Author Topic: How have your interests/hobbies changed since BbM and B'most?  (Read 6590 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
How have your interests/hobbies changed since BbM and B'most?
« on: October 19, 2006, 10:20:49 pm »
BBbMAB (before Brokeback Mountain and Bettermost) I had no interest in:

Heath Ledger
Jake Gyllenhaal
Cowboys
Cowgirls
Horses
Rural American
Internet communities
chat rooms
visiting people I've never met
Seeing a movie 20+ times
Entertainment Tonight
E! News Daily
Annie Proulx
Being on line for a good part of my waking (and some sleeping) hours

and now-not so much. What have you done to me?!

O0

Heathen

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: How have your interests/hobbies changed since BbM and B'most?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 11:00:05 pm »
Me toux, Roux! I have that exact same list of things I previously wasn't interested in and now am. With the possible exception of horses (I was always mildly interested, though I didn't actually ride them -- allergic), rural America (sort of, in a romanticized way) and Annie Proulx.

Meanwhile, here are some things I used to have much more interest in, BBbMAB:

Other books
Other movies
Magazines
Other stuff online
Answering emails
Cleaning my house
Cooking dinner
Making sure my kids don't kill each other
Making a living
Everything

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 08:23:28 am »
With the possible exception of horses (I was always mildly interested, though I didn't actually ride them -- allergic),

You are starting to scare me, Katherine  ;)
I've always liked horses, but am heavily allergic to them. When I was a child, I could not let my fingers off of them, whenever I saw one. Gave me bad allergic reactions every time and once led me to hospital.

From RouxB:

Heath Ledger

I agree with many things on your list, but especially with this one. I thought of him as just a pretty face, a typical teenie heartthrob. Even when I actually was a teenager, I never was one for these pretty looking, shallowbrained types. Guess you get the picture where I pigeonholed him.

And I had not even heard the names of Jake or Annie Proulx. Now I'm reading her other Wyoming stories a second time (first time was in German) and truly admire her style.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 08:49:34 am »
I second everything on all those lists, the before and after.

In addition, if a year ago, someone had told me I would be a moderator for an online forum, I would have said, "What's that?"

If someone had told me I would be reading fanfiction, I would have said, "What's that?"

If someone had told me I would be writing fanfiction, I would have said, "You're nuts, right?"

Leslie

PS...My favorite of all--someone, somewhere, once, posted that she cut her hair so she would have more time for all her bbm related activities. Since I have short hair, I can't claim that one, but man oh man, did I laugh...

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 08:58:41 am »
RouxB, great thread!

Here's my addition:

If you told me a year ago that I would actually own  cowboy boots and a hat, I'd say, "Not on your effin' life".

Not to mention inviting 20 strangers (all lovely, it turned out) into my home to eat bbq??

And, all because I was on IMDb one day and said, "What's this forum thingie down the bottom?..."

Work be damned.

Love you guys,
Paul

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 10:53:23 am »
Well after Matthew Shepard got killed, I swore I'd never have anything to do with Wyoming. In other words, it was off the list as a place to visit or read about. 

Now, if I could go anywhere in the country, I'd probably pick the Big Horns in Wyoming. Of course, I'd check out Yellowstone as well.  Keep my eyes open for anyone who looks like Jack Twist, of course.  :)  Don't know if I'd patronize any honky-tonks there though. Maybe I'd check out a rodeo and do some shopping in Jackson Hole.  :) 

Alberta would also interest in me as a place to visit, but I always wanted to see the Canadian Rockies, it's just got me more motivated. I had nothing against Alberta beforehand.

I already new about Jake before BBM, though I suppose I follow his career with more attention. Well, his profile has raised so there's always something going on with Jake now.  Pictures at Iheatjake.com with him receiving the National Arts Award in NYC this past Monay are wonderful. 120 photos of Jake in a tux.   He's maturing quite well.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 03:27:00 pm »

Heath Ledger
Jake Gyllenhaal
Cowboys
Cowgirls
Horses
Rural American
Internet communities
chat rooms
visiting people I've never met
Seeing a movie 20+ times
Entertainment Tonight
E! News Daily
Annie Proulx
Being on line for a good part of my waking (and some sleeping) hours

and now-not so much. What have you done to me?!

O0

same here Roux! (not the News Daily or Entertainment Tonight though)
i have recently started taking horseback riding lessons!

In addition, if a year ago, someone had told me I would be a moderator for an online forum, I would have said, "What's that?"

If someone had told me I would be reading fanfiction, I would have said, "What's that?"

me too!

If someone had told me I would be writing fanfiction, I would have said, "You're nuts, right?"

Leslie

Well leslie, what if someone told you your story was now her favorite bedtime literature?  :D

I love being here, i love bettermost  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 03:52:36 pm »
Well, lessee. ...

BBBM, never was part of an on-line community. Now I've made a lot of new friends, some cyber, others actually in person! That's the biggest and best change in my life, the new friends. :D

BBBM I had dismissed Heath Ledger as just another Australian pretty boy. A might pretty pretty boy, but just a pretty boy nonetheless. I had no idea he was capable of such depth as an actor.

Jake Gyllenhaal was just a name to me. I knew he had been in October Sky--which I still have not seen  :laugh: --and I remember reading a short article on both him and his sister Maggie in the "Talk of the Town" section in The New Yorker--that's the other issue of the magazine I wish I had saved, along with the issue of October 13, 1997.

BBBM, if anyone had told me I'd  write and post fanfiction about a couple of gay cowboys, I'd have said he was nuts.

My Western Casual wardrobe has expanded considerably.  ;D Being nearly 20 years in the gay leather-Levi community, of course I owned cowboy boots. But they weren't worn much. Now it's Western Casual all the way!

BBBM, if anyone had told me I would think about developing an interest in professional bullriding as a spectator sport, I'd have said he was nuts. Funny thing about that, though. A couple of years ago I cut an ad out of a Friday morning Philadelphia Inquirer that announced an appearance by the Jim Beam Bull Riding Team--seven young cowboys all dressed alike in red shirts, black hats, and black leather vests and Western chaps (yowzah!)--and all of whom would certainly merit a second look in a gay bar on a Saturday night. That ad has been hanging over my desk since long BBBM, so I guess I had "latent tendencies" so to speak.  ;D

I think I've become at least a teensy bit more of a risk taker--depending on how you define risk taking--like running off to Boston for the weekend, hang the expense (a fella's gotta start somewhere).

Ennis and Jack rule! Brokeback Mountain forever! Yeehaw!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 08:13:53 pm »
I forgot about the whole bull riding thing! The Outdoor Network is my new best friend...

O0

Heathen

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 09:49:50 pm »
I forgot about the whole bull riding thing! The Outdoor Network is my new best friend...

O0

They got bullriding on the Outdoor Network?

Damn! I don't get the Outdoor Network as part of my cable service. Ain't that a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 11:25:55 pm »
FSN also seems to alwyas have Bull Riding on too... :D

...Man I really need to get cable someday.

Offline CoyotePiper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 12:59:34 am »
I never had any interest in C&W music. I'm a guitarist and prefered the electric stuff.

Since BbM, I bought my first 6 string acoustic in 20 years and have been practicing all of Santaolalla's instrumentals. Also picked up a harmonica and have been stuggling to get a tune out of that (not as easy as it looks). Lately I've been pricing banjo's to complete my transformation from a rocker to a C&W/bluegrass picker.

horo35

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 10:55:12 am »
Well I too have new interests cause of this whole BBM phenomenon.  I've never went on forums before...now I'm past a 100 posts...that's a miracle for me!  Never cared about going to movie shoots-even when they shot The Unforgiven in Alberta but with BBM I've been obsessed with taking pics/visiting scenes.  And most of all I respect gay people more than ever, not cause of the movie itself but talking to actual gay people on here and DC forum.  Amazing what a movie has done to so many people.  And I thought Star Wars was THE big thing! ;D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 10:58:04 am by horo35 »

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 11:49:57 am »
That's great horo!

One of the many things I'm doing differently: I'm really looking forward to going to the Denver International Film Festival this year. I missed it last year, including the showing of BBM with appearance by Ang Lee, for the dumbest reason. I couldn't get anyone to go with me. But this year, I'm going by myself if necessary:

http://www.denverfilm.org/festival.cfm?IPID=3
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 12:24:56 pm »
Before BbM, I could enjoy mediocre movies.  Now, if it doesn't move me and change me in some way, it's been a waste of my time.  I still love movies in general and go to see them at the theater as often as possible, even when I know they'll probably disappoint me.  But I haven't loved a movie like Brokeback since Brokeback.  And movies that I used to be able to find mildly entertaining irritate me now if they don't stay with me.

I have high hopes for a movie coming out soon called "Sweet Land."  It's reported to be one of the most beautiful, lyrical films made in a long time, about Norwegian (I think) immigrants in rural Minnesota in the 1920s who are in an arranged marriage and slowly and beautifully come to truly love one another.  I've always been interested in films about rural life - something about that theme of isolation and dependency on the land and nature always strikes a chord.  And I'm really looking forward to seeing "The Queen" this weekend.  But so far, I've seen everything that's worth seeing out there, and they've all fallen flat to varying degrees with me.

Oh, and I used to be an Academy Awards aficionado and enthusiast (is that redundant?) and they're dead to me now.

Damn you, Brokeback!

Actually, thank you, Brokeback.  I like the person I am now a lot more than I liked the one I was a year ago, and I think it's in large part because of you.
No more beans!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
Hey Coyote! Jam for our fellow brokies?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 01:55:39 pm »
Hey Coyote! I'm a pretty decent fiddler. If we came to the same brokie gathering . . .

What if me an' you could have ourselves a duo?  Play some C+W tunes for our fellow brokies.  It'd be a sweet life . . .

I've got a new appreciation for old C+W (not the crap they're putting out now), and the fact that yes, there is a difference between Country and Western! (I love that tune "No One's Gonna Love You Like Me".)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 01:58:36 pm »
I can just see/hear you doing Angel on Fire too! What a sweet concert that would be! Let me know when and where, I'm there!

p.s. See U for supper Sunday!
"chewing gum and duct tape"