Author Topic: Holiday Recipes  (Read 7727 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Holiday Recipes
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2006, 02:46:05 pm »
First, a cry for help. My Mom, who is visiting, has asked for asparagus as a side dish at Thanksgiving. I serve asparagus at Easter, but I have no idea what to do with it at Thanksgiving. Any ideas out there??

I encourage you to go look up Ma Stamberg's cranberry relish. It is really good. Caution, it has sour cream and horseradish in it. Don't let that stop you!!

It was funny, yesterday, after she gave the customary cranberry relish talk, the announcer said, "This is National Public Relish."

I love publc radio :)

I usually like asparagus raw or just lightly steamed.  My ex used to make a bechamel sauce to drizzle over steamed veggies of all varieties (that man was amazing in the kitchen!).  How about something like this Asparagus Rarebit ("an old-fashioned Welsh cream sauce" again credit to Molly Katzen)?  I bet apples and walnuts would make it Thanksgiving-like.

2 tbs butter or margarine
2 tbs flour
1 tsp dry mustard
1.5 cups beer or ale at room temperature (OK if flat)
1 cup packed grated cheddar (0.5 lb)
1 tsp prepared horseradish
1 medium clove garlic, minced
salt, black pepper, & cayenne to taste

1) Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan.  Sprinkle in the flour & dry mustard, whisking constantly.
2) Add the beer or ale and keep whisking as you bring it to a boil.  Lower the heat annd simmer for about 10 minutes, mixing frequently.
3) Add the remaining ingredients, and stir until the cheese melts.
4) Serve hot oveer steamed vegetables and/or cooked potatoes.
5) Garnish with chunks of ripe tomatoes, tart apples, and/or toasted walnuts.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2006, 04:21:44 pm »
I love you, Lynn! This recipe looks perfect for what I need! And I can use the beer left over from making fish tacos for it!! Thank U! I'll report back on how it works at Thanksgiving!!

So I'll steam the asparagus. Doubt if we could find asparagus worth serving raw this time of year. In the spring, I've found a perfect asparagus substitute--I break off the tender shoots of hops vines. They are even more flavorful than asparagus. I started growing hops just for decoration. I wanted something to grow over a fence on my property. The hops is prolifiic and decorative, plus it comes back every year. It is grown in the Rocky Mountains for use in making beer, and is one of the few vines that will grow here. It is soporific (Abe Lincoln had a pillow stuffed with hops that he used for combating sleeplessness), a cousin of marijuana, and probably aphrodisiac as well.

Which reminds me, thanks for the info about galangal, Leslie! Maybe I eat too much galangal, that's my problem! (But I think it's that I think about BBM too much!) I love the scent of galangal, a resinous aromatic musky aroma. I buy the fresh rhizomes at the Oriental market, it's no good dried. Sometimes I char it over the stove, which brings out its flavor and aroma even more.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2006, 11:48:45 pm »
We have opened up our new Holiday Forum.  We have sections for individual recipes.  Feel free to repost your recipes in the appropriate subjects in the new forum.  One of our moderators may be moving some of these recipes into the new forum, but splitting and moving messages can be a pain, so if you can do it yourselves, that would always be helpful.  I hope folks enjoy the new BetterMost Holidays forum.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming