Author Topic: All things Easter, Spring Solstice, Passover, or Ostara  (Read 71933 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
All things Easter, Spring Solstice, Passover, or Ostara
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:16:08 pm »
Kind of surprises me.  ???

Anyway, I was thinking about this today because my dad and I had our own Easter dinner today, no feasting with the cousins as for various reasons it wasn't convenient today. We had ham, which my dad cleverly put in his slow-cooker before we left for early church, so by noon it was ready to eat. We had baked potatoes and mixed vegetables and bread-and-butter, and two desserts, strawberries in milk, and cookies.

Ham is the traditional Easter dinner where I come from. It's not just my family; it seems to be a common Pennsylvania German tradition. Today I got to wondering whether the ancestors developed that tradition in the New World or brought it with them from the Fatherland. And why ham? I'm aware that some people have lamb, and in its own way, lamb makes more sense to me than ham. If there is a practical reason for ham, rather than lamb, it's escaping me now.

I'm wondering, too, if there isn't possibly a darker reason for ham. Easter frequently occurs about the same time as Passover, and eating pig meat in Passover season would certainly separate one from the Jews.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 04:48:24 pm by Front-Ranger »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: We've never had a thread about Easter dinner, or Passover, or Ostara
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 08:42:04 pm »
The reason is because this forum (The Holiday Forum) was typically archived in January and then brought out again in November. But recently it's been available year-round. You're welcome to start a thread and, to quote the jolly pastor, "If you don't, I will!"
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 10:18:54 pm »
You're welcome to start a thread and, to quote the jolly pastor, "If you don't, I will!"

Uh, well, I think I just did. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 03:26:35 am »
Uh, well, I think I just did. ...

Yes, you did, and it's a good idea!

Since it's Easter Monday and thus a public holiday over here, Easter is not over yet. And Passover is also still on. So:

Happy Spring Festivities to all BetterMostians!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 03:37:29 am »
I've never heard about ham being traditional on Easter, Jeff. Which of course doesn't mean that it's not typical in other parts of Germany.
To be honest, there is no typical Easter-dish that I know of. Maybe lamb-roast or roast hare would count as such. In general, a roast of any kind of meat is often made on Easter.
Culinary-wise more traditional is Good Friday. On Good Friday you eat fish, period.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 03:54:11 am »
Another custom came to my mind: on Gründonnerstag (Holy Thursday; literally: Green Thursday) it's traditional to eat spinach, eggs sunny-side-up and potatoes. We always did this at my parents', but my family doesn't keep this tradition.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 08:31:33 am »
Good Friday we have salmon. That is a tradition in my moms family and I keep that going. Potatoes, a gravy with lemon and a gravy with chopped eggs, salad and white wine. yummy!  :P

Saturday it's eggs, salmon, lamb, more like a small smorgasbord,(buffé). And candy......lots and lots of candy!!  ;D

Sunday we had tacos - because my daughter wanted!  8) And candy.....

Today, also a holiday in Sweden - it's tortellini. Because it's good!  ::) And candy....

Tomorrow, leftover's....and NO MORE CANDY!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 08:42:31 am »
If you google "Why do we eat ham at Easter" you'll find a few different sites that list a few different reasons, but they all state that the main dish to serve at Easter is lamb.

My family are not big lamb eaters.  We had some ham, garlic potatos, corn and then a mix of Italian foods, spaghetti, meatballs, sausage.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 09:39:14 am »
In Sweden we have a tradition. Not very religious one. But it occurs once a year on Easter Eve. Kids dress up as Easter witches and figures. Walk around the neighbourhood, give away drawings for candy or money in return. I have done this as a kid myself and kids still do it today. Don't ask me why? Or the connection with Jesus, still a mystery to me.

Sometimes the tradition continues to be a big part of your adult life...I must say for me it was a long time ago.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 10:28:10 am »

Oh. Even with the make-up, this young fella is cute!  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 10:35:49 am »
I'm not surprised to hear of the fish traditions on Good Friday, because it's supposed to be a fast day (fish = fast). Anglicans (American = Episcopalians) are supposed to keep it as a fast day, too. I've never seen a calendar of fast days in an American Lutheran service book. Perhaps ancient anti-Roman Catholic prejudice has led American Lutherans to make a point of avoiding eating fish on any Friday.  ::)

Maybe the early Pennsylvania Germans were just too cheap thrifty to kill and eat a spring lamb that could be kept and raised for wool, or sold for cash, to someone else.  ::)

Offline Sophia

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 12:01:21 pm »
Oh. Even with the make-up, this young fella is cute!  :D

;D

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 12:40:15 pm »
In my Catholic household, back in the 60s and 70s, I recall that Good Friday and Ash Wednesday were "fast" days.  Which meant one meatless meal.  If you were able bodied, you were supposed to actually fast during the day (water was allowed) until dinner.  "Meatless" at my house meant either fish sticks or mac'n'cheese.  My mother wouldn't allow fresh fish in the house.  Ever.

As for Easter dinner, no one liked ham or lamb, so we just had turkey.  Our Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter dinners were all the same. 

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 12:47:26 pm »
I remember the first seder I was invited to, in the 80s.  Definitely a reform service, with very short prayers.  I particularly liked the commentary offered by my hosts to make Passover relevant:  we were asked to think of what we might be "enslaved" by in the present day. 

As for food, I could deal with the parsley and the brisket.  But they had fresh horseradish (the "bitter herbs" or "chazeret") from their garden that was wicked hot!  But, for me, eating a hard-boiled egg was a huge sacrifice.  Lotsa salt!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 12:48:51 pm »
As for me now, I prefer celebrating the miracle of Spring with the old Unitarian joke:  "All the tulips have risen today.  Alleluia."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 01:22:14 pm »
In my Catholic household, back in the 60s and 70s, I recall that Good Friday and Ash Wednesday were "fast" days.  Which meant one meatless meal.  If you were able bodied, you were supposed to actually fast during the day (water was allowed) until dinner.  "Meatless" at my house meant either fish sticks or mac'n'cheese.  My mother wouldn't allow fresh fish in the house.  Ever.

Another friend who was raised Roman Catholic once told me that fish sticks and mac 'n' cheese was a classic Catholic Friday dinner.

I'd go along with your mother on the fresh fish. The only way my mother knew how to prepare fresh fish was to fry it, and the smell of frying fish nauseates me to this day.

As for Easter dinner, no one liked ham or lamb, so we just had turkey.  Our Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter dinners were all the same. 

I don't get it. You've got Irish blood in you and nobody liked ham? I thought love of pig meat was one thing the Irish had in common with the Germans.  ???  ;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 01:24:18 pm »
I remember the first seder I was invited to, in the 80s.  Definitely a reform service, with very short prayers.  I particularly liked the commentary offered by my hosts to make Passover relevant:  we were asked to think of what we might be "enslaved" by in the present day.

Neat thought. 

As for food, I could deal with the parsley and the brisket.  But they had fresh horseradish (the "bitter herbs" or "chazeret") from their garden that was wicked hot!  But, for me, eating a hard-boiled egg was a huge sacrifice.  Lotsa salt!

That's the only way to eat a hard-boiled egg.  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 03:23:07 pm »
Another friend who was raised Roman Catholic once told me that fish sticks and mac 'n' cheese was a classic Catholic Friday dinner.

In my house it was a cheese pizza.  lol

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline morrobay

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 03:39:10 pm »
Adding to the few that have ham on Easter Sunday.  And large amounts of chocolate.  מציק
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 04:15:02 pm »

[/center]
[/quote]

Him on a bromstick with the coffeepot in front and that beautiful cat on the back!!  :o :o :o Oh, dear Jesus.....

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 04:30:41 pm »
Quote from: southendmd link=topic=52516.msg657627#msg657627 date=1398098415  My mother wouldn't allow fresh fish in the house.  Ever. 
[/quote

My grandpa was a school teacher and the proud father of 12 kids. He was also a fisher and a farmer. My mom had fresh fish every day in her youth. Fried fish and boiled potato was the main dish.

When I was a child my grandpa sent a big box with fresh herring with the bus in the late autumn - only 30 km so.... - and we salted the herring and had salted, boiled herring and potato for breakfast the whole winter, Monday to Saturday. Sundays we had bacon and eggs....

I can only cook fresh fish. I still buy the fish directly from the fisher and it tastes divine!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 04:54:16 pm »
Adding to the few that have ham on Easter Sunday.  And large amounts of chocolate.   מציק

Of course. Chocolate is a major food group.  :)

Offline Sophia

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 05:48:59 pm »

[/center]

Him on a bromstick with the coffeepot in front and that beautiful cat on the back!!  :o :o :o Oh, dear Jesus.....

;D ;D

just wait....Next year so....

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Today is Beltane
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 09:00:10 am »
Today is Beltane. A happy holiday to those who observe or celebrate it.  :)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 09:42:51 am »
Happy Beltane!
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 04:48:38 pm »
I think I'll celebrate by having fish tacos.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2014, 07:56:23 am »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 10:27:39 am »
Fun to review this thread about Easter foods and traditions. I wanted to study the word origin of Easter and found that it was derived from the Old German word for the goddess of Spring, Oestre. But if I'm not mistaken, she was a Greek goddess, was she not?

Anyway, here's a quote from an article in the Guardian from 2010, which is the most recent writing I could find on the subject.

...In the ancient world, wherever you had popular resurrected god myths, Christianity found lots of converts. So, eventually Christianity came to an accommodation with the pagan Spring festival. Although we see no celebration of Easter in the New Testament, early church fathers celebrated it, and today many churches are offering "sunrise services" at Easter – an obvious pagan solar celebration. The date of Easter is not fixed, but instead is governed by the phases of the moon – how pagan is that?

All the fun things about Easter are pagan. Bunnies are a leftover from the pagan festival of Eostre, a great northern goddess whose symbol was a rabbit or hare. Exchange of eggs is an ancient custom, celebrated by many cultures. Hot cross buns are very ancient too. In the Old Testament we see the Israelites baking sweet buns for an idol, and religious leaders trying to put a stop to it. The early church clergy also tried to put a stop to sacred cakes being baked at Easter. In the end, in the face of defiant cake-baking pagan women, they gave up and blessed the cake instead."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 12:24:37 pm »
An Easter sunrise service might appear to be "an obvious pagan celebration," but it bears mentioning that the Resurrection stories in all four gospels indicate that Mary Magdalene and others went to the tomb very early in the morning to anoint Jesus' body. Indeed, the King James Version of the Matthew account says specifically that it was "as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week," and the John account says that it was "yet dark" when Mary Magdalene arrived at the tomb. Therefore sunrise services are also in keeping with the Bible stories, regardless of any pagan precedents.

(I have to quote from the KJV because I have only a KJV New Testament at hand here at work.)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 01:55:44 pm »
It seems to be kind of a "chicken and egg" question. Easter was strange for me. Was it that way for other BetterMostians? I blame the full moon. As I've said earlier, my mom is in the rehab hospital and although she is improving, there are many details to take care of. She had a strange dream Easter eve that I'll recount over on the dreams thread. My car was broken into although what the vandal took was odd (three sets of keys, none of them to my house and none marked) and then the person left a large tote bag full of clothes in the back and a bank statement with her name and address on it! Looks like Sherlock won't be needed to solve this case! I keep hearing of other strange things that occurred yesterday.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 03:03:51 pm »
I'm sorry to hear you had a strange Easter, FRiend. It was nice but nothing especially special in these parts. I even got a seat on a very crowded train back to the city late yesterday afternoon!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 04:11:22 pm »
I really don't mean to beat a dead horse over this Easter Sunrise Service business, but here's something interesting that I just found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunrise_service

Of course, this article is a bit self-referential: A Moravian Church history magazine credits the Moravian Church with beginning the tradition of holding a sunrise service on Easter Morning (check the footnote). This may well be the case, or it may not. I think the point I'd like to make, or the question I'd like to ask, is whether anyone of whatever religious tradition who claims that an Easter sunrise service is a survival of pagan sun worship has actually bothered to research the history of the tradition of an Easter sunrise service, or just jumped to a conclusion?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 05:37:35 pm »
No, I really can't say whether the author of that Guardian piece did his/her due diligence and traveled back in time to ask the early Christian leaders whether they deliberately modeled the first Easter sunrise service on a pagan sun worshiping ritual. But it seems logical to me that when the early leaders were designing the first Easter celebrations, they probably chose to have some kind of a recognition at sunrise to mark the glorious moment when Mary and the other Mary found the stone rolled away. And one of the leaders might have mentioned in passing that they were likely to have a good turnout because the pagans (pagan means "people of the country") were used to worshiping at sunrise at that time of the year anyway.

One thing I do know is that it's called Easter, which is what the pagans called their spring rituals. My daughter's church doesn't use Easter. They call it "Resurrection Sunday." When to celebrate Easter and some other traditions were decided at the Synod of Whitby in 664. The date of Easter is calculated using the lunar calendar, and that is not particularly Christian. I've been to Whitby and studied the early Celtic church. It's really very fascinating. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synod_of_Whitby

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 08:44:08 am »
No strange Easter here.  Had a nice time with the family, and a big Italian meal.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2015, 02:38:56 pm »
So what was Easter dinner, lamb, ham, or lasagna?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2015, 08:20:59 pm »
I ended up having mushroom ravioli, which was very good. After an Easter service and brunch (eggs, pancakes, ham, fruit) at the church, I went to my usual first Sunday of the month Sherlock Holmes meeting. They had talked about moving the meeting to another Sunday, but that wouldn't work because there are Jane Austen, Woodhouse, and various other book club meetings on the other Sundays. And a sizeable percentage of the members are Jewish or agnostic, anyway.

On the subject of dates for Easter, my daughter's faith (Messianic Judaism) believes that Jesus was not born in December, either. So they don't celebrate Christmas and they celebrate His birth in the fall. Apparently it is historically possible to calculate when the census was called by Caesar Augustus, so they were able to determine accurately when He was born.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2015, 08:56:51 am »
So what was Easter dinner, lamb, ham, or lasagna?

We had baked ziti, meatballs, chicken and eggplant parm.

:)  Of course, bread, salad and corn for sides.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2015, 09:33:41 am »
We had baked ziti, meatballs, chicken and eggplant parm.

:)  Of course, bread, salad and corn for sides.

Sounds delicious!  :)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2015, 03:07:13 pm »
It was, and I got leftovers for home!!!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2017, 06:56:06 pm »
Just found out the plans for Easter.

We're meeting at mom & dad's place on Sunday.  The meal will consist of some ham,  chicken parm,  eggplant parm, and the usual sides  (salad, corn)

I've made goodie bags to hand out filled with various chocolates.

I've offered to make Broken Glass for dessert.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2017, 08:10:27 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2017, 07:24:44 pm »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2017, 01:17:33 am »
Wishing a glorious Easter to everyone!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2017, 11:43:29 am »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2017, 06:42:36 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2018, 05:35:59 pm »
Both Easter and  Passover are not far now.

In fact, I took down the St. Patrick's Day flag and lights, and put up Easter flag and lights today.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2018, 10:38:08 am »

Palm Sunday is a Christian moveable feast that falls on the Sunday before Easter.  The feast commemorates Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem, an event mentioned in each of the four canonical Gospels.   It initiates Holy Week, the last week of Lent.

In many Christian denominations, such as the Lutheran, Methodist, Catholic, Reformed, Presbyterian, and Anglican Churches, worship services on Palm Sunday include a procession of the faithful carrying palms, representing the palm branches the crowd scattered in front of Jesus as he rode into Jerusalem.  The difficulty of procuring palms in unfavorable climates led to their substitution with branches of native trees, including box, olive, willow, and yew.  The Sunday was often named after these substitute trees, as in Yew Sunday, or by the general term Branch Sunday.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2018, 07:15:02 pm »
You've heard of the Christmas "snitch", Elf on a Shelf?    Santa's helper who watches the kids and reports back to Santa if they've been good?

Well, Easter is getting in on that act, with a helper for the Easter Bunny, the Peep on a Perch!

Step aside, Elf--Peep on a Perch is the newest holiday tradition around! Peep on a Perch is a book and plush boxed set that makes the perfect Easter gift. The storybook, perfect for boys and girls ages 3 to 7, tells how the Easter Peep assists the Easter Bunny every year. The adorable Easter Peep helps decorate eggs and fill baskets, and sees all the acts of kindness a child does in the days and weeks leading up to Easter. The soft plush Easter Peep included in the set can be perched anywhere throughout the home. Children will be proud to have the Easter Peep watch them being good all day as they get ready for bed without making a fuss, help out around the house, and use good manners. And the more kindness the Easter Peep sees, the happier the Easter Peep gets! PEEPS® fans of all ages will love to make this a new Easter family tradition.

PEEPS® is an iconic brand found in Easter baskets everywhere with a heritage spanning over 60 years. PEEPS can also be found in the every day candy aisle, and is seasonally relevant at Summer, Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine's Day.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2018, 07:22:52 pm »
Wrong holiday for this time of year, but I found this while looking for Peep on a Perch.    :laugh:

Even Jewish children can now have their own "snitch" for the holidays, as the time of Hanukkah brings us the Mensch on a Bench!

"The Mensch on the Bench," is a book and doll set created by Jewish father and former Hasbro Toys marketing executive, Neal Hoffman, in an effort to teach his sons about the Jewish holiday Hanukkah, all while adding a new tradition to his family. The doll is a stuffed toy that looks a bit like a rabbi or a Hasidic Jew and is named Moshe. The accompanying book tells the story of Moshe the Mensch who helped Judah Maccabee at the temple by keeping the Shamash candle lit and by watching over the menorah and remaining oil during Hanukkah for eight days - when there was only enough oil left for one day. Moshe played the dreidel, loved coins made of candy called Gelt, and was a true mensch to the children and their families during this difficult time.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2018, 09:04:10 pm »
Even Jewish children can now have their own "snitch" for the holidays, as the time of Hanukkah brings us the Mensch on a Bench!

:laugh:

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2018, 09:50:17 am »
You've heard of the Christmas "snitch", Elf on a Shelf?    Santa's helper who watches the kids and reports back to Santa if they've been good?

Well, Easter is getting in on that act, with a helper for the Easter Bunny, the Peep on a Perch!

Oh, for Peep's sake. Does every holiday have to be tied to good behavior and employ a "snitch"? Why not just tell the kids the NSA is watching over them at all times? Or, to be less secular, hang up a crucifix and tell them Jesus is watching?

BTW, I have an Elf on a Shelf but I never knew he was intended to be a snitch. He hasn't been doing a very good job of it.  :laugh:

Children will be proud to have the Easter Peep watch them being good all day as they get ready for bed without making a fuss, help out around the house, and use good manners.

If all it took to make my kids do that is a little stuffed animal perched within view, I would have bought one for every room of the house. But I'm afraid this expectation is just slightly unrealistic.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2018, 10:32:02 am »
"The Mensch on the Bench," is a book and doll set created by Jewish father and former Hasbro Toys marketing executive, Neal Hoffman, in an effort to teach his sons about the Jewish holiday Hanukkah, all while adding a new tradition to his family. The doll is a stuffed toy that looks a bit like a rabbi or a Hasidic Jew and is named Moshe. The accompanying book tells the story of Moshe the Mensch who helped Judah Maccabee at the temple by keeping the Shamash candle lit and by watching over the menorah and remaining oil during Hanukkah for eight days - when there was only enough oil left for one day. Moshe played the dreidel, loved coins made of candy called Gelt, and was a true mensch to the children and their families during this difficult time.

I like this guy much better. There's no spying or behavior policing in the description, and "mensch" just means good person.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2018, 10:41:28 am »
Peeps have 28 calories, 0 grams of fat, and they are also gluten free.

And I still don't like them.  :P

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2018, 06:07:30 pm »
BTW, I have an Elf on a Shelf but I never knew he was intended to be a snitch. He hasn't been doing a very good job of it.  :laugh:

I've never had one, and my parents didn't do that Elf thing, so we weren't "watched" by that.   It was my impression that the Elf is "supposed" to report back to Santa each night on the children's behavior.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2018, 10:15:53 pm »
I've never had one, and my parents didn't do that Elf thing, so we weren't "watched" by that.   It was my impression that the Elf is "supposed" to report back to Santa each night on the children's behavior.

Who invented that whole Elf on the Shelf thing anyway? First time I heard it mentioned I had no idea what was being talked about.

In my day we only had to worry about Santa. He knew when you'd been good or bad, for goodness' sake.

We didn't have to worry about some C.I.A. elf tattling on us.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2018, 06:33:24 pm »
lmao!

I don't know who invented it!   There's even a Christmas cartoon about it now.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2018, 02:52:30 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2018, 12:09:44 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2018, 12:32:42 pm »

Here is what my dad is getting from me for Easter, because he spent his life working on the railroad.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2018, 12:33:15 pm »

This is what my brother is getting today.  He's a huge car person, can look  at a car and tell you the make, model, type of engine, how reliable it is, whether it's 2, 4, or all wheel drive, and other details.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2018, 12:34:15 pm »

and mom is a cat person, so she gets this.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2018, 04:38:33 pm »
Wow, those are impressive Easter creations! Your family is really blessed, Chuck! What did you get? A chocolate cowboy hat, perchance?

Thanks for posting about Holy Saturday. On Good Friday, I started to wonder: why is it that they call it Good Friday? Shouldn't it be called Bad Friday, or Black Friday or something like that? Because that's when Christ was crucified.  :'(

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2018, 06:56:08 pm »
Here is what my dad is getting from me for Easter, because he spent his life working on the railroad.

Cute train!!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEwWmiW248c[/youtube]

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2018, 06:57:49 pm »
and mom is a cat person, so she gets this.

Aww.... kitties!!!!!!!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2018, 06:58:34 pm »
Wow, those are impressive Easter creations! Your family is really blessed, Chuck! What did you get? A chocolate cowboy hat, perchance?

Thanks for posting about Holy Saturday. On Good Friday, I started to wonder: why is it that they call it Good Friday? Shouldn't it be called Bad Friday, or Black Friday or something like that? Because that's when Christ was crucified.  :'(

We call it Long Friday.

Offline brianr

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2018, 10:53:25 pm »
Some sources say it derives from God Friday others say it is because Christ is suppose to have died for our sins.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2018, 07:06:06 am »

NO chocolate cowboy hat for me!  LOL.   I did get some of the fruit slice candy that I enjoy so much, and some peanut butter cups.

If I'm remembering my Catholic teachings from back in the day, we were told it's called "Good" Friday because the gates of Heaven were locked with the original sin,  Adam and Eve eating the apple.  Jesus' death unlocked the gates of Heaven, allowing people to enter.

Offline brianr

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2018, 07:07:20 pm »
My sister and I always exchange chocolate bilbies  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrotis
https://savethebilbyfund.com/get-involved/bilby-chocolate-retailers
Because rabbits are a pest in both Australia and NZ. Some money from sales goes to saving the endangered bilby. I gave my brother-in-law a chocolate wombat as they are bigger and he is a chocoholic.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2018, 05:58:18 pm »
My sister and I always exchange chocolate bilbies  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrotis
https://savethebilbyfund.com/get-involved/bilby-chocolate-retailers

Because rabbits are a pest in both Australia and NZ. Some money from sales goes to saving the endangered bilby. I gave my brother-in-law a chocolate wombat as they are bigger and he is a chocoholic.

Chocolate for a good cause!  I like that!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2018, 08:57:02 am »
It's Beltane!  :D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2021, 12:15:31 pm »

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2021, 06:44:22 pm »
Thank you Chuckie!  :-*

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2021, 08:03:26 pm »
My apartment windows for Easter.

Center window has a flag with the Easter bunny holding a basket and eggs.  It's surrounded by pink lights.  The smaller side windows have plastic frames in the shape of eggs.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2021, 08:05:54 pm »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2021, 11:24:37 am »
Nice! Do others in your building decorate for Easter, or are you the only one?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2021, 10:15:41 pm »
From what I've seen, I'm the only one.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2021, 10:10:55 am »
Happy Easter!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2021, 02:08:41 pm »
"All the tulips have risen today.  Alleluia!"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2021, 02:33:32 pm »
Wonderful photos! Happy Easter!  :-*

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2021, 04:31:17 pm »
Happy Easter!

An Easter miracle!!

A rabbit with two heads!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2021, 08:08:05 pm »

Very lovely! It's a daffodil Easter here.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2022, 10:24:31 am »
Jeff, this is as close as I could come to a thread about Lent. Why don't we start one?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2022, 02:05:29 pm »
Maybe it was part of somebody's blog. I was sure we had a thread somewhere about "What are you giving up for Lent," or something like that.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2022, 02:11:07 pm »

I was looking at this picture again, and it reminded how many decades ago, the wealthy owner of a tobacco company (  :P  ) in my home town was a great tulip fancier. His front and backyard gardens were planted with thousands of tulips, and when they were in bloom, the public was invited to walk through the gardens to enjoy them.

I remember being told that this man bought so many tulip bulbs that a breeder named a new variety after him, or maybe after his wife; something like that.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2022, 07:16:05 pm »

I was debating making a Pizzagaina this year, but I've never made one before.  LOL  Not sure I want to make the attempt.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2022, 12:58:48 am »
I was debating making a Pizzagaina this year, but I've never made one before.  LOL  Not sure I want to make the attempt.

A whut?  ???

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2022, 01:49:40 am »

A whut?  ???

PizzaGAINA, pronounced PEETS-a-GAYN-a. But you might hear it called any of the following: Pizzachiena, Pizza Chena, or even Pizza Rustica. A rough translation in all cases is "full pie" with the latter being "rustic pie."   Pizza Cena would mean "dinner pie." There is also another version called Pizza Ripiena that is thinner and more of a double stuffed crust pizza, and definitely not as thick as the Pizzagaina "full" pies.

With Lent being a time of sacrifice (giving up meats/dairy/rich foods), in Italian culture, on Easter, a Pizzagaina is served with the meal, to break the fast.

It's made in a springform pan, with 2 Eggs, 1 Pound of ricotta cheese (about 2 cups), 3/4 Cup fresh mozzarella, grated, 1/2 Cup parmesan cheese, grated, and an assortment of diced/cubed meats such as salami, pepperoni, ham, capicola, or other Italian meats.

it can be very heavy, so a little goes a long way.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2022, 03:08:03 pm »
Thanks. Does look yummy. Beats boxes a soup all to heck.  ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2022, 02:47:42 pm »
It's made in a springform pan, with 2 Eggs, 1 Pound of ricotta cheese (about 2 cups), 3/4 Cup fresh mozzarella, grated, 1/2 Cup parmesan cheese, grated, and an assortment of diced/cubed meats such as salami, pepperoni, ham, capicola, or other Italian meats.

[*checking airfares*]

Offline CellarDweller

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2022, 08:42:30 pm »
It will be the Full Worm Moon this weekend. With the return of the worms comes the return of the robins. And I saw one today!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2022, 12:58:32 pm »
It will be the Full Worm Moon this weekend. With the return of the worms comes the return of the robins. And I saw one today!

I wondered for a moment. (Our) robins are sedenatary birds. But then I rememered the American robin is a totally different bird, not even closely related to our European robin, and way bigger.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2022, 01:12:22 pm »

I wondered for a moment. (Our) robins are sedenatary birds. But then I rememered the American robin is a totally different bird, not even closely related to our European robin, and way bigger.

Thanks to climate change, some of our robins now "winter over." They no longer migrate south for the winter. The same thing has happened with our native wild geese. Many now live in our area permanently and do not migrate south for the winter.

I remember when I was a child, one of the sights and sounds of the fall was a V-shaped flock of geese audibly honking as they flew headed due south for the winter. Sometimes at night it would be too dark to see the flock, but you could hear them honking,

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: All things Easter, Spring Solstice, Passover, or Ostara
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2022, 04:50:35 pm »
I was reading in the Farmers Almanac about how the date of Easter is calculated. So complicated! So the full moon of tomorrow is called the Lenten Moon, and the one in April will be the Pascal Moon.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2022, 10:13:38 pm »

Oh, are the Robins out and about?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2022, 01:48:08 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: yeah, they're all over the place!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2022, 06:18:17 am »
Thanks to climate change, some of our robins now "winter over." They no longer migrate south for the winter. The same thing has happened with our native wild geese. Many now live in our area permanently and do not migrate south for the winter.

I remember when I was a child, one of the sights and sounds of the fall was a V-shaped flock of geese audibly honking as they flew headed due south for the winter. Sometimes at night it would be too dark to see the flock, but you could hear them honking,

Yes, same here, more and more birds either don't migrate anymore or migrate shorter distances than they used to.

Fun fact: already way back in the 70-ies we had a population of sedentary storks neary. In Mannheim there's a big botanical garden and the many glass houses emit enough warmth for storks to stay year-round. Apparently there's also enough food for them in winter.

I like when you hear the migrating geese in the night, but can't see them. :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2022, 09:03:03 am »
Fun fact: already way back in the 70-ies we had a population of sedentary storks neary. In Mannheim there's a big botanical garden and the many glass houses emit enough warmth for storks to stay year-round. Apparently there's also enough food for them in winter.

There is a nature preserve in the north end of the county where I grew up. It has a big lake, and in the fall thousands of migrating waterfowl would stop there for a rest. It used to be a big deal in the fall to go to see the birds. It was really nice to see these flocks of wild birds against a backdrop of trees in their autumn colors.  :)

Now in some places there are so many geese they've actually become a pest.  :(  Apparently they can also pose a hazard. We have highway signs with the image of a goose on it.   :laugh:  (That seems funny, but perhaps the thinking is that some motorist might swerve into on-coming traffic while trying to avoid geese crossing the road.)

I like when you hear the migrating geese in the night, but can't see them. :)

Isn't that nice?  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2022, 04:17:36 pm »
Happy Spring! Apparently the Equinox was yesterday. It was in the 60s here but today it's snowing.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2022, 11:24:26 am »
Oh, I forgot to observe the equinox on the day it happened! Yesterday was in the mid-60s and sunny here. Today the high is 46 and it's supposed to rain all day into tomorrow, when it will turn into snow and the high will be 39.

March.  >:(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2022, 11:45:57 am »
Oh, I forgot to observe the equinox on the day it happened! Yesterday was in the mid-60s and sunny here. Today the high is 46 and it's supposed to rain all day into tomorrow, when it will turn into snow and the high will be 39.

March.  >:(

I remember when March was considered a windy month and April a showery month. I remember the sayings "March winds doth blow, and we shall have snow" and "April showers bring may flowers."

(And the old joke: Q: If April showers bring may flowers, what do may flowers bring? A: Pilgrims.)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2022, 12:18:04 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2022, 04:34:38 pm »
Excerpt from a weather story I wrote in March 2021:

How did March 9's not particularly impressive record high of 61 stand for almost a century and a half? Especially since it's 9 degrees chillier than the record for just one day before?

Who knows? March is weird.

It's certainly a time of change, Hasenstein noted. The record high for March 1 is 59 degrees; by March 31, the record high goes up to 82. The temperature spread between record lows for March is, coincidentally, exactly the same as its highs ? zero on the first of the month and 23 on the last.

Perhaps that variability explains why so many weather myths and legends swirl around March.

The old "March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb" certainly contains some truth, as shown by those record highs and lows. But in any given March, a lamb might take the lead, a lion might pounce at the end, or lions and lambs might pop up throughout the month like whack-a-moles.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2022, 09:27:19 pm »
The old "March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb" certainly contains some truth, as shown by those record highs and lows. But in any given March, a lamb might take the lead, a lion might pounce at the end, or lions and lambs might pop up throughout the month like whack-a-moles.[/font][/size]

That's sort of the way we said it when I was a, er, kid: If March comes in like a lion it will go out like a lamb, and if it comes in like a lamb it will go our like a lion.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2022, 07:16:18 pm »
We've been in Spring for a few days now, but today we're near the freezing mark, and had snow flurries today.

Tomorrow we'll be below freezing.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2022, 08:32:33 pm »
Feels like we're pushing it this year.  ;D  Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon that happens on or after March 21. Full moon is this coming Saturday. Easter is the next day.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2022, 10:15:03 pm »
Feels like we're pushing it this year.  ;D  Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon that happens on or after March 21. Full moon is this coming Saturday. Easter is the next day.

??? Is that a bad juxtaposition, or just cutting it close? I didn't realize Easter and Passover were that closely timed around moon cycles, although I guess that makes perfect sense.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2022, 09:05:20 am »
??? Is that a bad juxtaposition, or just cutting it close? I didn't realize Easter and Passover were that closely timed around moon cycles, although I guess that makes perfect sense.

Just cutting it close--and sort of a joke, too. I just don't remember Easter falling so close to the full moon. I'm sure it has.

I guess I should look up to see if I can find how the date of Passover is set. P and E aren't always this close, although, basing Easter on the Bible stories, you'd think they should be. I don't know how Eastern Orthodox Easter is calculated, either; I don't think it's ever the same day as Western Christianity celebrates it, but I only vaguely know why--some ancient theological difference, though I don't know what that was either!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2022, 09:29:02 am »
Well, here's sort of an answer to my own question:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/04/why-dont-easter-and-passover-always-line/587572/

But note: Pay no attention to the dates (e.g., April 19 and April 21) mentioned in the text. They will only confuse you because the article was published three years ago, so the dates given applied in 2019, not this year.

I wouldn't pay much mind to his comment on Easter brunch, either. I think brunch is a kind of urban thing. Other people have an Easter dinner.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2022, 04:41:39 pm »
We do brunch and never use the word "dinner" to describe any meal that's not late in the day (and never use the word "supper" at all). But then, I'm fairly urban.

If I'd guessed carelessly, I would have thought that Easter's timing is tied, like Christmas and Halloween are, to ancient pagan holidays. But of course it can't be, because it is tied to Passover which, Judaism being non-evangelical, does not have that relationship to pagan European traditions.

Our symbols of Easter -- eggs, chicks, rabbits -- are most likely European in origin, though.

Although come to think of it, don't most cultures acknowledge the rebirth of nature in spring? In which case, Easter's timing -- based on an episode that may not actually have occurred right after Last Supper -- might have been designated by the ancients.

Just looked it up; Jerusalem is slightly farther from the equator than New Orleans. New Orleans doesn't have a particularly dramatic spring, so it's not as big a deal there as in Europe, so maybe the New Testament's authors didn't make that rebirth connection.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2022, 10:55:34 pm »
Here's an interesting Wikipedia article on Passover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passover

So much is lost in antiquity. I have read ... somewhere ... maybe in a college Bible course, or something ... that the really ancient origin of Passover was related to some spring rite or festival--note that the meal is lamb--like spring lamb, maybe?

Those first five books of the Old Testament were written hundred and hundreds of years later by priests of the Jerusalem temple, and I have a very strong hunch that they took some customs and tales and so forth and gave them an explanation that they came from God.

There is a story somewhere--Exodus, maybe--that God punished the Israelites by sending a plague of poisonous snakes. The snakes bit the people, and the people died. Then Moses made a bronze serpent and put it on a pole, so that anyone who was bitten by a snake could look at the bronze serpent and not die.

OK, c'mon, people, really? Tell me that bronze serpent wasn't really some idol of some non-Israelite god? So the story had to be spun by the priests to relate to the God of the Jerusalem temple and not to its origin as an idol of some non-Israelite god.

And that business of murdering the first-born of the Egyptians? That's horrible beyond belief.

Somewhere, probably in one of the Bible courses I had in college. we were told that "Red Sea" in Exodus should actually be "Reed Sea," a vast swampy area between the head of the Red Sea and the Mediterranean. I don't remember if what we were told, or read, addressed the reality of Hebrews escaping from Egypt, or why the Egyptians would go after them, but it strikes me that people traveling light, possibly even on foot, could probably get through a swampy area, whereas the chariots of the Egyptians would bog down in the mud. Over time that story grew and grew until we have Charlton Heston parting the Red Sea.  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2022, 06:45:42 pm »
If I'd guessed carelessly, I would have thought that Easter's timing is tied, like Christmas and Halloween are, to ancient pagan holidays. But of course it can't be, because it is tied to Passover which, Judaism being non-evangelical, does not have that relationship to pagan European traditions.

Our symbols of Easter -- eggs, chicks, rabbits -- are most likely European in origin, though.

Although come to think of it, don't most cultures acknowledge the rebirth of nature in spring? In which case, Easter's timing -- based on an episode that may not actually have occurred right after Last Supper -- might have been designated by the ancients.

Just looked it up; Jerusalem is slightly farther from the equator than New Orleans. New Orleans doesn't have a particularly dramatic spring, so it's not as big a deal there as in Europe, so maybe the New Testament's authors didn't make that rebirth connection.

actually, what I've found online suggests some ties to Pagan beliefs.

Pascha, Easter and the goddess of spring

In most countries in Europe, the name for Easter is derived from the Jewish festival of Passover.

"So in Greek the feast is called Pascha, in Italian Pasqua, in Danish it is Paaske, and in French it is Paques," Professor Cusack said.

But in English-speaking countries, and in Germany, Easter takes its name from a pagan goddess from Anglo-Saxon England who was described in a book by the eighth-century English monk Bede.

"Eostre was a goddess of spring or renewal and that's why her feast is attached to the vernal equinox," Professor Cusack said.

"In Germany the festival is called Ostern, and the goddess is called Ostara."

Rabbits and eggs as ancient symbols of new life

Many of the pagan customs associated with the celebration of spring eventually became absorbed within Christianity as symbols of the resurrection of Jesus.

"Eggs, as a symbol of new life, became a common people's explanation of the resurrection; after the chill of the winter months, nature was coming to life again," Professor Cusack said.

During the Middle Ages, people began decorating eggs and eating them as a treat following mass on Easter Sunday after fasting through Lent.

"This is actually something that still happens, especially in eastern European countries like Poland," Professor Cusack said.

"The custom of decorating hard-boiled eggs or blown eggs is still a very popular folk custom."

Rabbits and hares are also associated with fertility and were symbols linked to the goddess Eostre.

The first association of the rabbit with Easter, according to Professor Cusack, was a mention of the "Easter hare" in a book by German professor of medicine Georg Franck von Franckenau published in 1722.

"He recalls a folklore that hares would hide the coloured eggs that children hunted for, which suggests to us that as early as the 18th century, decorated eggs were hidden in gardens for egg hunts," Professor Cusack said.

As for Easter's changing date:

Easter's changing date

In 325AD the first major church council, the Council of Nicaea, determined that Easter should fall on the Sunday following the first full moon after the spring equinox.

That is why the date moves and why Easter festivities are often referred to as "moveable feasts".

"There's a defined period between March 25 and April 25 on which Easter Sunday must fall, and that's determined by the movement of the planets and the Sun," Professor Cusack said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-15/the-origins-of-easter-from-pagan-roots-to-chocolate-eggs/8440134

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2022, 08:22:50 am »
Apparently the Easter Bunny has paid an early visit to my dad's place. He told me last evening that he was out in the backyard yesterday afternoon when he saw a small rabbit hop under the garden shed.  :)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2022, 04:41:10 pm »
cute!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2022, 04:53:33 pm »

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2022, 06:43:12 pm »
Thanks, the same to you, Chuck!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2022, 11:35:11 am »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2022, 06:32:51 pm »
Hoppity happy Easter! I had everybody over and the weather cooperated! Brunch on the flagstone patio, deviled eggs, cole slaw, lamb cucumber appetizers, mandarin oranges, crackers and cheese, asparagus. . . . all the good springtime things.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2022, 10:14:50 pm »
Very changeable weather here. It was 82 degrees when I left Philadelphia on Thursday. I hardly knew what to pack because the forecast was for a great drop in temperature over the following days. Yesterday the temperature was still in the 70s, and my dad and I sat on the front patio in the sun. The warm weather has also "pushed" the dogwoods to bloom. I'm afraid I'll miss them at their height.

Today the temperature was about 20 degrees or more cooler than yesterday. While driving to our cousin's home in the mountains for dinner today, I looked at the sky and said to my dad, "Those clouds look like they have snow in them." They did. We had several brief snow showers until the weather settled down to sunshine.

Driving into the mountains today was like was going back in time to earlier in the spring, as the daffodils and other early blooming plants and trees were still at their height there, whereas they're past their prime here.

We've also had the Easter Bunny in residence; a small, young rabbit has taken up residence under the backyard shed. This morning he had two of his siblings with him. I looked out the kitchen window and saw three small rabbits munching on the lawn.

Incidentally, the backyard lawn is full of violets, which are beautiful this time of year. My father hates them because he says they shouldn't be in the grass. I think they're very pretty.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #119 on: April 18, 2022, 04:00:13 am »
Very changeable weather here. It was 82 degrees when I left Philadelphia on Thursday. I hardly knew what to pack because the forecast was for a great drop in temperature over the following days. Yesterday the temperature was still in the 70s, and my dad and I sat on the front patio in the sun. The warm weather has also "pushed" the dogwoods to bloom. I'm afraid I'll miss them at their height.

Today the temperature was about 20 degrees or more cooler than yesterday. While driving to our cousin's home in the mountains for dinner today, I looked at the sky and said to my dad, "Those clouds look like they have snow in them." They did. We had several brief snow showers until the weather settled down to sunshine.

Driving into the mountains today was like was going back in time to earlier in the spring, as the daffodils and other early blooming plants and trees were still at their height there, whereas they're past their prime here.

We've also had the Easter Bunny in residence; a small, young rabbit has taken up residence under the backyard shed. This morning he had two of his siblings with him. I looked out the kitchen window and saw three small rabbits munching on the lawn.

Incidentally, the backyard lawn is full of violets, which are beautiful this time of year. My father hates them because he says they shouldn't be in the grass. I think they're very pretty.

Lovely, all of it.  :)
I'm glad you got to celebrate Easter with your dad and the Easter bunny O0

Yesterday we visited with relatives from my side of the family and I'm very happy to have seen them :D
Weather has been beautiful for quite some days in a row, but also has been getting cooler. Back to jackets when being outside, even though it looks warm :laugh:. Today is another public holiday, so we're taking it slow and lighting up the firebowl in the evening. First time this year, which feels like officially opening the garden season ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2022, 04:52:42 pm »
Today is another public holiday, so we're taking it slow and lighting up the firebowl in the evening. First time this year, which feels like officially opening the garden season ;D

Just don't stick your boot in the fire bowl.  ;D

I forgot to mention I also saw two robins fighting. At least, I think they were fighting. They were flying at each other, furiously flapping their wings at each other. One finally took off out of the backyard. I don't remember what the other did.

Does anybody know what robins do to attract a mate?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2022, 04:58:18 pm »
Siri says they sing loudly. Also "courtship feeding". The early bird gets the worm!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2023, 03:47:02 pm »
For those who celebrate.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2023, 06:28:08 pm »
Thank you Chuck, and happy Easter to you.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2023, 08:16:55 am »
Time to stock up on chocolate bunnies, peanut butter-filled candy eggs, and Peeps!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #125 on: April 09, 2023, 10:05:20 am »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #126 on: April 09, 2023, 01:54:34 pm »
A joyous Easter or Passover to you all (or Ramadan, or Spring)! I went shopping for Easter candy for my grandchildren and was looking for my favorites--malted milk Easter eggs. But I couldn't find them anywhere! I ended up buying Swiss chocolate. I hope they appreciate the difference between that and Hershey's.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2023, 03:31:13 pm »
A joyous Easter or Passover to you all (or Ramadan, or Spring)! I went shopping for Easter candy for my grandchildren and was looking for my favorites--malted milk Easter eggs. But I couldn't find them anywhere! I ended up buying Swiss chocolate. I hope they appreciate the difference between that and Hershey's.

Every supermarket or drug store I was in this season had much less Easter candy than in years gone by. One even had its remaining Easter candy on close-out--on Good Friday!  :o

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2023, 10:59:03 am »
strange.   CVS by me had a full aisle with Easter candy and stuff.