Author Topic: All things Easter, Spring Solstice, Passover, or Ostara  (Read 71048 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: We've never had a thread about Easter dinner, or Passover, or Ostara
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2018, 09:50:17 am »
You've heard of the Christmas "snitch", Elf on a Shelf?    Santa's helper who watches the kids and reports back to Santa if they've been good?

Well, Easter is getting in on that act, with a helper for the Easter Bunny, the Peep on a Perch!

Oh, for Peep's sake. Does every holiday have to be tied to good behavior and employ a "snitch"? Why not just tell the kids the NSA is watching over them at all times? Or, to be less secular, hang up a crucifix and tell them Jesus is watching?

BTW, I have an Elf on a Shelf but I never knew he was intended to be a snitch. He hasn't been doing a very good job of it.  :laugh:

Children will be proud to have the Easter Peep watch them being good all day as they get ready for bed without making a fuss, help out around the house, and use good manners.

If all it took to make my kids do that is a little stuffed animal perched within view, I would have bought one for every room of the house. But I'm afraid this expectation is just slightly unrealistic.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2018, 10:32:02 am »
"The Mensch on the Bench," is a book and doll set created by Jewish father and former Hasbro Toys marketing executive, Neal Hoffman, in an effort to teach his sons about the Jewish holiday Hanukkah, all while adding a new tradition to his family. The doll is a stuffed toy that looks a bit like a rabbi or a Hasidic Jew and is named Moshe. The accompanying book tells the story of Moshe the Mensch who helped Judah Maccabee at the temple by keeping the Shamash candle lit and by watching over the menorah and remaining oil during Hanukkah for eight days - when there was only enough oil left for one day. Moshe played the dreidel, loved coins made of candy called Gelt, and was a true mensch to the children and their families during this difficult time.

I like this guy much better. There's no spying or behavior policing in the description, and "mensch" just means good person.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2018, 10:41:28 am »
Peeps have 28 calories, 0 grams of fat, and they are also gluten free.

And I still don't like them.  :P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2018, 06:07:30 pm »
BTW, I have an Elf on a Shelf but I never knew he was intended to be a snitch. He hasn't been doing a very good job of it.  :laugh:

I've never had one, and my parents didn't do that Elf thing, so we weren't "watched" by that.   It was my impression that the Elf is "supposed" to report back to Santa each night on the children's behavior.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2018, 10:15:53 pm »
I've never had one, and my parents didn't do that Elf thing, so we weren't "watched" by that.   It was my impression that the Elf is "supposed" to report back to Santa each night on the children's behavior.

Who invented that whole Elf on the Shelf thing anyway? First time I heard it mentioned I had no idea what was being talked about.

In my day we only had to worry about Santa. He knew when you'd been good or bad, for goodness' sake.

We didn't have to worry about some C.I.A. elf tattling on us.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2018, 06:33:24 pm »
lmao!

I don't know who invented it!   There's even a Christmas cartoon about it now.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2018, 02:52:30 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2018, 12:09:44 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2018, 12:32:42 pm »

Here is what my dad is getting from me for Easter, because he spent his life working on the railroad.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2018, 12:33:15 pm »

This is what my brother is getting today.  He's a huge car person, can look  at a car and tell you the make, model, type of engine, how reliable it is, whether it's 2, 4, or all wheel drive, and other details.