Author Topic: Holiday Recipes  (Read 7725 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Holiday Recipes
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 06:26:15 pm »
In honor of Sam Arnold, owner of The Fort Restaurant in Morrision, Colorado, who died last week, I offer one of his signature recipes, Bowl of the Wife of Kit Carson:

1 cup cooked chicken or turkey in bite-size pieces
1 cup cooked rice
4 cups rich chicken broth
1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 chopped chipotle pepper
1 avocado, sliced
1 cup cubed Monterey Jack (what else?) cheese

Heat broth to boiling and add chicken, garbanzos, pepper, rice, and oregano. Serve in large bowls and add cheese and avocado just before serving. Serves 4.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 09:16:02 am »
Here's my receipt for Christmas cookies:

For the dough:
  • 500 grams white flour
  • 200 grams sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 little Pack vanilla sugar (that's about 8 grams)
  • grated paring (peel?) of one citron (you can leave this out or substitude with some drops of citron aroma)
  • 250 grams butter (should be not too hard, it's easier to make the dough then)

Additionally:
  • cookie cutters
  • some more flour to powder your table, the cookie cutters and the rolling pin (otherwise the dough will stick to it)
  • 2 egg yolks to brush the cookies with
The flour and baking powder should be mixed and sieved. Then make a swale(?/ hole) in the middle and put all other ingredients into it. Mix/knead all ingredients with your fingers until you get a homogenous dough.

Let the dough rest in the fridge for 30 to 40 minutes. The dough should always be cold, so take only a part from it out of the fridge. Roll the dough equally out (should only be some millimeters thick).
Then cut forms out of the dough and put them on a buttered baking tray. Brush the forms carefully and thin with egg yolk. But them into the oven for 8 to 12 minutes (depends on your oven and on how thick you rolled the dough) at 180°C (equivalent to 356° Fahrenheit).

When the dough gets too soft from repeated kneading and rolling, put it back into the fridge and take another (cold) part of it.

Additionally you can decorate the cookies with colored sugar granules or chocolate granules, or put two cookies together with jam between them.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 10:12:18 pm »
This thread will be moved to our new Holiday Forum when it launches Thursday 11/23.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 02:54:29 pm »
Lynne's Favorite Pumpkin Pie (Adapted from Molly Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook)

3 cups cooked, pureed pumpkin, squash, or sweet potatoes (...you can sub 29oz can of puree)
3 tbs white sugar
3 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs molasses
0.5 tsp cloves or allspice
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp powdered ginger
0.5 tsp salt
2 beaten eggs
1.5 cups evaporated milk (lowfat OK, but I use sweetened condensed - makes it much richer)

1 unbaked 9" pie crust (you can make this from scratch, but I'm too lazy - usually get refrigerated Pillsbury)

1) Preheat oven to 375 deg F
2) Place puree in a medium mixing bowl; add other ingredients and beat until smooth.
3) Spread into pie crust and bake at 375 10 minutes; reduce temperature to 350 and bake 40 additional minutes or until the pie is firm in the center when shaken lightly.
4) Cool to at least room temperature before serving.

Optional topping:
whipped cream w/a little sugar and rum
whipped cream w/a little sugar and vanilla extract
real vanilla bean ice cream

**Note - it's a pain to cook fresh pumpkin.  You have to cut it, clean out the inside pulp, chop it into manageable-sized wedges, bake it until the pumpkin is soft, then scrape the pumpkin off the shell, then puree it all.  It makes a giant mess.  But it is completely worth the trouble compared to the canned stuff.  Of course, if you prefer sweet potatoes, it becomes a much easier and less messy venture.  ::)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 03:02:50 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 03:33:03 pm »
This looks great, Lynn! One question--are you saying that the evaporated and condensed millk are interchangeable??

Today was the day when Susan Stamberg talked about her famous cranberry relish on NPR!! I make it every year. I was disappointed that she didn't give the recipe, but just referred to it on the internet at npr.org. It's a great relish, though very strange and pepto-bismalish looking.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 04:00:15 pm »
This looks great, Lynn! One question--are you saying that the evaporated and condensed millk are interchangeable??

Today was the day when Susan Stamberg talked about her famous cranberry relish on NPR!! I make it every year. I was disappointed that she didn't give the recipe, but just referred to it on the internet at npr.org. It's a great relish, though very strange and pepto-bismalish looking.

We should go find it and post it - I love cranberry relish...though I grew up on the sauce from a can sliced.  We were always careful to open the top of the can, then start opening the bottom to release the vacuum and get it out in one piece.  ::)

Yep - I use the condensed instead of evaporated - it makes the filling a little thicker than it would be otherwise, but still seems to work fine.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 12:08:25 pm »
First, a cry for help. My Mom, who is visiting, has asked for asparagus as a side dish at Thanksgiving. I serve asparagus at Easter, but I have no idea what to do with it at Thanksgiving. Any ideas out there??

I encourage you to go look up Ma Stamberg's cranberry relish. It is really good. Caution, it has sour cream and horseradish in it. Don't let that stop you!!

It was funny, yesterday, after she gave the customary cranberry relish talk, the announcer said, "This is National Public Relish."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 12:19:02 pm »
I brined my turkey last year and I thought it tasted much better. I think I will do it again this year. Anybody else going this route??

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 01:40:12 pm »
I brined my turkey last year and I thought it tasted much better. I think I will do it again this year. Anybody else going this route??

I got a hankering for deep fat fried turkey this year, but planned it too late.  Will have to wait for Solstice to get one.

I have heard about brining meats, but never have tasted the end results nor knew anyone who went this route.  What's it taste like?

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 02:24:08 pm »
FrontRanger/Lee listed Galangal as an item in her recipe, something I'd never heard of. In case no one else has heard of it either, here's a definition from Wikipedia:

Galangal (also known as blue ginger), is a rhizome with culinary and medicinal uses, best known in the west today for its appearance in Southeast asia cuisine. It resembles ginger in appearance. However, it tastes little like ginger; in its raw form, it has a soapy, earthy aroma and a pine-like flavor with a faint hint of citrus. It is available whole, cut or powdered. Also known as galingale or laos (its Indonesian name). A mixture of galangal and lime juice is used as a tonic in parts of Southeast Asia. Medicinally, it has the effect of an aphrodisiac, and acts as a stimulant.

;) Hmm