an almost unbearable, tumultuous, blood-pounding experience,” James Baldwin’s Another Country remains one of the most powerful novels about that tangle of conundrums (race, gender, class, and sexuality), which so dramatically organizes our culture. To launch Columbia University’s installment of The Year of James Baldwin, Jake Gyllenhaal, acclaimed actor, Columbia alumnus, and Academy Award® and Golden Globe® nominee, will join Colm Toíbín, celebrated author and Irene and Sidney B. Silverman Professor of English and Comparative Literature, in a dynamic conversation about this remarkable novel and its enduring relevance. The evening will be introduced by Carol Becker, Dean of Columbia University School of the Arts, and Farah Jasmine Griffin, William B. Ransford Professor of English and Comparative Literature and African American Studies.

The Year of James Baldwin
April 2014 – June 2015

In commemoration of the 90th anniversary of the birth of James Baldwin (1924-1987), Harlem Stage, Columbia University School of the Arts, and New York Live Arts have partnered to mount a citywide, multi-disciplinary slate of programming exploring his life and work. Other collaborators include: New York University; The New School and its Vera List Center for Art and Politics; The Poetry Society of America; The Harlem Book Fair; The National Black Theater; and others to be announced as the year progresses. 

This event is free and open to all.

http://arts.columbia.edu/events/coe/2014/jake-gyllenhaal-colm-to%C3%ADb%C3%ADn-conversation-baldwin
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Courtesy of iheartjake, there is a slide show of 38 pictures at the link below.  I wish I could have been there to hear him read.

http://www.iheartjakemedia.com/displayimage.php?album=3202&pid=83559#top_display_media

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:19:53 pm by butlers_fantasy »
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Wow, I wonder if any of the Brokies made it?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."